GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
@Mini7 The only other thing I can think of is the actual rad support, it appears to be different part between the GTI and R. I wonder if it "holds" the rad/ic stack further away from the engine when compared to GTI one

Golf R - 5G0805588R
GTI - 5GM805588D9B9

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Anyone using LiPo or LiFePo4 batteries? It's a really tempting 30lbs weight loss.
If you dont mind losing some trunk space, It would be more beneficial and cheaper to relocate the battery to the trunk. Weight distribution is better by moving the 45lbs to the rear vs keeping any weight on the front.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If you dont mind losing some trunk space, It would be more beneficial and cheaper to relocate the battery to the trunk. Weight distribution is better by moving the 45lbs to the rear vs keeping any weight on the front.
This would be good as long as you mount it really far forward in the trunk. Ideally you want to move the battery from outside of the wheelbase to inside. The battery stock actually sits in a pretty good place. Based on my last corner balance the most ideal spot to move it to would be the footwell behind the driver. In the trunk you could counter some of the front weight of the stock platform, but you're still limited by the rear seats and the majority of the weight would be on top of the "rear axle"

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Adding that much battery cable, you're adding a lot of weight.

I'd rather keep removing weight off the front and not adding to the overall weight personally.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
That's all preference I suppose and it makes sense. I have an A3 so it's slightly different where my trunk goes deeper past the rear axle, not exactly apple's to apple's

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I didn't get a chance to get to the vaq this weekend. I spent way too much time being super careful about how I was drilling holes and cutting into the hood, and at one point before I added a ton more blue tape, I ended up dragging my wedding ring and scratched the clear coat a bit. After some sailor talk and a few beers I decided to just end for the day. One hole down and another to go, then I can test it out the weekend after next!!

Attachments

• 20200517_194137.jpg
    20200517_194137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • 20200517_181819.jpg
    20200517_181819.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200517_124535.jpg
    20200517_124535.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I didn't get a chance to get to the vaq this weekend. I spent way too much time being super careful about how I was drilling holes and cutting into the hood, and at one point before I added a ton more blue tape, I ended up dragging my wedding ring and scratched the clear coat a bit. After some sailor talk and a few beers I decided to just end for the day. One hole down and another to go, then I can test it out the weekend after next!!

No worries. Measure twice and cut once.
I’m hoping for a clear weather window this weekend to get the IC swopped and the CSF radiator in.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Why not one larger vent centered?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Has anyone tried Evans waterless coolant?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes I am. Great mod for weight saving. Even did a video on it. Been tracking with it for 12 months now, no heat issues.

I'm noticing Australia has a ton of choices for LiPo batteries designed for racing. US, not so much. Must me a regulations thing. Love your channel and wish we got the CS and CSS here.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm noticing Australia has a ton of choices for LiPo batteries designed for racing. US, not so much. Must me a regulations thing. Love your channel and wish we got the CS and CSS here.
Brail and optima are the only drop in I've seen. General life is about 1-2 years.

I think it's a cost thing... I can get a brail battery under 30lbs for 300$ or I can get an agm battery that's 45lbs for 175$.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Brail and optima are the only drop in I've seen. General life is about 1-2 years.

I think it's a cost thing... I can get a brail battery under 30lbs for 300$ or I can get an agm battery that's 45lbs for 175$.

You can get a lipo battery between 3 to 8 lbs, depending on the reserve capacity you're looking for, so under 30lbs is a little bit of a understatement.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You can get a lipo battery between 3 to 8 lbs, depending on the reserve capacity you're looking for, so under 30lbs is a little bit of a understatement.
Yeah, but I don't drive anywhere for a week or two at a time sometimes, so those ultra low capacity batteries would die very quickly. Kessy and all of the other constant on stuff would definitely make sure of that. Even with my agm, during winter when I don't drive for 4 weeks+ I have to hook up a battery tender.

If you can deal with those, then the minimum Brail I've found that meets the minimum CCA req (per vw) was 19 lbs i believe.