GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is anyone vinyl wrapping their MK7 trim?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Anybody ever get this done at a shop? My only reason for wanting to change trim is because the AID bezel only comes in gloss black and polar night. I currently have it wrapped in a "brushed aluminum" that's a close but not exact match for the base Golf "brushed aluminum" trim and I want everything to match. My AID bezel is gloss black underneath.

I'm starting to get some quotes (trim removal/install myself, just bringing the trim to a shop for wrapping, ). I don't really want gloss black but the quotes I'm getting are around $500, in the Los Angeles area. Does anybody know if that sounds about right? I honestly have no idea. I've started pricing gloss black trim conversion buying new parts and it looks like it will come out to around $500 as well. So unless I go with something other than gloss black it would make no sense not to buy new gloss black trim.

I'm not sure if anything other than gloss black would look good with the remaining silver trim in the car which I intend to keep (strip above glovebox, front and rear door strips). The gloss black would also match the steering wheel trim and e-brake handle.

shinta86

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I wrapped mine with the Vivid Matte Black. Was my first time wrapping so it is far from perfect.

1589926438150.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That looks really good! I think I see small ripple below the screen (just above the driver seat heat control) and possibly a bubble on the storage cubby cover (that could also be a shadow). But... that color looks great, and would look good with my remaining silver trim I bet.

I priced full gloss black conversion at $275 shipped (mix of AliExpress and some VW part sites). I did get a quote for $200-250 though, which makes it a toss up. The $500 quotes, though that could be the going rate for this job, are not worth it relatively speaking.

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Did mine a year and a half ago. First time wrapping anything and it was pretty easy. I hated the aluminum but didn’t want plain black. I used vvivid but can’t find the stuff I used on the site, I think it was about 30$ worth of material and a couple hours including pulling all the trim off. Hardest part was getting the ac vents back in. I tried and failed at doing the door trim, always ended up with one wrinkle
EDE6363C-3BBA-49AD-B9E5-093718FF5E6C.jpeg
657B1031-4B1D-49DB-8B6E-885802A66B88.jpeg
38CA2A74-6A0C-4DB8-AA0C-6339E1C127FC.jpeg
3F053214-895C-450F-8D46-A8A33EFC5278.jpeg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Can you share a close up example of what a "far from perfect" part looks like?
Here are mine.
Part that I didn't cut well. You can see it runs down.
IMG_6225.JPG

A little bubble/crease.
IMG_6226.JPG

The area around the push start is coming off.
IMG_6224.JPG

Ignore the swastika. It's a Buddhist symbol.

t1m1t

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI Sport
How much vinyl would you say is a good amount for a full interior wrap? Would 5' x 2' be enough?

charliemagrath

Car(s)
golf mk7
Did mine a year and a half ago. First time wrapping anything and it was pretty easy. I hated the aluminum but didn’t want plain black. I used vvivid but can’t find the stuff I used on the site, I think it was about 30$ worth of material and a couple hours including pulling all the trim off. Hardest part was getting the ac vents back in. I tried and failed at doing the door trim, always ended up with one wrinkle View attachment 173920View attachment 173921View attachment 173922View attachment 173923
do you have any other photos ? trying to figure out between matt black , gloss black and this