GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Has anyone tried using the stock resonator with an after market muffler and DP? The REV9 is attractive because of the cost but the sound level is a deterrent. I see everyone trying an aftermarket resonator, but it seems like the stock part would be most effective for sound control.

The OEM resonator does absolutely nothing with an aftermarket downpipe. The people you see “trying” stuff either don’t listen because they have to learn the hard way or don’t want to spend the money to achieve the sound they’re after (wanting TBE sound for DP only money).

I show the difference in internal design between OEM and Vibrant in this video.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Looks great! Did this decrease the sound level of the setup? Or just clean it up?

Thanks. Sound level has remained close to the same. Maybe slightly quieter on start up, but what is much more obvious is the deeper overall tone and definitely less "tractor" sound on cold start.

So the bcs resonator delete won't be help with the drone and volume after big turbo upgrade?

The res delete definitely doesn't decrease volume.With regards to drone the BCS res delete with the Helmholtz pipe is much better at mitigating drone than most of the other res deletes out there..especially once you add a DP. There is a lot more feedback on it over on vwroc.com. BCS is a UK based company and is much more popular in Europe vs the US.

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon
Thanks. Sound level has remained close to the same. Maybe slightly quieter on start up, but what is much more obvious is the deeper overall tone and definitely less "tractor" sound on cold start.

The res delete definitely doesn't decrease volume.With regards to drone the BCS res delete with the Helmholtz pipe is much better at mitigating drone than most of the other res deletes out there..especially once you add a DP. There is a lot more feedback on it over on vwroc.com. BCS is a UK based company and is much more popular in Europe vs the US.

I am looking to building a bcs sport profile resonator to replace oem along with muffler delete pipes

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
The OEM resonator does absolutely nothing with an aftermarket downpipe. The people you see “trying” stuff either don’t listen because they have to learn the hard way or don’t want to spend the money to achieve the sound they’re after (wanting TBE sound for DP only money).

I show the difference in internal design between OEM and Vibrant in this video.

Thanks for the advice. I like the exhaust videos you've posted, very clear and to the point. Your exhaust sounds great.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Had 485 Designs here in Denver area fab up a custom midpipe with the Vibrant 17950 today for my R.
If anyone is in the Denver area and looking for a really good fabricator/custom exhaust work Nick is great to work with and very meticulous.
https://www.485designs.net
Thanks again to Jake for the suggestion to add the 17950 based on what I was looking for. After I added the Vortex turbo here recently I was looking for a more deep and rich OEM+ exhaust tone with no real increase in volume and I think the addition of the 17950 has accomplished that. For reference I have a IE catted DP, BCS Powervalve Res delete, and then the stock R suitcase muffler.

View attachment 191005

View attachment 191006

View attachment 191007
Looks good MSH---how is it working out? And how's the ground clearance under this resonator. Was there not a smaller profile Vibrant res that can be used on the R? Asking because I'll likely be doing the same soon.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Looks good MSH---how is it working out? And how's the ground clearance under this resonator. Was there not a smaller profile Vibrant res that can be used on the R? Asking because I'll likely be doing the same soon.

So far so good! Really happy with the tone/sound. Yeah, ground clearance took a every so slight hit. I'll try to get a pic here shortly. It's not bad by any means but the res is the low point on the car now. I would have gone for something smaller but I went with the 17950 based on Jake's strong recommendation that that model just works so well on this platform

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Nice! I'm installing a Trackslag catted DP to res-delete into stock muffler, for now. If it ends up sounding like farm machinery I'll look for someone to install the Vibrant resonator. I have the Vibrant 17950 on hand, but I'm no exhaust fabricator. I'm glad you found those guys to do good work for you, as that can be difficult. I'd happily take it to a local shop, but I don't know of any good ones. Finding a shop familiar with VAG product, with pipe fabrication ability...I'm in Seattle, so open to recommendations.

Attachments

• IMG-0439.JPG
    IMG-0439.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG-0441.JPG
    IMG-0441.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG-0438.JPG
    IMG-0438.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 137

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Nice! I'm installing a Trackslag catted DP to res-delete into stock muffler, for now. If it ends up sounding like farm machinery I'll look for someone to install the Vibrant resonator. I have the Vibrant 17950 on hand, but I'm no exhaust fabricator. I'm glad you found those guys to do good work for you, as that can be difficult. I'd happily take it to a local shop, but I don't know of any good ones. Finding a shop familiar with VAG product, with pipe fabrication ability...I'm in Seattle, so open to recommendations.
Haha, I’m stil waiting to install my trackslag, I think it’s obligatory for any of the owners to do the fist test 😂

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
... I'd happily take it to a local shop, but I don't know of any good ones. Finding a shop familiar with VAG product, with pipe fabrication ability...I'm in Seattle, so open to recommendations.

The only one I'm aware of in Seattle is Achtuning https://www.achtuning.com/
No personal experience, but everything I've read on VW and Audi (audizine) forums they are one of the best in SEA area for VW/Audi. If nothing else maybe they can give some good recommendations on good exhaust fabricators?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So just for people who are unsure about the stuff recommended in this thread... I didn't want a wild exhaust, so I bought the MA Performance catted\resonated downpipe. Which I've been happy with for a year and a half. I grabbed an AWE Track exhaust, since the difference between the Track and Touring versions is just a resonator, and I figured I already had a resonator on my downpipe, so it should be fine.

Well, it was a bit much for my taste, so I grabbed one of Jake's midpipes, which has the Vibrant 17950 in it. Here's the comparison of the resonator on my downpipe, to the 17950....

PXL_20201128_210816120.jpg

I have doubts the resonator on my downpipe actually does anything...

Attachments

• PXL_20201128_211233305.jpg
    PXL_20201128_211233305.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 113

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So just for people who are unsure about the stuff recommended in this thread... I didn't want a wild exhaust, so I bought the MA Performance catted\resonated downpipe. Which I've been happy with for a year and a half. I grabbed an AWE Track exhaust, since the difference between the Track and Touring versions is just a resonator, and I figured I already had a resonator on my downpipe, so it should be fine.

Well, it was a bit much for my taste, so I grabbed one of Jake's midpipes, which has the Vibrant 17950 in it. Here's the comparison of the resonator on my downpipe, to the 17950....

View attachment 194298

I have doubts the resonator on my downpipe actually does anything...

Resonators in downpipes aren’t large enough to provide a notable difference. The only people who say otherwise just have such a quiet exhaust they didn’t need one in the first place.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Resonators in downpipes aren’t large enough to provide a notable difference. The only people who say otherwise just have such a quiet exhaust they didn’t need one in the first place.

I had it included in my down pipe because at the time I had "Well, it has to be better than nothing" attitude. I just had no other frame of reference for a resonator size until getting this vibrant one. But after seeing that, I can understand how it probably wasn't better than nothing. Probably just about equated to nothing.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...I just had no other frame of reference for a resonator size until getting this vibrant one.....

Its a big boy for sure. The exhaust fabricator that added it to my R did a great job of tucking it up as best they could, but the bottom portion of the 17950 is still the low point under my car by a decent margin. I just ordered up some Eibach pro-kit springs with the BF sales going on. Although the Pro-kits are a very mild drop compared to most springs it does concern me a bit.