GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So long Baby.. Another '15 Bricked

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Lol I feel like I've had about 3 stickies now . This should probably be one as well but seems to only apply to 2015 MT cars running a smfwr especially built between 5/14-11/14.

This sort of thing typically should not be catastrophic. If it is a sudden failure then you must pay absolutely no attention to your car. Ive had signs of this for the last 6-8 months daily driving 70 miles+ a day and roll racing almost every weekend. It's a slow death. However there were records of the bearings completely snapping off the channel and getting thrown into the pan. That would be pretty sudden.

Watch for what looks like metal shavings in the oil filter and drained oil and try a sharp right hand turn test every few months. If the pedal feels different after that turn... Start looking for a dsg lol. The engine will also get louder and louder in lower gears

Do we know what changed after 11/14 and has anyone confirmed it? That way people can be sure of what they've got in their 2015s.

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
Thrust bearings fail due to the clutch in on start. If you get the interlock function disabled so the the clutch doesn't need to be pressed on start ( when there is no oil pressure) then the problem doesn't occur.

Its 2019 and we are back to the 7bolt 4G63 problems ... these 2.0L turbo manufacturers never learn.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
If you own a 7/14 Mexico build date MT TRADE IT asap!!!
if you own a 2015 MT GTI and it was a 2014 build date Mexico get rid asap!!
If you have a 2014 build date (especially 6/14-7/14) MT 2015, trade it in before it is too late!
This should probably be one as well but seems to only apply to 2015 MT cars running a smfwr especially built between 5/14-11/14.

Where are you getting these dates?

Luckily I'm not experiencing any of the issues you mentioned, but now I know what to look out for, thank you and sorry for the loss (6/14 GTI, ttrs clutch, fluidampr, and 56k)

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Where are you getting these dates?

Luckily I'm not experiencing any of the issues you mentioned, but now I know what to look out for, thank you and sorry for the loss (6/14 GTI, ttrs clutch, fluidampr, and 56k)

Curious as to what your encountered after your installed the Fluidampr....did it quiet down the engine?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have yet to hear of anyone in a 16+ with any of these issues. I recall reading and hearing from several people that cars model year 16 and newer have revised thrust bearings that resolve this issue.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Lol I feel like I've had about 3 stickies now . This should probably be one as well but seems to only apply to 2015 MT cars running a smfwr especially built between 5/14-11/14.

Is this the unicorn build date range? :D Glad you're in a new car and diggin' it!

Do you happen to recall the engine code of the departed? I've been sorta half-assed trying to iron out the story between engine codes and part revisions as i abuse my 3/15 build CXCA. ;)

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Curious as to what your encountered after your installed the Fluidampr....did it quiet down the engine?

More so the engine now feels the same throughout the rev range

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Is this the unicorn build date range? :D Glad you're in a new car and diggin' it!

Do you happen to recall the engine code of the departed? I've been sorta half-assed trying to iron out the story between engine codes and part revisions as i abuse my 3/15 build CXCA. ;)

It was a factory f*** up at the Mexican plant from 5-10/14.

I just learned that VW would have probably given me a new engine no questions asked even with al the tuning..

Oh well.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
So guys what DMFW clutches are out there for our cars that can safety hold Eqt/Littco power levels?

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
So guys what DMFW clutches are out there for our cars that can safety hold Eqt/Littco power levels?

Sachs 4-puck! That's what I just ordered for my EQT.
Lots of info/feedback in the thread I linked

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I wonder how long these 4 pucks typically last with mostly daily driving. I would assume less surface area = shorter lifespan.

Different materials (usually a metallic versus organic) means they will last, but at some point at the expense of your flywheel. Just like running aggressive brake pads you may need to change your rotor more often.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It isn't guaranteed and put me in a bad spot so I have no regrets. It was THEIR FAULT. Nothing to do with what I've done or my driving style. When it finally let go I had been driving 1k miles like a gma. Either the bearing itself wasn't up to standard or it was not properly seated.

There has been instances of them being fixed without a scan but my dealer is not mod friendly so it would be up to vw whether or not to scan or not. With an engine swap, I would imagine they would definitely be scanning but I learned that this was not a certainty

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Sachs 4-puck! That's what I just ordered for my EQT.
Lots of info/feedback in the thread I linked

Seems like a good option if you want to keep the DMF, but I have a friend with that same setup and his DMF is starting to fail after just a bit more then a year of sprited driving with a is38 first then a DBV2 about 4-6 months ago

Different materials (usually a metallic versus organic) means they will last, but at some point at the expense of your flywheel. Just like running aggressive brake pads you may need to change your rotor more often.

Pretty much this /\
The clutch that my friend has seems to hold fine. It's the dual mass part of the flywheel that's failing now. The surface of the flywheel itself is likely fine.

It isn't guaranteed and put me in a bad spot so I have no regrets. It was THEIR FAULT. Nothing to do with what I've done or my driving style. When it finally let go I had been driving 1k miles like a gma. Either the bearing itself wasn't up to standard or it was not properly seated.

There has been instances of them being fixed without a scan but my dealer is not mod friendly so it would be up to vw whether or not to scan or not. With an engine swap, I would imagine they would definitely be scanning but I learned that this was not a certainty
If it's a hardware catastrophic failure of the nature of the thrust bearing then a tune won't break that. If they try to blame the clutch that'd also be dumb.

It sounds like the issue is the engine itself and nothing else can really be blamed