GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
You need to pick a side of the driveshaft for it to go on and do the fabrication to accommodate that.

If the 17950 were installed crossing the driveshaft as that IE DP does it would hang several inches lower than the rest of the car causing serious ground clearance issues

Thanks Jake. Understood that the 17950 can't be installed with the design on the stock IE DP midpipe section. I was more asking where the actual 17950 would have to be installed for the custom midpipe section and I'm clear on that now. These guys at 485 designs will be able to fab up whatever is required. Again, just thinking this may price things out of what I'm willing to spend at this point.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake. Understood that the 17950 can't be installed with the design on the stock IE DP midpipe section. I was more asking where the actual 17950 would have to be installed for the custom midpipe section and I'm clear on that now. These guys at 485 designs will be able to fab up whatever is required. Again, just thinking this may price things out of what I'm willing to spend at this point.

Make sure you voice your concern for a tidy installation and maximum ground clearance. I can’t find the email with pictures, but a forum member in NY was in the same boat as you and had a VERY reputable shop do the work...they lazily installed the 17950 across the drive shaft so it not only rattled on the car but also contacted the ground in normal drive conditions

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Make sure you voice your concern for a tidy installation and maximum ground clearance. I can’t find the email with pictures, but a forum member in NY was in the same boat as you and had a VERY reputable shop do the work...they lazily installed the 17950 across the drive shaft so it not only rattled on the car but also contacted the ground in normal drive conditions

Perfect. Appreciate all the help. I forwarded your comments and the pic to them. Will have them take a close look tomorrow and we will get it figured out. I'll post up pix and video/sound clip should I move forward.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think this has been discussed before, but how does a dual muffler setup vs single muffler impact sound? From what I've seen the dual setup is typically after the Y behind the axle. I imagine the CFM flow is half at that point, but not sure how that impacts sound.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I don't think this has been discussed before, but how does a dual muffler setup vs single muffler impact sound? From what I've seen the dual setup is typically after the Y behind the axle. I imagine the CFM flow is half at that point, but not sure how that impacts sound.

Its never been compared apples to apples due to packaging. There simply isn’t room to run two mufflers the same size as what most run as a single...plus there’s really no reason to run two.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Its never been compared apples to apples due to packaging. There simply isn’t room to run two mufflers the same size as what most run as a single...plus there’s really no reason to run two.
I ran 2 solely for a look that I wanted... and well cause I already had the muffler 😂.

now that I’m entertaining the idea of adding one of the 2 lower “real” diffusers though it was kinda pointless even for the looks, lol. To be noted it was such a pain to get it to fit and be as close (still not perfect) symmetrical as we could, and it didn’t help that we aren’t experienced exhaust fabricators

29F0EE66-2F96-40A0-9100-EF67398BC29F.jpeg

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I ran 2 solely for a look that I wanted... and well cause I already had the muffler 😂.

now that I’m entertaining the idea of adding one of the 2 lower “real” diffusers though it was kinda pointless even for the looks, lol. To be noted it was such a pain to get it to fit and be as close (still not perfect) symmetrical as we could, and it didn’t help that we aren’t experienced exhaust fabricators

View attachment 190836

We don’t have a single XR1 set up to compare it to is my point, so I can’t speak to the effects 2 vs 1 on sound/volume although you’d have to assume it would be slightly turned down in all departments with two after the Y

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
We don’t have a single XR1 set up to compare it to is my point, so I can’t speak to the effects 2 vs 1 on sound/volume although you’d have to assume it would be slightly turned down in all departments with two after the Y

I have been following this thread and a couple of others. I might actually get an XR1 welded into the REV9 midpipe. I haven't installed the exhaust due simply because I had a feeling it would be too loud/have too much drone with my IE DP. Just need to determine if a round vs. oval. I printed a template for an oval to check clearance in the exhaust tunnel.

Then to decide if a Sportsman or MultiCore would be a better route. Looks like I have a 17950 to sell since they don't accomplish anything on that particular exhaust. Worked wonders on the stock GTI exhaust.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have been following this thread and a couple of others. I might actually get an XR1 welded into the REV9 midpipe. I haven't installed the exhaust due simply because I had a feeling it would be too loud/have too much drone with my IE DP. Just need to determine if a round vs. oval. I printed a template for an oval to check clearance in the exhaust tunnel.

Then to decide if a Sportsman or MultiCore would be a better route. Looks like I have a 17950 to sell since they don't accomplish anything on that particular exhaust. Worked wonders on the stock GTI exhaust.

Like I’ve said you need a sufficient resonator and muffler with an aftermarket downpipe...REV9 provides neither so you’ll need a real muffler to accompany that 17950

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Had 485 Designs here in Denver area fab up a custom midpipe with the Vibrant 17950 today for my R.
If anyone is in the Denver area and looking for a really good fabricator/custom exhaust work Nick is great to work with and very meticulous.
https://www.485designs.net
Thanks again to Jake for the suggestion to add the 17950 based on what I was looking for. After I added the Vortex turbo here recently I was looking for a more deep and rich OEM+ exhaust tone with no real increase in volume and I think the addition of the 17950 has accomplished that. For reference I have a IE catted DP, BCS Powervalve Res delete, and then the stock R suitcase muffler.

Vibrant#1.jpg

Vibrant#2.jpg

Vibrant#3.jpg

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Had 485 Designs here in Denver area fab up a custom midpipe with the Vibrant 17950 today for my R.
If anyone is in the Denver area and looking for a really good fabricator/custom exhaust work Nick is great to work with and very meticulous.
Thanks again to Jake for the suggestion to add the 17950 based on what I was looking for. After I added the Vortex turbo here recently I was looking for a more deep and rich OEM+ exhaust tone with no real increase in volume and I think the addition of the 17950 has accomplished that. For reference I have a IE catted DP, BCS Powervalve Res delete, and then the stock R suitcase muffler.

View attachment 191005

View attachment 191006

View attachment 191007

Looks great! Did this decrease the sound level of the setup? Or just clean it up?

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon

View attachment 191005

View attachment 191006

View attachment 191007
So the bcs resonator delete won't be help with the drone and volume after big turbo upgrade?

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
Like I’ve said you need a sufficient resonator and muffler with an aftermarket downpipe...REV9 provides neither so you’ll need a real muffler to accompany that 17950

Has anyone tried using the stock resonator with an after market muffler and DP? The REV9 is attractive because of the cost but the sound level is a deterrent. I see everyone trying an aftermarket resonator, but it seems like the stock part would be most effective for sound control.