GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No worries... I always choose yes to view experimental... often it will let you see neat options for things not normally featured on your car. They'll be in Germain, and they might not work, but you can always undo the change.
- Speaking of which... you should run an Auto-scan (after clearing faults) and get adaptation maps for all the modules (just select all, and let it run).
- Save those away somewhere, read-only. That way as/if you experiment/learn about the modules and options you can always get back to how it was, with everything working.
- Also, unless a set of changes are dependent on each other... make one change at a time. I've gotten excited and checked/unchecked several boxes and broken things, albeit temporarily.
- In the VCDS folder there is a log of changes made, but you'll want to avoid having to refer it to fix/restore things you broke. Looking at your saved scans is much easier.

Your car already has the front radar, and your scan shows park assist which means you have the bi-directional rear ABS sensors... you can almost certainly get ACC retrofitted without needing any hardware changes.

If you're interested in that, now or in the future, there are a few folks you might reach out to. I'll leave them unmentioned unless you're interested.

GolfAlltrack

No worries... I always choose yes to view experimental... often it will let you see neat options for things not normally featured on your car. They'll be in Germain, and they might not work, but you can always undo the change.
- Speaking of which... you should run an Auto-scan (after clearing faults) and get adaptation maps for all the modules (just select all, and let it run).
- Save those away somewhere, read-only. That way as/if you experiment/learn about the modules and options you can always get back to how it was, with everything working.
- Also, unless a set of changes are dependent on each other... make one change at a time. I've gotten excited and checked/unchecked several boxes and broken things, albeit temporarily.
- In the VCDS folder there is a log of changes made, but you'll want to avoid having to refer it to fix/restore things you broke. Looking at your saved scans is much easier.

Your car already has the front radar, and your scan shows park assist which means you have the bi-directional rear ABS sensors... you can almost certainly get ACC retrofitted without needing any hardware changes.

If you're interested in that, now or in the future, there are a few folks you might reach out to. I'll leave them unmentioned unless you're interested.
I will be sure to run an autoscan now that I have everything set up right. Ha I have done so much coding to this car though, I'm not sure I could get it back to how it came from the factory unless I went back to a dealer and had them reset it. Coding in the mk7.5 Variant R tails, single side parking lights, and so much more. I do have park assist which I use fairly often when I'm in the city. It works amazing.
Now since I have a mk7, 2017, am I understanding my research correctly in that I can't activate the ambient lighting in the infotainment/AID? I like the Alltrack dials, and the floating dots, but would like to keep the blue color theme going. When I change to the alltrack dials, I can get the blue color but then I lose the dots. I was using that google docs spreadsheet to help me but it doesn't seem like I'm getting any luck.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@GolfAlltrack There are limits to the possible combinations with the coding of the AID. You might be trying for a combination that is not possible, unfortunately.
Even if you don't have a "stock" scan... take and store a scan of your car in a working configuration, even if it's with your current mods. You want to have a "baseline" backup somewhere.

Pre-facelift BCM's (and Gateways) do not support selectable colors for Infotainment/AID. Not saying you can't retrofit both... it has been done and documented by myself and Xabhax.
We aren't the first to have done it, but finding the process (semi) well documented proved difficult. Pictures of the results are on page 2 of that thread.

Pre-facelift highline BCM's do support multi-colored ambient lighting (which is another topic entirely) in a limited way. See my "research" here... ultimately I decided to retrofit a facelift BCM.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Quick Q for you guys.....I am ready to order my parts and am confused as to the correct AID unit to purchase.....5G1 920 791, 791A, 791B / 5G1 920 891, 891A, 891B
I know the 700 series is the European version and the 800 series the North American. The differences in icons does not bother me.
I have a 2019 Alltrack Execline. Thank you for any guidance you can provide :)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Quick Q for you guys.....I am ready to order my parts and am confused as to the correct AID unit to purchase.....5G1 920 791, 791A, 791B / 5G1 920 891, 891A, 891B
I know the 700 series is the European version and the 800 series the North American. The differences in icons does not bother me.
I have a 2019 Alltrack Execline. Thank you for any guidance you can provide :)
"B" is the later software version of either 791 or 891.

I guess if you can get a 791x dash cheaper/easier then go with it. Other than that no reason not to get the "proper" 891x unit.

I suspect the early posts all mention 791x because the digital dash was available across the pond before it was a available here. North America only got it in the 7.5 Golf R. By the time that was released people were already retrofitting the EU units.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
I suspect the early posts all mention 791x because the digital dash was available across the pond before it was a available here. North America only got it in the 7.5 Golf R. By the time that was released people were already retrofitting the EU units.
Thanks for the reply ..... love some of the retrofits you have successfully implemented.

After reading through multiple threads I came across many mentions of incompatibility between the different software revisions and installed Hardware. Very often these are not accompanied by the actual vehicle they were observed in. I don't know if these concerns were proven to be wrong.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
For Example:

For anyone following along: chatted with @simaservis1108 last night and it's sounding like the "A" versions (whether 791A for Euro or 891A for NAR) is incompatible with the Mk7.5 (or at least, 2019 and newer 7.5s.) What I need is the "B" version (like many here who have done the 791B Euro part) but it turns out there IS an 891B NAR part as well that I've never seen referenced anywhere and never thought to look for for some reason. Sounds like probably user error in this case, but definitely fair warning to anyone out there considering this retrofit: if you want to use the NA AID, do NOT get 891A -- 891B is what you need.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For Example:
Yea I remember that post. That's a later (7.5) car going with an earlier "A" part. If that were me I would have gone with a "B" in the first place. And as mentioned there, the early posts don't even talk about the 891 part, much less the A or B versions.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yea I remember that post. That's a later (7.5) car going with an earlier "A" part. If that were me I would have gone with a "B" in the first place. And as mentioned there, the early posts don't even talk about the 891 part, much less the A or B versions.
For Example:
I am the dumbass in question :) Yes, absolutely should have gone with the "B" in the first place; I cannot now fathom why it never occurred to me to put two and two together and realize there'd be an 891B part as well. 791B has been working perfectly for me so as @Cuzoe said, whether it's 791B or 891B, get whichever is cheaper. Only thing to steer away from (no pun intended) is the "A" version.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I am the dumbass in question :) Yes, absolutely should have gone with the "B" in the first place; I cannot now fathom why it never occurred to me to put two and two together and realize there'd be an 891B part as well. 791B has been working perfectly for me so as @Cuzoe said, whether it's 791B or 891B, get whichever is cheaper. Only thing to steer away from (no pun intended) is the "A" version.
Hey! I have an A version... and I ain't happy about it either 😁.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I've read the whole thread and it looks like this is what I need for a 2018 GTI SE without nav/fender audio:

5G1-920-791B AID
5G0-897-189B-AAH trim
use existing MOST cable from analog or new 90cm MOST FIBER cable (no splitter)?
have the shop program keys to immobilizer, current mileage, and long coding (all references seem to be for maps, which I don't care about with carplay?).

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Sounds right to me but I would refer to the experts to respond with more conviction. I ordered my kit but haven't installed it yet.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I'm seeing here and there, component protection also needs to be disabled, gateway programming/updates.

Also nice to see old prices were $700ish and now they're $1200-1600 for the AID.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I've read the whole thread and it looks like this is what I need for a 2018 GTI SE without nav/fender audio:

5G1-920-791B AID
5G0-897-189B-AAH trim
use existing MOST cable from analog or new 90cm MOST FIBER cable (no splitter)?
have the shop program keys to immobilizer, current mileage, and long coding (all references seem to be for maps, which I don't care about with carplay?).
That all sounds right to me. I don't believe the analog cluster has a MOST cable so you more than likely would need the straight MOST without splitter since you don't have Fender. (I actually have one laying around, shoot me a DM if you want it, I'll throw it in the mail for you.)