GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
What is the difference, and which do I need?
I *think* if you have Fender you need the split Y cable since the MIB in the glovebox gets it's input via a fiber cable already, otherwise you can just straight hook the cluster to the MIB without the split. Does the R have the sub in the hatch under the floor? If so I think you need the split one.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I *think* if you have Fender you need the split Y cable since the MIB in the glovebox gets it's input via a fiber cable already, otherwise you can just straight hook the cluster to the MIB without the split. Does the R have the sub in the hatch under the floor? If so I think you need the split one.

Yup. Have the Fender audio/sub.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I still haven’t put my MIB2.5 in yet. I wonder if when I do this will change. And if so we can compare our coding after.

I also have to wonder if this is a NA vs ROW thing.
I'll have to see if I can find a scan/map from my MIB II, but nothing changed for me when I went MIB 2.5.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I'll have to see if I can find a scan/map from my MIB II, but nothing changed for me when I went MIB 2.5.
Just sat in a 2019 Golf R today and the map lets me zoom in and out with the arrows.

But I also noticed that the map in the instrument cluster looks almost grainy and pixelated compared to the one in my dash

Attachments

• R_DASH.jpg
    R_DASH.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 140
  • GTI_Dash_vs_R.jpg
    GTI_Dash_vs_R.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Just sat in a 2019 Golf R today and the map lets me zoom in and out with the arrows.

But I also noticed that the map in the instrument cluster looks almost grainy and pixelated compared to the one in my dash
They don't look all that different to me, although I also can't see very well, haha. The zoom function using the arrows is very interesting though. An adaptation map of the infotainment from that Golf R would be awesome :LOL:. Specifically this set of channels, taken from my car, MIB 2.5, with map in AID but no zooming via the arrows...
1647494940067.png

I know what some of those do, but don't know about the detail_map_xxx channels or navigation_map_xxx channels.

There are some other places worth a look, but I'll try and get to them later, got a newborn running things around here, haha.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So I'm back, responding to myself, haha. But if somebody whose AID map zooms in and out with the right side MFSW button arrows could post up and auto scan that would be awesome! Or really just the long coding of the MFSW Buttons, which is a slave module to 19-Gateway.

I just retrofitted an Mk8 wheel and for the first time noticed that module. There are no descriptions in VCDS long coding helper. I would bet good money that's where we can configure the buttons to either zoom or scroll through recent destinations.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
So I'm back, responding to myself, haha. But if somebody whose AID map zooms in and out with the right side MFSW button arrows could post up and auto scan that would be awesome! Or really just the long coding of the MFSW Buttons, which is a slave module to 19-Gateway.

I just retrofitted an Mk8 wheel and for the first time noticed that module. There are no descriptions in VCDS long coding helper. I would bet good money that's where we can configure the buttons to either zoom or scroll through recent destinations.
If it makes you feel better I’m reading all the posts. I can’t help you unfortunately.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@gixxerfool I'm thinking maybe it's the default behavior on cars that came with the AID. Once I'm home and not on myself my mind my cell I'll try to compare some scans over on the Ross Tech forum.

There's not even anything VCDS if you choose to use experimental coding. One interesting thing is I've never seen the button coding mentioned when people talk about replacing them, typically for ACC retrofit but also when buttons break.

I guess the default coding is generally good enough. I didn't code the buttons on my new wheel, although the Mk8 button configuration I needed is done in gateway adaptations.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
@gixxerfool I'm thinking maybe it's the default behavior on cars that came with the AID. Once I'm home and not on myself my mind my cell I'll try to compare some scans over on the Ross Tech forum.

There's not even anything VCDS if you choose to use experimental coding. One interesting thing is I've never seen the button coding mentioned when people talk about replacing them, typically for ACC retrofit but also when buttons break.

I guess the default coding is generally good enough. I didn't code the buttons on my new wheel, although the Mk8 button configuration I needed is done in gateway adaptations.
How do you like the new wheel? Does it look out of place?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How do you like the new wheel? Does it look out of place?
I don't think so. Granted I have the AID, gloss black trim (coming from silver on my Golf), and 9" MIB 2.5 all touch screen. The wheel buttons are gloss black trimmed in silver like the rest of the dash. And the buttons light up white/dim with the rest of the interior lighting.

I love it. It's thick like the Mk6 wheel, heated (which can be done with the Mk7 wheel too), OEM (perf sections feel awesome) and the buttons took all of 2 days to get used to. I didn't even look down to use them yesterday. The volume swipe is slick when you get used to it.

PXL_20220428_135442746.jpg

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I don't think so. Granted I have the AID, gloss black trim (coming from silver on my Golf), and 9" MIB 2.5 all touch screen. The wheel buttons are gloss black trimmed in silver like the rest of the dash. And the buttons light up white/dim with the rest of the interior lighting.

I love it. It's thick like the Mk6 wheel, heated (which can be done with the Mk7 wheel too), OEM (perf sections feel awesome) and the buttons took all of 2 days to get used to. I didn't even look down to use them yesterday. The volume swipe is slick when you get used to it.

View attachment 247948
Ohh that looks sexy. Im jealous.

I cannot for the life of me find a sport wheel with the perforated leather, acc, heated without dsg paddles on ebay. and the ones i find are for golfs. the passat wheels and golfs use the different airbag mounts and there arent any golf 8 airbags. there are passat wheels for days, they just dont have the bigger grips like the gtis and golf r do. Im trying not to get a new bag from the dealer.

You got some part numbers for the wheel and bag? And the ACC, did you have to reactivate it?

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

View attachment 247948
That looks sharp as hell. The AID really needs to be done for it to look right.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I ordered the wheel with airbag from aliexpress, wasn't worth the time to keep looking for the right combination of things 🤷🏿‍♂️. Mine is a Golf R Line wheel. I don't know if that means it's the same as the GTI/R wheel (did come with an R badge on the bottom, I ordered a non-badged one from my local dealer) but it's a good bit thicker than my OEM Mk7 wheel. 5H0419089CE is the R Line wheel without paddles. I don't know the airbag part number but I can pull it and check.

The touch buttons have a 5 pin connector while the non-touch have a 6 pin. You can get either airbag harness (which has the connection for the buttons) on Ali, although the Ali "search" makes it frustrating to find.

One set of touch buttons (1EA959442A) has driver assist on the lower right of the left side buttons, the other set of touch buttons has a travel assist button there (1EA959442B). Since I still plan to install the 2Q0 camera I went with the travel assist.

As far as ACC... I think the confusion stems from the ahem... Jackasses... who want to show cool retrofits but don't want to share anything. They made it sound like, or intentionally left it unclear, you have to reactivate ACC. All you really have to do is select ACC active in the gateway adaptations. If you don't have it selected "active" the ACC "button" is not illuminated.

Same with travel assist button. I don't yet have the right camera installed so I did not set it to active, so that button is not illuminated. I now have the driver assist button on my turn signal stalk (bought on eBay) so I don't want it duplicated on the wheel. Even if I never installed the 2Q0 camera you would never know there was another possible button on the steering wheel, that space is just black.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I ordered the wheel with airbag from aliexpress, wasn't worth the time to keep looking for the right combination of things 🤷🏿‍♂️. Mine is a Golf R Line wheel. I don't know if that means it's the same as the GTI/R wheel (did come with an R badge on the bottom, I ordered a non-badged one from my local dealer) but it's a good bit thicker than my OEM Mk7 wheel. 5H0419089CE is the R Line wheel without paddles. I don't know the airbag part number but I can pull it and check.

The touch buttons have a 5 pin connector while the non-touch have a 6 pin. You can get either airbag harness (which has the connection for the buttons) on Ali, although the Ali "search" makes it frustrating to find.

One set of touch buttons (1EA959442A) has driver assist on the lower right of the left side buttons, the other set of touch buttons has a travel assist button there (1EA959442B). Since I still plan to install the 2Q0 camera I went with the travel assist.

As far as ACC... I think the confusion stems from the ahem... Jackasses... who want to show cool retrofits but don't want to share anything. They made it sound like, or intentionally left it unclear, you have to reactivate ACC. All you really have to do is select ACC active in the gateway adaptations. If you don't have it selected "active" the ACC "button" is not illuminated.

Same with travel assist button. I don't yet have the right camera installed so I did not set it to active, so that button is not illuminated. I now have the driver assist button on my turn signal stalk (bought on eBay) so I don't want it duplicated on the wheel. Even if I never installed the 2Q0 camera you would never know there was another possible button on the steering wheel, that space is just black.
Ahh, good about the acc. Cleared up the 5/6 pin confusion.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

Here the scans you wanted. The up and down buttons on the right side zoom my map in and out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 16: Steering wheel (J524) Labels:| 5Q0-953-549.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 953 521 K HW: 5Q0 953 569 A
Component: Lenks.Modul 075 0175
Revision: FF032032 Serial number: 20140716500407
Coding: 0400
Shop #: WSC 00046 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB 001015
ROD: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB.rod
VCID: 3A2D386DCCD0170BC16-806E

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:| 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 AJ HW: 5Q0 907 530 M
Component: GW MQB High 212 2246
Revision: -------- Serial number: 04031910801620
Coding: 0101000830080000FB00001A1C0F00000000000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 12345 123 61029
GVL: 015C3C100000000040DC90008006480000000000000000000000000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewConti 013020
ROD: EV_GatewConti_013.rod
VCID: 79AFE7618956DC1388C-802C

Generator:

Multifunction steering wheel control module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 442 N HW: 5G0 959 442 N Labels: 3C8-959-537.CLB
Component: E221__MFL-DC1 H06 0038
Serial number: 27130000784820103284
Coding: 28FFFF

1 Fault Found:
131689 - Rear View Camera System Control Module
U104C 00 [009] - No communication
[Timeout Knoten 0x69 / 6C - Steuergerät für Rückfahrkamerasystem]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1