GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Any input on the Borla resonator 60666? I just installed a Borla cat-back and there is way too much drone in the cabin. I’m torn between that, which would be a direct fit, or the Vibrant 17950, which would need some customization because it’s about six inches too short to fit exactly in place.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I posted pictures of the inside of the Borla resonator, which illustrates why it doesn’t work.

17950 is the way to go, and they can be had in bolt on form.

What do you mean by they can be had in bolt on form? I just ordered the one from Amazon that was about $80 and says it’s 18” long.

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Isn't that obvious? Bolt on as opposed to welded in.

Yes I understand that. Though for my application with the Borla system, it requires a 24” piece of pipe and this resonator is 18” long. So a separate 6” piece of pipe would still have to be clamped or welded to it to make it fit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes I understand that. Though for my application with the Borla system, it requires a 24” piece of pipe and this resonator is 18” long. So a separate 6” piece of pipe would still have to be clamped or welded to it to make it fit.

I don't get that. Why does it require a 24" piece of pipe?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I don't get that. Why does it require a 24" piece of pipe?

So this piece I have circled is where the resonator would go. It’s currently a 24” piece of straight pipe. I would be replacing that with the 18” resonator. So there’s still a 6” difference. Unless there’s something I’m missing here..

Attachments

• C89CA14F-BF9A-4CDA-B3F7-9A6A1C3B13AC.jpeg
    C89CA14F-BF9A-4CDA-B3F7-9A6A1C3B13AC.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 113

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You just don't cut as much out. Only what's necessary to fit the Vibrant resonator.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What do you mean by they can be had in bolt on form? I just ordered the one from Amazon that was about $80 and says it’s 18” long.
He means the bolt on option can be had from him... but he cannot advertise here.

I can as a member though tell you that you could either take the one you have in the mail to an exhaust shop and get it mig boogered on (will work).
Cut your existing exhaust up and add some clamps on both ends (potential to leak).

Or return the one you have and email Jake for a bolt on mid pipe with the resonator installed already.
jlbaun26@gmail.com

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I've been searching this thread, youtube, etc looking for a sound/vid clip of someone that has done a upgraded catted DP (in my case IE)+res delete+ stock exhaust on an R with the addition of a Vibrant 17950 in the midpipe section, but no luck finding anything. Jake has an R vid on his channel but that one is a custom exhaust he did a few years ago. Definitely some GTI content out there with the set up I mention, but tough to find an R.
Anyone done this or seen some vid clips with something similar?
Goal is to just get deeper, richer tone, which according to Jake can be accomplished with the addition of the 17950 on my set up....was just hoping to find a sound clip before I have something fab'd up by a local shop.

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon
I've been searching this thread, youtube, etc looking for a sound/vid clip of someone that has done a upgraded catted DP (in my case IE)+res delete+ stock exhaust on an R with the addition of a Vibrant 17950 in the midpipe section, but no luck finding anything. Jake has an R vid on his channel but that one is a custom exhaust he did a few years ago. Definitely some GTI content out there with the set up I mention, but tough to find an R.
Anyone done this or seen some vid clips with something similar?
Goal is to just get deeper, richer tone, which according to Jake can be accomplished with the addition of the 17950 on my set up....was just hoping to find a sound clip before I have something fab'd up by a local shop.
17950 won't fit in the middle section. It has to be bolt on close to the downpipe section

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Correct, for AWD cars the 17950 only fits in the area where the DP & CBE would normally meet so both pieces need extensive modification.
17950 won't fit in the middle section. It has to be bolt on close to the downpipe section

Thanks guys. I have a IE downpipe, so cat is up top close to the turbo instead of further downstream like a APR DP for example. Here is a pic from the IE website of the bottom of the R midpipe section. Looking at Jake's video it looks like the 17950 would have to go where I circled in red? Does that seem correct or does it need to go further up where the upper DP connects to the midpipe section?
I was set to go to these guys tomorrow morning to get the 17950 installed here in the Denver area. They have done a lot of really nice custom work on Audis. https://www.485designs.net/fabrication
I'm sure they would have no problems doing a very high quality, custom set up with the 17950, but starting to think this may be getting out of what I was hoping to spend on this just to add the resonator

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 9.01.00 AM.png

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys. I have a IE downpipe, so cat is up top close to the turbo instead of further downstream like a APR DP for example. Here is a pic from the IE website of the bottom of the R midpipe section. Looking at Jake's video it looks like the 17950 would have to go where I circled in red? Does that seem correct or does it need to go further up where the upper DP connects to the midpipe section?
I was set to go to these guys tomorrow morning to get the 17950 installed here in the Denver area. They have done a lot of really nice custom work on Audis. https://www.485designs.net/fabrication
I'm sure they would have no problems doing a very high quality, custom set up with the 17950, but starting to think this may be getting out of what I was hoping to spend on this just to add the resonator

View attachment 190814

You need to pick a side of the driveshaft for it to go on and do the fabrication to accommodate that.

If the 17950 were installed crossing the driveshaft as that IE DP does it would hang several inches lower than the rest of the car causing serious ground clearance issues