GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello Jake and crew,

I’m writing in this thread Incase anyone else has a similar question or situation as me. I have a 2016R stg 2 custom tuned with apr catted/res DP & stock muffler. My difficult goal is weight reduction and least amount of noise. I know crazy! My idea is to get rid of stock muffler and throw in 1 or 2 17950s(or something else)starting from where APR DP ends with a turn down pipe at the end of the 17950.
not sure if anyone has done this before or would make any suggestions for least amount of weight with least amount of noise as possible with a APR catted/res DP? where would I want to place the resonator(s)?

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon
Hello Jake and crew,

I’m writing in this thread Incase anyone else has a similar question or situation as me. I have a 2016R stg 2 custom tuned with apr catted/res DP & stock muffler. My difficult goal is weight reduction and least amount of noise. I know crazy! My idea is to get rid of stock muffler and throw in 1 or 2 17950s(or something else)starting from where APR DP ends with a turn down pipe at the end of the 17950.
not sure if anyone has done this before or would make any suggestions for least amount of weight with least amount of noise as possible with a APR catted/res DP? where would I want to place the resonator(s)?

Keep the oem resonator and do muffler delete.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hello Jake and crew,

You’d want a 17950 and a Borla Pro XS.

Two resonators isn’t any better than one, they do the same job.

No, don’t do that.

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
My OEM resonator is already off and not coming back so wouldn’t be able to. Again trying as much weight reduction as possible too.

E.TMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
You’d want a 17950 and a Borla Pro XS.

Two resonators isn’t any better than one, they do the same job.

No, don’t do that.
Thanks Jake!!! is the Borla pro XS could be bought on Amazon I’m guessing? Not referring to a complete exhaust right?
Then the turndown pipe behind the borla pro xs?
Lastly any thoughts on MBRP pro series muffler delete system?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake!!! is the Borla pro XS could be bought on Amazon I’m guessing? Not referring to a complete exhaust right?
Then the turndown pipe behind the borla pro xs?
Lastly any thoughts on MBRP pro series muffler delete system?

I’d buy it from a reputable source like Summit Racing.

No comment on that. I’m a fabricator and don’t endorse junk

adgainai95

Car(s)
Golf R wagon
My OEM resonator is already off and not coming back so wouldn’t be able to. Again trying as much weight reduction as possible too.

My current setup is drone free on stage 2 with oem resonator and muffer delete, while i have some sound deadenings in the boot floor, under rear seat and rear wheel arch.

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Adding a data point to go with this thread.

I've had the UR catted/resonated DP with stock cat back for about 25k miles. The sound is no doubt very close to stock and no drone. The down side is that UR uses a flange system on their exhaust systems which boxes you in to their products unless you go to a shop of course. The other downside is that the rear resonator flange is extremely close to the tunnel brace and hits and vibrates. A few folks have reported this. To eliminate the rattle and the redundant resonators I had both replaced with a 17950.

The sound difference is almost not noticeable. At the very least the sound is slightly "bigger" but not louder and no drone. I may end up doing the borla but I'm afraid it may be a little too loud for my taste.

Also to note the UR resonator has their branding but looks a lot like the Vibrant Ultra-quiet. Who knows?

IMG_20201202_202950.jpg
IMG_20201202_203012.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Adding a data point to go with this thread.

I've had the UR catted/resonated DP with stock cat back for about 25k miles. The sound is no doubt very close to stock and no drone. The down side is that UR uses a flange system on their exhaust systems which boxes you in to their products unless you go to a shop of course. The other downside is that the rear resonator flange is extremely close to the tunnel brace and hits and vibrates. A few folks have reported this. To eliminate the rattle and the redundant resonators I had both replaced with a 17950.

The sound difference is almost not noticeable. At the very least the sound is slightly "bigger" but not louder and no drone. I may end up doing the borla but I'm afraid it may be a little too loud for my taste.

Also to note the UR resonator has their branding but looks a lot like the Vibrant Ultra-quiet. Who knows?

View attachment 194819View attachment 194820

Similar, but not a Vibrant UQ.

Here’s a pair I used on a Q50 3.7 last week

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Jake, I went with your suggestion and swapped the CTS CBE for the CSS muffler. I've been reading that res delete would deepen the tone and some of the videos I've seen would suggest the same. However, I'm not trying to spend $150+ on a pipe and 2 clamps to accomplish that. Any recommendations? Do you sell a res delete kit?