GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Changed my oil and flushed and bled my brakes.

Close to being ready for VIR this weekend.
Rain xed the windshield. Some light rain is forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully overnight rain only. Got a feeling my car will be handful in the wet.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
46D50BF9-B8BE-48D1-A0B1-C6119050686C.jpeg

Current situation at VIR with @Mini7

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
First Daytona event without the speed limiter. Big difference braking from 148 vs 125. It was 91 degrees out. Last session, last lap, got some fade into turn one, then foot to floor and had to blow the bus stop and drive through.

I really don't want go to 18" wheels and bigger brakes, so I'll be looking to optimize what what I have.

I did use my PS z26 pads vs the PS track day pads, so that may be the main reason, though turn felt like pad fade, the bus stop was straight boiled fluid, which was fresh 660.

Also, my new CC sits right over the brake fluid reservoir. Do you think that could cause issues?

Another thing, first session oil got to 286. I remembered my dad using the heater in the SS race cars back in the 80's, so I shut center vents and aimed the outside ones out the windows. Solid 266 rest of the night. 2 other VW's having heat issues, I asked them to try using heater too, both saw 20 deg drops. I didn't think it would make much difference, but it seemed to be very effective.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
First Daytona event without the speed limiter. Big difference braking from 148 vs 125. It was 91 degrees out. Last session, last lap, got some fade into turn one, then foot to floor and had to blow the bus stop and drive through.

I really don't want go to 18" wheels and bigger brakes, so I'll be looking to optimize what what I have.

I did use my PS z26 pads vs the PS track day pads, so that may be the main reason, though turn felt like pad fade, the bus stop was straight boiled fluid, which was fresh 660.

Also, my new CC sits right over the brake fluid reservoir. Do you think that could cause issues?

Another thing, first session oil got to 286. I remembered my dad using the heater in the SS race cars back in the 80's, so I shut center vents and aimed the outside ones out the windows. Solid 266 rest of the night. 2 other VW's having heat issues, I asked them to try using heater too, both saw 20 deg drops. I didn't think it would make much difference, but it seemed to be very effective.

E=MV2 so braking energy is an exponential curve with any increase in speed. Using a track specific pad is important.

The heater trick definitely helps drop temps. Our cars have marginal cooling for the track and it only gets worse if you are tuned.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I had a variable weekend at VIR. The first day, I had some major instability at the rear under braking. Everyone was complaining of low grip as the track had not rubbered in as there was no event prior to our DE.
The second day this disappeared but I had also backed up my brake zones. So ???? Not sure what was happening.

I need to check my alignment. Maybe my zero toe at the rear is too aggressive for the track???? The car felt fine around the corners. Just a handful under braking. Im also curious whether I have a rear caliper that is hanging up???
I’ve got 100k on my car now. They may be due a rebuild. I’ve been checking the rotor temps with an IR gun and the RHS is running 20-25F hotter than the LHS.

Engine ran fine after the carbon cleaning and injectors. Actually ran the AC a couple of sessions @GTIfan99. I now have the cooling capacity to do that 😂

I did get a secondary air code. I need to pull my air filter out and check the secondary air lines and sensor plugs. Not sure if its related to the work I did on the intake or just coincidence….????
I’ve already changed out the combi valve $$$$ about 40k ago. So Im a little frustrated with my car right now.

I also picked up a screw in my tire in the paddock on the 2nd session of the third day. I thought the ticking sound was a rock that had stuck to the tire. Took a few laps for me to realize something was not right. Had a huge understeer moment at T-10 (right front tire going down). Decided to come in, but I had ruined the tire by this time. I am shopping for a new set of HPDE tires.

So a word of caution. If you suspect something is wrong come in and check it out. Missing out on track time is OK. It sucks but it is not worth wadding up your car. I should have investigated the ticking noise before heading out. Not the first time I have picked up a screw in the paddock. If you make two mistakes in a session, come in and regroup. De-hydration, fatigue, heat and lack of sleep can mess up your concentration. As a driver you need to bring your A-game ALL the time.

It was AWESOME to see so many GTi’s at the track. Got to meet @DerHase. There were 10 GTi’s & R’s at VIR. The new Mk8 R looks really good in the flesh.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I had a variable weekend at VIR. The first day, I had some major instability at the rear under braking. Everyone was complaining of low grip as the track had not rubbered in as there was no event prior to our DE.
The second day this disappeared but I had also backed up my brake zones. So ???? Not sure what was happening.

I need to check my alignment. Maybe my zero toe at the rear is too aggressive for the track???? The car felt fine around the corners. Just a handful under braking. Im also curious whether I have a rear caliper that is hanging up???
I’ve got 100k on my car now. They may be due a rebuild. I’ve been checking the rotor temps with an IR gun and the RHS is running 20-25F hotter than the LHS.

Engine ran fine after the carbon cleaning and injectors. Actually ran the AC a couple of sessions @GTIfan99. I now have the cooling capacity to do that 😂

I did get a secondary air code. I need to pull my air filter out and check the secondary air lines and sensor plugs. Not sure if its related to the work I did on the intake or just coincidence….????
I’ve already changed out the combi valve $$$$ about 40k ago. So Im a little frustrated with my car right now.

I also picked up a screw in my tire in the paddock on the 2nd session of the third day. I thought the ticking sound was a rock that had stuck to the tire. Took a few laps for me to realize something was not right. Had a huge understeer moment at T-10 (right front tire going down). Decided to come in, but I had ruined the tire by this time. I am shopping for a new set of HPDE tires.

So a word of caution. If you suspect something is wrong come in and check it out. Missing out on track time is OK. It sucks but it is not worth wadding up your car. I should have investigated the ticking noise before heading out. Not the first time I have picked up a screw in the paddock. If you make two mistakes in a session, come in and regroup. De-hydration, fatigue, heat and lack of sleep can mess up your concentration. As a driver you need to bring your A-game ALL the time.

It was AWESOME to see so many GTi’s at the track. Got to meet @DerHase. There were 10 GTi’s & R’s at VIR. The new Mk8 R looks really good in the flesh.
Daytona has some really fast sections and I was surprised how much dealing with traffic hurt my concentration. I should have backed off more than I did and pitted after the braking incident in T1. The bus stop could have been super dangerous if there was a car behind me.

There were so many track prepped ZL1's and GT500's out there, probably 10+. They're sooooooooooo freaking fast. It could have been worse, though, I could have been the guy in the Mazda 2 instead of a GTI.

Sounds like you had a decent weekend other than the tire.

I'm digging the v730 in the dry. Would be terrible in the wet.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My Michelin A/S4’s are my wet weather tires. But the way my car is behaving right now. I’d likely pass on wet sessions. Stock with MPS4S’s my car was hard to beat in the wet.
ZL1’s are ridiculously fast.

Yeah. for track tires.

V730’s - these are price competitive and would try them in a 265.
RE71 RS - not sure how these would last in a 30-min DE session
GY 3Rs - need some used ones to test fit a 265

Slick Takeoffs if I can find the right size. 255 R7 Hoosiers will be to big.
Need a 245-35-18 which isn’t common in the used slick market.
The 250/18 Michelin off the front of a GT4 Clubsport would work very nicely

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Daytona has some really fast sections and I was surprised how much dealing with traffic hurt my concentration. I should have backed off more than I did and pitted after the braking incident in T1. The bus stop could have been super dangerous if there was a car behind me.

There were so many track prepped ZL1's and GT500's out there, probably 10+. They're sooooooooooo freaking fast. It could have been worse, though, I could have been the guy in the Mazda 2 instead of a GTI.

Sounds like you had a decent weekend other than the tire.

I'm digging the v730 in the dry. Would be terrible in the wet.
I see a couple of Spec Mazda 2's at COTA & they're no joke in the curves but 100hp can only take you so far. Same with the gutted Integra. It'll gap me easily in the twisties, but slow in the straightaways, but i won't pass him there.

Have you driven the V730 in the wet? Why do you think it would be terrible?
Someone posted a GRM chart and the V730 got A in almost everything. Don't know why it doesn't get more attention

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

My least awful lap from VIR. Definitely coasting into T3 and have to use more curbs overall.

I can tell I'm still way "off" from having the constant fear of crashing since last August. I'm glad I signed up to have an instructor as Jason was super helpful and helped to start building my confidence back.

My biggest complaint with the car is it's very hard to smoothly modulate the throttle, and steering feels way over assisted/numb. I've definitely lost my touch for being smooth.

034 camber plates are on the way as a cheap temporary camber solution so I can just keep driving the car.

Oil temps got to 270 in a couple sessions, hoping to avoid oil coolers if possible. May do a CSF rad and APR or AMS intercooler soon too. I have logs showing a 4mph difference on front and back straights from 1st laps to final laps as the sessions went on.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I see a couple of Spec Mazda 2's at COTA & they're no joke in the curves but 100hp can only take you so far. Same with the gutted Integra. It'll gap me easily in the twisties, but slow in the straightaways, but i won't pass him there.

Have you driven the V730 in the wet? Why do you think it would be terrible?
Someone posted a GRM chart and the V730 got A in almost everything. Don't know why it doesn't get more attention
First autocross on them was high speed and in the wet. At full depth, they were pretty good.

After 20 runs they are slicks with only the 2 main ribs.

So haven't driven them like that in the rain yet, but from experience with A7's I would guess they will suck once they get to the point of just having 2 ribs.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

My least awful lap from VIR. Definitely coasting into T3 and have to use more curbs overall.

I can tell I'm still way "off" from having the constant fear of crashing since last August. I'm glad I signed up to have an instructor as Jason was super helpful and helped to start building my confidence back.

My biggest complaint with the car is it's very hard to smoothly modulate the throttle, and steering feels way over assisted/numb. I've definitely lost my touch for being smooth.

034 camber plates are on the way as a cheap temporary camber solution so I can just keep driving the car.

Oil temps got to 270 in a couple sessions, hoping to avoid oil coolers if possible. May do a CSF rad and APR or AMS intercooler soon too. I have logs showing a 4mph difference on front and back straights from 1st laps to final laps as the sessions went on.
Hey you did great!
Braking at the 1.5 on the back straight is awesome! Getting back on the horse after falling off is important. My car was dancing around way too much in the brake zones. Friday was slippery out on track.

Very little steering feel on these cars. Are you tuned? I cannot remember. Cooling headroom is definitely required for the track. My student got to 232F on coolant. He was also generating big white clouds of smoke on his Cup2’s as the PCV got overwhelmed.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Hey you did great!
Braking at the 1.5 on the back straight is awesome! Getting back on the horse after falling off is important. My car was dancing around way too much in the brake zones. Friday was slippery out on track.

Very little steering feel on these cars. Are you tuned? I cannot remember. Cooling headroom is definitely required for the track. My student got to 232F on coolant. He was also generating big white clouds of smoke on his Cup2’s as the PCV got overwhelmed.

Thanks! Bone stock aside from the wheels and tires on it and VCDS tweaks.

I don't think I plan on tuning the ECU, but there's an APR dealer around the corner so I think I'm definitely going to get the trans done before the next event (probably August or September, haven't decided yet, will depend on my work location and staffing changes mostly).

I never noticed white smoke behind me... but I'm now wondering if some of the bogging coming out of turns was oil getting ingested... as opposed to the DSG just being lazy at times. :unsure:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You did great for a stock car. It takes courage to get back on track after totaling a car. No question.
A CSF radiator and IC (AMS/APR) will be adequate for stock power. If you tune you will need more cooling headroom.

Getting better pads for the stock brakes is imperative. Ferrodo DS 3.12 and maybe more aggressive rear pads will help remove some load off the fronts.

I mentioned my students smoke issue under hard braking and turns as I saw it for myself. We didn’t get black flagged but we were pulled aside coming into the pits and informed. He had a 2015 GTi FWIW.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm in BL pcv and a CC. No more smoke issues for me, but I wonder about the QC in the BL or any of the VW pcv's, because people have had good luck with BM and BL and others have smoked like a chimney with them. Almost luck of the draw.