GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So long Baby.. Another '15 Bricked

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I ripped 3 pucks off a 6 puck clutch in my DSM.

5500rpm launch spit them right out of the bell housing.

Mmmm4g63

Alright guys little update on my situation. All my go fast parts were lost in the switch but here is my beautiful 2018 DS fkn G GTI PP .

Because I don't like to learn lessons, I left my UM dealer (done with Apr) 20 minutes ago with their adjustable file, s3 dsg tune cranked up to 27 psi and 94 Oct.

To give you manual owners some perspective this car would've ate my fbo Apr jb4 stacked meth spraying 2015 with room to spare. Ok you dicks, I get it now. xD

Cheers

Ell yeah

Sounds like you’re ready for an intercooler now

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just received the parts needed to bypass the clutch sensor switch...a lil ghetto, but worx!!! It felt really good not having to put the clutch in anymore. Right now it's bypassing the clutch pedal, but I'm going to find a splitter and have them both connected. The mounting position isn't final, it's just ziptied to dash undercover. Will mess with it later. Wire was like $8 shipped and the master cylinder was $76 shipped from Jim Ellis VW online.

Last edited:

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
Alright guys little update on my situation. All my go fast parts were lost in the switch but here is my beautiful 2018 DS fkn G GTI PP .

Because I don't like to learn lessons, I left my UM dealer (done with Apr) 20 minutes ago with their adjustable file, s3 dsg tune cranked up to 27 psi and 94 Oct.

To give you manual owners some perspective this car would've ate my fbo Apr jb4 stacked meth spraying 2015 with room to spare. Ok you dicks, I get it now. xD

Cheers

You’re in southern Indiana, yes? Grossman Tuning?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
You’re in southern Indiana, yes? Grossman Tuning?

You are correct sir. Car needs a downpipe and ic bad now.

I'm just gonna be honest.. UMs adjustable file for s1 is almost irresponsible lol.

I would not run it for long on stock hardware. Its pretty aggressive.

blue1

If you own a 7/14 Mexico build date MT TRADE IT asap!!! This is now almost a dozen recorded forum cases and who knows how many unrecorded!

It explains so much though..

Pedal sticking when making sharp right turns (but never down )
1st gear sounding like engine about to shred itself 4k+

The DKM clutch SMFW quickly destroyed the remaining thrust bearing imperfection. If you own a 2015 MT GTI I highly reccomended going DMFW if you're going to keep the car. They are not designed to be used with smfw and obviously will mess them up its just a matter of when.

Any chance you could post a link to some of these other cases of SMFW messing up our cars? I'm just trying to educate myself on the differences here for my upcoming clutch replacement. I also have a 2015, but it is a build date of 03/15.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Any chance you could post a link to some of these other cases of SMFW messing up our cars? I'm just trying to educate myself on the differences here for my upcoming clutch replacement. I also have a 2015, but it is a build date of 03/15.

Literally just google crank walk mk7 or thrust bearing failure mk7 and you can read through about a dozen or so on the forums. Local tech said he's seen 3 happen all 2015 all Mexico plant all 2014 build dates to his knowledge.

But he's seen more than that throw rods out in Rs as well..

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
You are correct sir. Car needs a downpipe and ic bad now.

I'm just gonna be honest.. UMs adjustable file for s1 is almost irresponsible lol.

I would not run it for long on stock hardware. Its pretty aggressive.

Ha, that doesn’t entirely shock me about UM’s software. When I made the trip up to Chicago to get the Unitronic tune on my MK6, there were two MK6 Golf Rs sitting on the lot with UM software that had blown their turbos.

I’m sure their tunes move out, but they’re probably not for me. Although, if it’s user adjustable, I suppose part of the problem is the temptation to keep pushing things.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Ok guys. So ive seen 4 more failures in the last week on fb. What is going on...
What is the common thread?

Are they all modded/tuned?
Are they all running same tune?
Are they all running smf and clutch setup?
Are they all the same year?
Many more questions.

What have you noticed with these 4 failures?