GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So long Baby.. Another '15 Bricked

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Time will tell I suppose, it will be heartbreaking if I get this back together only to find that I'm having a thrust bearing failure, with 8k miles on a built motor. Anything I can check while she's sort of apart? Upper timing cover is off but not planning to remove lower.
Check side to side movement of the crank shaft. I believe there's a certain allowable amount that was posted earlier in this thread. I forget the exact name of the gauge needed. To visualize the amount of movement side to side.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Time will tell I suppose, it will be heartbreaking if I get this back together only to find that I'm having a thrust bearing failure, with 8k miles on a built motor. Anything I can check while she's sort of apart? Upper timing cover is off but not planning to remove lower.

With oil temp below 130*, take a GNARLY right hand turn (a quick one, but safely, enough to send things flying If they were in your trunk) and immediately press the pedal to quickly shift into a gear right after the turn.

When you release the pedal to engage the clutch it will NOTABLY feel different if it's walking.

A7xogg

Passed Driver's Ed
Below is a picture of where I placed the magnet on the clutch pedal switch and the magnet I used itself. It is the brake pedal side of the clutch pedal for reference.

just an FYI, if the magnet isn’t positioned perfectly, the car partially cranks and throws an epc. It goes away if you turn the car on and off. It’s easy to get it in proper position if you get under the dash and do it, but this is only so feasible to do parking in public places. Also, my RSR pressure plate has eased up a lot in a week since installing it so I kind of abandoned this for now. View attachment 160538View attachment 160539
This worked for me, gotta get a hang where that sweet spot is for one try cranks

A7xogg

Passed Driver's Ed
Update on the magnet, it's been working every time once I found that sweet spot/angle for it. An epic will show if the car tries to start and fails if the magnet moves while starting, but goes away once you use the clutch to start the car. Gonna get creative once the holidays past to try and make an oem like bracket, slide and guide to make something so you can just sit in the seat comfortably and just start the car like oem

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Update on the magnet, it's been working every time once I found that sweet spot/angle for it. An epic will show if the car tries to start and fails if the magnet moves while starting, but goes away once you use the clutch to start the car. Gonna get creative once the holidays past to try and make an oem like bracket, slide and guide to make something so you can just sit in the seat comfortably and just start the car like oem

Mount a small electromagnet rig right there which is powered up from the fusebox during switch on?

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
I’ll be interested to see what you guys come up with. I don’t have anything on hand to make some sort of solution that doesn’t look super ghetto to place the magnet for starting.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
This idea is really interesting. If a fixed mounted electromagnet worked, would there be enough time between car's electronics turning on and its sending juice to the starter to work, or would the magnet need to already be on first? Like turn car on, wait 2 seconds then start.

This is the first time I ever wished I owned a 3d printer - for building a mounting rig. Maybe it's finally an excuse to buy one.

You used what exactly? A small neodymium disc magnet, yes? Hard to see exactly but I don't know what else it could be.

Edit: it's just like a simple shop magnet parts grabber thing, I think?

Last edited:

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
This idea is really interesting. If a fixed mounted electromagnet worked, would there be enough time between car's electronics turning on and its sending juice to the starter to work, or would the magnet need to already be on first? Like turn car on, wait 2 seconds then start.

This is the first time I ever wished I owned a 3d printer - for building a mounting rig. Maybe it's finally an excuse to buy one.

You used what exactly? A small neodymium disc magnet, yes? Hard to see exactly but I don't know what else it could be.

Edit: it's just like a simple shop magnet parts grabber thing, I think?

That is exactly what the magnet is.

A fixed electromagnet would have to be wired to get power from the starter switch itself. If you just powered it from something that is on when the ignition is on, the car will think the clutch is depressed when it isn’t and likely will cause some sort of issue. Whether it will have enough time to adequately power up wired to the starter switch is anyone’s guess.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
That is exactly what the magnet is.

A fixed electromagnet would have to be wired to get power from the starter switch itself. If you just powered it from something that is on when the ignition is on, the car will think the clutch is depressed when it isn’t and likely will cause some sort of issue. Whether it will have enough time to adequately power up wired to the starter switch is anyone’s guess.

Right. I was thinking if using electro magnet, it could either have a manual on/off power switch (ghetto) or wire in some kind of logic circuit that either detects that the car is now running and shuts magnet off, or just uses a fixed time delay and shuts off a few seconds after it energizes. Or some shizz like dat. I'm not an electrical engineer, just a computer engineer.

I just ordered some neodymium disc's and a few small electromagnets off Amazon to experiment with tomorrow.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Somehow I didn’t think of just adding a manual toggle switch into the circuit. Being that I don’t know what a neodymium disc is, I’d probably just go that route and just leave the switch in the little cubby in front of the fuse box. I’m ok with ghetto if it’s not visible lol.

Definitely will be interested in what you ordered if you get it to work, thanks for experimenting.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Somehow I didn’t think of just adding a manual toggle switch into the circuit. Being that I don’t know what a neodymium disc is, I’d probably just go that route and just leave the switch in the little cubby in front of the fuse box. I’m ok with ghetto if it’s not visible lol.

Definitely will be interested in what you ordered if you get it to work, thanks for experimenting.

Neodymium discs are just the same thing as in your shop magnet tool. I was being fancy.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I am wondering if perhaps it's time for the clutch interlock bypass talk to leave the parent's basement and become it's own thread?

Looking for 12VDC electromagnets - here is a 1/2 in x 1/2 inch unit....
https://www.aecmagnetics.com/store/automation/round-12-volt-dc/ce-050-12c-1-detail

I gave this a try last night. First with neodymium magnets. Using two 15mm dia x 3mm thick magnets stacked on top of each other - I figured out where to position them to get it to work. A single magnet will also work, but it seems that you have to be more precise in placement due to the weaker field. The polarity didn't seem to make a difference. More than two of the magnets also didn't seem to matter.

However, when trying with two different electro magnets like linked above, I was unable to get it to work. I was monitoring both the clutch activation (any movement) and clutch start (pushed all the way in) sensors in VCDS and couldn't get either to flip over. The activation sensor is more sensitive and in my neodymium magnet tests was always first to flip.

There's a significant difference in force between the neo magnets and the small electros. The neo discs are much stronger. I think it's possible no 12v electro magnets exist that are small enough to fit into the right spot yet strong enough to work, but i'm not a magnet expert just yet. Maybe there's some combo of neo discs + electro where it's just strong enough to work when switched on? I was going to fiddle around with that combo later this week.

Last edited: