GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
I suspect the early posts all mention 791x because the digital dash was available across the pond before it was a available here. North America only got it in the 7.5 Golf R. By the time that was released people were already retrofitting the EU units.
Thanks for the reply ..... love some of the retrofits you have successfully implemented.

After reading through multiple threads I came across many mentions of incompatibility between the different software revisions and installed Hardware. Very often these are not accompanied by the actual vehicle they were observed in. I don't know if these concerns were proven to be wrong.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
For Example:

For anyone following along: chatted with @simaservis1108 last night and it's sounding like the "A" versions (whether 791A for Euro or 891A for NAR) is incompatible with the Mk7.5 (or at least, 2019 and newer 7.5s.) What I need is the "B" version (like many here who have done the 791B Euro part) but it turns out there IS an 891B NAR part as well that I've never seen referenced anywhere and never thought to look for for some reason. Sounds like probably user error in this case, but definitely fair warning to anyone out there considering this retrofit: if you want to use the NA AID, do NOT get 891A -- 891B is what you need.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For Example:
Yea I remember that post. That's a later (7.5) car going with an earlier "A" part. If that were me I would have gone with a "B" in the first place. And as mentioned there, the early posts don't even talk about the 891 part, much less the A or B versions.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yea I remember that post. That's a later (7.5) car going with an earlier "A" part. If that were me I would have gone with a "B" in the first place. And as mentioned there, the early posts don't even talk about the 891 part, much less the A or B versions.
For Example:
I am the dumbass in question :) Yes, absolutely should have gone with the "B" in the first place; I cannot now fathom why it never occurred to me to put two and two together and realize there'd be an 891B part as well. 791B has been working perfectly for me so as @Cuzoe said, whether it's 791B or 891B, get whichever is cheaper. Only thing to steer away from (no pun intended) is the "A" version.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I am the dumbass in question :) Yes, absolutely should have gone with the "B" in the first place; I cannot now fathom why it never occurred to me to put two and two together and realize there'd be an 891B part as well. 791B has been working perfectly for me so as @Cuzoe said, whether it's 791B or 891B, get whichever is cheaper. Only thing to steer away from (no pun intended) is the "A" version.
Hey! I have an A version... and I ain't happy about it either 😁.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I've read the whole thread and it looks like this is what I need for a 2018 GTI SE without nav/fender audio:

5G1-920-791B AID
5G0-897-189B-AAH trim
use existing MOST cable from analog or new 90cm MOST FIBER cable (no splitter)?
have the shop program keys to immobilizer, current mileage, and long coding (all references seem to be for maps, which I don't care about with carplay?).

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Sounds right to me but I would refer to the experts to respond with more conviction. I ordered my kit but haven't installed it yet.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I'm seeing here and there, component protection also needs to be disabled, gateway programming/updates.

Also nice to see old prices were $700ish and now they're $1200-1600 for the AID.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I've read the whole thread and it looks like this is what I need for a 2018 GTI SE without nav/fender audio:

5G1-920-791B AID
5G0-897-189B-AAH trim
use existing MOST cable from analog or new 90cm MOST FIBER cable (no splitter)?
have the shop program keys to immobilizer, current mileage, and long coding (all references seem to be for maps, which I don't care about with carplay?).
That all sounds right to me. I don't believe the analog cluster has a MOST cable so you more than likely would need the straight MOST without splitter since you don't have Fender. (I actually have one laying around, shoot me a DM if you want it, I'll throw it in the mail for you.)

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
I got a 2015 GTI. Was planning on upgrading to MIB 2.5 with 9.2 screen and AID cluster. I really like the centered gauge layout in the mk8 with the one big gauge (tach/speed) both in the middle. Is it possible to get this gauge layout on MIB 2.5/AID? or is this only possible with MK8 hardware. If it's the latter, is it possible to retrofit MIB3 and MK8 AID into mk7?

MK8 GTI Guage.jpg

MK8 GTI Guage 2.jpg

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Probably very unlikely. I think it has been mentioned before, but the MIB3 gets constant over the air updates from VW and such. It's also locked down way more than the MIB2.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It doesn't look exactly like that, but you can get aftermarket Chinese units that will do the larger center tach layout.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
Probably very unlikely. I think it has been mentioned before, but the MIB3 gets constant over the air updates from VW and such. It's also locked down way more than the MIB2.
It doesn't look exactly like that, but you can get aftermarket Chinese units that will do the larger center tach layout.

Thanks for the replies. Not interested in going the Chinese route. Guess I'll just stick with the normal mk7.5 layout.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
has anyone in this thread done this swap and can recommend a VW dealership for the coding? I'm in Tennessee, but willing to drive a bit. Would feel way better going somewhere that I know has successfully done this before since it's not exactly a standard service.