GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
just my $0.02 and my opinion, but after pouring through tons of tests and data logs and everything else i could find I came to the conclusion the APR intercooler is likely the best performing intercooler out there and am pulling my car back apart to replace my FMIC with the APR stock location one. I think it offers the best balance between flow and core density for lower IATs. if I was on a budget I'd get the unitronic which is slightly smaller volume than APR.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the fastest world record FWD mk7 out there had a 142mph+ trap speed (!!) and was also using the APR stock location intercooler also.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Want a head scratcher? I'm using a Neuspeed IS38 IC, admittedly one of the shittiest flowing ones out there. But I'm pushing 28 psi on an IS20, while achieving 10 + ambient WOT with only a mid-high 70s turbine actual final. Can you say WTF??

I am about to remove my is38 Neuspeed FMIC and go with a stock location APR so it will be super interesting to see if/what improvement the car picks up. Will be funny (and shitty) if the answer is nothing hahaha

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I am about to remove my is38 Neuspeed FMIC and go with a stock location APR so it will be super interesting to see if/what improvement the car picks up. Will be funny (and shitty) if the answer is nothing hahaha

Do let us know, cuz I'll be on board for something along the lines of the APR if it's a significant difference. If not, guess I'll keep scratching my head about my "shitty" Neuspeed 😁.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I am a super green newb when it comes to knowledge of this subject, but if you base that on flow of a cooler at a standardized measurement, then yeah. Stands to reason that a freer flowing IC will lower the need for a turbine to close the WG more to produce a seen pressure. However, there are lots more variables in the voodoo-science of intercooled turbo cars than that obviously. According to Jeff's chart, the Vibrant flows a bit less than an OE GTI cooler (168 vs. 195 cfm @ 28 inches of water), but will throw stones at the GTI one in terms of overall performance, especially in the area of heat shedding abilities. Thats where you need to find the balance and what works on your car. Tough to do in reality.

Want a head scratcher? I'm using a Neuspeed IS38 IC, admittedly one of the shittiest flowing ones out there. But I'm pushing 28 psi on an IS20, while achieving 10 + ambient WOT with only a mid-high 70s turbine actual final. Can you say WTF??

I didn't think an IS20 would be able to hold 28 psi. Custom tune I'm guessing?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I didn't think an IS20 would be able to hold 28 psi. Custom tune I'm guessing?

No, EQT stage 2 93 only. And yes, 28 is peak with a taper to 18. Could y'all imagine an IS20 holding 28 all the way to redline :oops:?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No, EQT stage 2 93 only. And yes, 28 is peak with a taper to 18. Could y'all imagine an IS20 holding 28 all the way to redline :oops:?

giphy.gif