GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is anyone vinyl wrapping their MK7 trim?

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Mine so far:

I ran out of wrap to do the rest, so ordered more. Also, I forgot to put the silver trim around the vents. I'll do that when I get to the rest of the interior.

Still stuck on how to get the trim around the shifter out, and the cubby door.

Figured out the trim part yet? Pull up from the back, be gentle though. I broke a clip in mine accidentally when I was trying to dial in my short shifter.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I did.
But you can't just pull it out, you can only get the shift boot or this way.

You need to take the cubby out (it just pulls out with a bit of force. May need a pry tool to get it off)
Then there are 2 Tory screws which you need to loosen. At this point the trim around the shifter just lifts out easily.

Side note, does the long plastic piece on the passenger side come off? I wrapped it while keeping it on the car (afraid of breaking) and it came out terribly due to the cold. Would like to redo when it gets warmer, or take it off and take it inside if possible.

crgirl3388

Passed Driver's Ed
How did you remove the trim around the shifter? This is the one piece I couldn't figure out how to remove. Oh and also the trim around the gauges? (Can't figure out how to separate it from the entire piece, circles and all, that pulls out)

I just got done removing most of my interior trim. The trim around the shifter clips off after you unscrew the 2 screws under the cubby in the 1st pic...you get to them after taking out the rubber insert in the cubby and removing it...i used lockwire to pull it out...2nd pic..srry if I'm not giving clear instructions, its not one of my suits....the gauge cluster silver trim is heat welded...ive taken them apart in my dart. Easy to do with a dremel but you have to either glue it back on or reheat weld it...hopefully i helped a little

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crgirl3388

Passed Driver's Ed
Could someone let me know how to remove the trim above the glovebox? I wanna just pull on it but its not moving like the rest of the interior pieces...

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Could someone let me know how to remove the trim above the glovebox? I wanna just pull on it but its not moving like the rest of the interior pieces...

I tried prying, and it did flex. But I was afraid to break it. So I just wrapped it while in the car. It turned out terrible.

So if you figure out how please report back because I want to redo mine :).

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
I just got done removing most of my interior trim. The trim around the shifter clips off after you unscrew the 2 screws under the cubby in the 1st pic...you get to them after taking out the rubber insert in the cubby and removing it...i used lockwire to pull it out...2nd pic..srry if I'm not giving clear instructions, its not one of my suits....the gauge cluster silver trim is heat welded...ive taken them apart in my dart. Easy to do with a dremel but you have to either glue it back on or reheat weld it...hopefully i helped a little

OHHH...that's how you do it, thanks so much!!!

crgirl3388

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried prying, and it did flex. But I was afraid to break it. So I just wrapped it while in the car. It turned out terrible.

So if you figure out how please report back because I want to redo mine :).

After googling for a hot minute and finding a replacement in case it broke, the hubby said "its your car, do what you want" so i said "f it, let's just pull on it"[emoji16] ...I had 2 trim tools in place over the top of trim over clips, he put another 2 trim tools over the clips from the bottom of trim piece...we pulled on it at the same time pretty hard and it popped off...it was kinda scary so do at own risk good luck

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Ah so it does dome off! Perfect, I'm going to redo that piece next week.
Thanks for the update!

soundlink

Looks like I'm done with the dash and center console details. Only doors left!

I think the results are perfect and the best color combo possible. Lifted the car interior 1000 times!

I'm not 100% happy with the VW logo on steering wheel.. I did not figure out how to remove it without risking to break anything, and the logo is so small that I didn't manage to cut out only the silver.

Solution was to wrap the whole logo. Use heat and get it firmly into all the corners and then use a black marker to paint the black.

But I found out that I'm a lot better at vinyl wrapping then coloring, so it is not as even as I want it to be.. Need to find a solution for that!

What do you guys think about this? To much?

Here is some photos!

Really new to the forums, but how did you do vinyl linings like that? I'm planning on doing something very similar to my GTI and while I know how to vinyl wrap, I don't know how to do just the outlines.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Anyone have issues with the AC vents? Took mine apart and used some leftover vinyl I had, didn't like the results so I'm gonna get some better vinyl. But when I put the panel back the vent control switch is recessed in ??? I tried pounding the panel area but that didn't work. Tried pulling the vent out but that didn't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minu94

Passed Driver's Ed
So, how do you take out the passenger side air vent? Going to vinyl wrap the interior trim this weekend but I am stuck at how to remove the passenger side air vent.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
For the passenger vent I used a trim removal tool and pried the sh!!t out of it. But I still cracked the top part =[
Super glued it back together and wrapped over it.

And to answer my own question you'll need a special took to pull the vent forward.
Volkswagen backrest panel tool 3370. I haven't gotten it yet so the vents are recessed still.

*edit*
Got the driver side vent fixed. You need to take out the entire vent. DAP has a instructional on how to install a vent gauge pod, and you can use that. I had to take out the headlight control switch and push the bottom tabs up with my finger and jiggle the top till it came out. See attached photos. Also there are little 4 rubber caps that could fall out; yellow arrows show where they go. I have not done the center vents but as nype advised the center vent needs to be taken out with the trim in order to have the vent controls properly aligned.

Attachments

• IMG_4680.JPG
    IMG_4680.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Top clips.JPG
    Top clips.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Top vent.jpg
    Top vent.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Bottom clip.jpg
    Bottom clip.jpg