GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
No your IE logs has always looked great and many older customers seems happy so if I had to guess to what som of the problem is that IE went to a different core supplier a while ago but I am just guessing.

Regarding the do88 intercooler I just wanted to clarify for people that it is a good company.
IE's v2 intercooler should be coming out sometime soon. Supposedly they changed a few things on v2

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
My random thoughts on it, just spitballing here. Very high exhaust pressure -> reduction in engine VE -> the engine is drawing in less air per stroke -> for a given hp/mass flow, this requires higher boost pressure to overcome the reduction in VE/loss of efficiency -> higher boost pressure = more heat generated in itself, plus higher compressor PR, so likely efficiency is going down as well. But that is a direct impact on charge air temp, not really post intercooler "IAT".

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Well 900$ for the IE, i mean I can't seem the v2 being any more, the price point is already as high as it can get.

All the other top brands are at 900, any higher and noone will buy. Unless there is 100% solid evidence it is the top top top dog, which its likely to be roughly the same, you think the engineers at APR or IE don't know the same stuff. Most of the time the changes arn't crazy different i.e. apple phones

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
V2
Well 900$ for the IE, i mean I can't seem the v2 being any more, the price point is already as high as it can get.

All the other top brands are at 900, any higher and noone will buy. Unless there is 100% solid evidence it is the top top top dog, which its likely to be roughly the same, you think the engineers at APR or IE don't know the same stuff. Most of the time the changes arn't crazy different i.e. apple phones
pretty sure they already have V2 pre-orders open and it’s the same price.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
probably will be way to much money like most IE things
The price stays the same at 899. here are the changes

The core has been increased by 137% over stock which is officially the largest IC that can be purchased with a bolt-in fitment. To accommodate this larger core design, all new cast end tanks have also been completely redesigned with improved and reinforced mounting points and incredible install accuracy. Getting this intercooler to fit required OCD levels of design and machining tolerances to accomplish. The result is a market leading 74% intake air temperature reduction, 8% less pressure drop, massive core volume, and the ultimate defense against heat soak.
  • IE FDS SYSTEM
  • 137% increase core volume
  • 74% lower intake air temps
  • High-grip textured inlet/outlets
  • No-break install (super beefy)
  • Bolt down AC condenser mounts
  • Perfect radiator slip-fit
  • OE hoses for larger applications
  • Largest IC core on the market
  • 100% bolt-in installation

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Regarding the exhaust pressure affecting IAT, you're asking me to believe you because of your practical experience but you haven't given any explanation for how one affects the other.

yes, I'm an engineer, gas turbines were one subject I had the opportunity to study. Believing what you say is tough without any explanation for how one is affecting the other. Your explanation doesn't need to be derived through formulas, or using subject specific terms, but some sort of description for how the exhaust pressure is driving up IAT would be helpful. You have essentially said, believe me because I say so.

So I know it effects it because I’ve experienced it but you need me to prove it.

The easy answer would be to tell you to google it, as several others have explained the “why” you’re seeking.

Excessive drive pressure defeats the scavenging effects of valve overlap this hurting the engines efficiency, which requires more boost to accomplish the same power and thus higher EGT.

Hopefully that makes sense, and I’m once again able to pick engineers out of a crowd retaining my 100% accuracy rating on that.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My random thoughts on it, just spitballing here. Very high exhaust pressure -> reduction in engine VE -> the engine is drawing in less air per stroke -> for a given hp/mass flow, this requires higher boost pressure to overcome the reduction in VE/loss of efficiency -> higher boost pressure = more heat generated in itself, plus higher compressor PR, so likely efficiency is going down as well. But that is a direct impact on charge air temp, not really post intercooler "IAT".

You explained it better than me.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
No your IE logs has always looked great and many older customers seems happy so if I had to guess to what som of the problem is that IE went to a different core supplier a while ago but I am just guessing.

Regarding the do88 intercooler I just wanted to clarify for people that it is a good company.

Interesting, the logs posted looks like 16-20* over ambient at redline pushing 32psi (!!) though a pretty big turbo. LIke Braun said also can see it start to get heat soaked and load up at around 6k rpm on each run

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
"Excessive drive pressure defeats the scavenging effects of valve overlap this hurting the engines efficiency, which requires more boost to accomplish the same power and thus higher EGT. "

makes sense to me, and on top of the really poorly flowing heads these MQB cars have on them it's not surprising that stuffing 600+hp worth of air into them gets some pretty crazy inefficiencies. E85 ftw