GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the heads up.

And yes, there is an adaptions for the pump. It apparently recalibrates itself. I need to find out where in OBD Eleven.
This coming weekend I've got some maintenance work I'm doing on the car, and will be installing hood louvres at some point. I'll see if I can dig through the adaptations and find it. I have an idea of where it might be... Just never occurred to me that it has any learning capability...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks Gordan!

I’ve tackled multiple upgrades and mods and gotten behind on all of them.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I upgraded both (Aux + Main), and clearance, with AMS I/C (which is supposbly same thickness as IE I/C), while less than stock is fine other than what I already noted in my previous post (A/C line - which I'm not worried about, wiring harness).

I'm honestly kicking myself that I didn't take any photos during install, because its a PITA to get any good photos with bumper back on, sorry peeps :(.

Based on your successful fitment, I decided to purchase an AMS IC to see if I can make the CSF radiator install work with an upgraded IC in a GTi . If so I will have a very lightly used IE IC up for sale.

Based on some of the coolant temps I’ve seen on my OBDeleven increasing the coolant capacity is still high on my list of track mods.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Based on your successful fitment, I decided to purchase an AMS IC to see if I can make the CSF radiator install work with an upgraded IC in a GTi . If so I will have a very lightly used IE IC up for sale.

Based on some of the coolant temps I’ve seen on my OBDeleven increasing the coolant capacity is still high on my list of track mods.
What water temps are you seeing, again?

I've seen 230 on occasion, but it usually stays under 220. The car pulls timing after 220 anyway... My oil was the issue at 295 and with the oil cooler it's been way better. I'm excited about the hood louvres because I think those will cut temps down across the board. I did hit 260+ on water once but that was with rs7 plugs and after some oil blow by. After I went back to stock plugs and the oil cooler, things have been peachy except for 100*F ambient days...

Just for reference, the vette guys I run with see 250 and 300 for water and oil!

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R

I hope it works out for you, but from what I've read, the AMS and IE are same stack width. I do still wonder if the difference between GTI/R is the actual rad support. That said, the AMS is a good unit, I personally chose it, despite it being one of the pricier options because of its light-weight compared to other IC's.

On your other issue, I have/use VCDS, I dunno how it can be done in OBD11. My understanding is the GTI VAQ is listed under the same area as the AWD Haldex unit, from an adaptation reset standpoint anyways. Dunno if that helps at all.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What water temps are you seeing, again?

I've seen 230 on occasion, but it usually stays under 220. The car pulls timing after 220 anyway... My oil was the issue at 295 and with the oil cooler it's been way better. I'm excited about the hood louvres because I think those will cut temps down across the board. I did hit 260+ on water once but that was with rs7 plugs and after some oil blow by. After I went back to stock plugs and the oil cooler, things have been peachy except for 100*F ambient days...

Just for reference, the vette guys I run with see 250 and 300 for water and oil!

I saw 215F with my OBD11 running live data when the stupid dash gauge hadn’t moved past 195F. That was after a back road run with ambient of 50F.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Oh man, my intercooler install in a cold garage and breaking cold plastic clips along the way left my car on jack stands for 2 weeks+. I totally get being behind!

I picked a set of clips yesterday. After having swopped out the IC once, I can see how easy it is to break a clip. They are a PITA for sure.

With the VAQ pump, the system recalibrates the flow when you reset adaptations. The pump runs for a short period of time and shuts off when complete. VCDS has this function but apparently OBD11 does not. I haven’t found where and how it’s done on OBD11

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I would also hate to take my IC all the way back off again, except to do a radiator upgrade in the future perhaps. Interested if the CSF radiator better with the AMS IC or not.

I've done the PP VAQ reset through OBDeleven... sometime after I changed the fluid about a year ago, and after I drove around so it was warm. I'm pretty sure I heard the pump cycle, may redo this again soon. YMMV...

Lock Electronics > Basic Settings > Resetting of all adaptation values

🙂

Attachments

• 55F9A339-CC17-496D-946F-57B4B477E835.jpeg
    55F9A339-CC17-496D-946F-57B4B477E835.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I would also hate to take my IC all the way back off again, except to do a radiator upgrade in the future perhaps. Interested if the CSF radiator better with the AMS IC or not.

I've done the PP VAQ reset through OBDeleven... sometime after I changed the fluid about a year ago, and after I drove around so it was warm. I'm pretty sure I heard the pump cycle, may redo this again soon. YMMV...

Lock Electronics > Basic Settings > Resetting of all adaptation values

🙂

Thanks for the OBD11 info. I appreciate the heads up.

Been talking to CSF today. They say it should fit. They designed the radiator with an IE IC on an R. I may just have a tolerance stack up squeezing me out of room. Still thinking there is something between the R and the FWD GTi that is different. CSF is reaching out to their European design office.

I have a plan of attack going into this a second time.
1) I need to move the engine harness above the pinch point of the fan shroud and turbo outlet pipe.
2) Clearance the fan shroud around the upper radiator hose to create some wiggle room.

I’m tackling that Memorial Day weekend.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
When you installed your intercooler, did you put back the two plastic air deflectors in the bumper, and the two on the sides of the intercooler? I was talking to a friend of mine who's an engineer and used to work on car cooling systems. Apparently those greatly impact the intercooler and radiator performance and need to be replaced when putting it all together. He also mentioned using tape to seal up any holes and force as much air through the fins.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I installed the two air diverters either side the IC back in. I didn’t put the AC locking tab plastic strip back in. Not sure that does a whole lot but I will look at it’s function again.

I agree that taping up all the gaps to force the air through the core vs escaping around it is critical to maximizing the cooling effect.

You doing your VAQ this weekend?. I need to get my android tablet charged.

Seriously thinking about selling my CSS swivels and SuperLCA and going with Verkline LCA.
Plenty of camber for slickS and adjustments to dial in the suspension geometry.

Went to a sheet metal shop to move my brake duct project forward. Trying to learn Fusion 360. 😳
Got some good advice.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yep, I'm working on the vaq and chopping up my hood this weekend to get the verus louvres on! Nice stuff and their modeling shows a good place to put it on the stock hood.

I have my side air deflectors off, so I'll have to put those back in. I hate taking off the bumper cover because it really is so much easier with two people and with a baby it's tough to find time where my wife and I can both be in the garage, lol.

Verkline has lca? I didn't see those. I'd definitely go and fab up a belly pan if using their subframe though, it's just too open for my liking. My subframe has so many chips and scrapes from whatever has hit it over time, I'd assume if it wasn't so bulky more of those little electronics and fragile bits would see damage.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone using LiPo or LiFePo4 batteries? It's a really tempting 30lbs weight loss.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Anyone using LiPo or LiFePo4 batteries? It's a really tempting 30lbs weight loss.
I was going to, but most of the reviews I read and people I know stated they die quickly with track use due to heat... Makes sense since lithium hates heat.

A team and I used to send balloons into near space (120k ft up) and we used lithium batteries since they were very good in the cold. In heat in excess of 86*, and especially where voltage is above 4V, lithium charge breaks down fast.