Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Do you know what failed?

What made you suspect the LSD?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've had a quaife fall before. I heard terrible noises with tight turning.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Do you know what failed?

What made you suspect the LSD?
Had grinding noise on hard acceleration. Initially, it was faint. I thought maybe tire was slipping on wheel. Dumb, i know. Don't make anywhere near enough power for that and i wouldn't know what that would sound or feel like. Then it got progressively louder and car wouldn't accelerate hard, like a clutch slipping. I thought maybe axles, but really had no idea.

Took it to shop and my mechanic drove it and as soon as he felt it, he said lsd. He just knew right away. We'll know soon enough if he was right, although he has taken the tranny apart to get lsd out and tranny and axles all looked good.
I've had a quaife fall before. I heard terrible noises with tight turning.

For me it was when accelerating. Maybe a little more pronounced when accelerating and turning, but can't remember exactly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mechanical diffs audibly let you know when there's an issue.

Anyone know what VAQ will do? Just act like an open diff?

When mine dies, I'll probably rip out it and go guaife or wavetrac. Hopefully you can just code it out.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You will need different axles if you delete the VAQ. There must be a way to code it out.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Been busy getting ready for next weekend.

Unfortunately I found out the front camber split is awful and this is as good as it gets even after shifting the subframe. 😬

Added the RS3 brake ducts, flushed brake fluid, and did an oil change so otherwise should be good to go.

Attachments

• 0AE84FF4-623E-481F-9E35-5F96B84536AD.jpeg
    0AE84FF4-623E-481F-9E35-5F96B84536AD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 0B4BFF84-66E5-4749-9F2B-6BA2C9F524EA.jpeg
    0B4BFF84-66E5-4749-9F2B-6BA2C9F524EA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 0EFB47F6-D8F4-44F6-93AC-E3A48A721E61.jpeg
    0EFB47F6-D8F4-44F6-93AC-E3A48A721E61.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 77

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Ever had any front end damage? I'm surprised at it being that far out side to side.
Not to my knowledge. However after looking at it again I am now wondering if the rack was not level. Notice the rear camber was also way off in the exact same direction before.

Going to look into it further.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’ve posted this video before but got talking to some buddies about WRC and how much I respect rally drivers and there skills. When I remembered this old school GTi doing hillclimbs. Where RPM = horsepower.
This is commitment.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Been busy getting ready for next weekend.

Unfortunately I found out the front camber split is awful and this is as good as it gets even after shifting the subframe. 😬

Added the RS3 brake ducts, flushed brake fluid, and did an oil change so otherwise should be good to go.
I’ve forgotten how much stock GTis are Camber challenged. Outside tire shoulder will take a beating.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I’ve posted this video before but got talking to some buddies about WRC and how much I respect rally drivers and there skills. When I remembered this old school GTi doing hillclimbs. Where RPM = horsepower.
This is commitment.
That is a terrific video. We often talk about soft hands, but it's just crazy how soft he is on the wheel in the most incredible situations. I would leave finger indentations in the wheel.

Great car + Huge skill + insane amount of nerve = great rally candy

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
That’s why I do DIY alignment. I also use multiple methods so I have good confidence in the results. The last time I paid for an alignment I had to crawl under the car to show the tech how to make the adjustments. That was on my ‘75 Rabbit, so it’s been a while…

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That’s why I do DIY alignment. I also use multiple methods so I have good confidence in the results. The last time I paid for an alignment I had to crawl under the car to show the tech how to make the adjustments. That was on my ‘75 Rabbit, so it’s been a while…

Yeah, I will eventually build an elevated platform for doing work in my garage… it was super easy on my Mazda2 with no rear adjustments. Now with thrust angle and pain to reach adjusters for camber out back it'll take a bit more effort.

On the plus side the guy at Firestone who fixed it has autocrossed with the club I ran with, so actually understands the needs of a track car and had no problems doing what I asked.

Attachments

• DE457C36-E8A6-4CCB-BD46-7DF26C93E823.jpeg
    DE457C36-E8A6-4CCB-BD46-7DF26C93E823.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49