GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil around filler cap

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Those with the oil weepage, are any of you guys STOCK?

I believe i have weepage. I cleaned the engine way the other day because i thought it could have been from when i changed the oil. If it is in fact weepage then i am stock other then springs

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I say this only because my R had this issue and I'm running a tune. The wife's GTi is stock and doesn't have any signs of weepage.

I wonder if the extra boost is enough to over pressurize the crank case.

Could be a combo of both boost and hardening of the rubber/plastics over time.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Those with the oil weepage, are any of you guys STOCK?

I'm stock. My original oil cap weeped, and the replacement the dealer installed under warranty is weeping. I don't think it's a big deal, every car I've had has had a weeping cap.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Is there supposed to be an (outer brim) “secondary” o-ring already on the cap? Or are you guys adding the o-ring as an extra measure?

I like traffic lights, I LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, especially when they’re green, especially when they’re green!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there supposed to be an (outer brim) “secondary” o-ring already on the cap? Or are you guys adding the o-ring as an extra measure?

I like traffic lights, I LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, especially when they’re green, especially when they’re green!

No secondary O ring on my 18. I just got some for when the original one starts to weep.

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
This is an obvious defect. Everyone probably has this issue. Here's a few more places to buy.

I prefer getting things from in USA. High quality Viton o-ring that will probably never need replaced.
http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-fkm-o-ring-44-x-2mm-price-for-1-pc/

Same as eBay item.
48mm x 44mm x 2mm Rubber Oil Seal O Ring Gasket Washer Black 10 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3VGC0U/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_YEGyBbB551C94
Thanks for this. I ordered the Viton oring tonight. Hopefully it stops the seeping on my stock 16r.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
Shipping was quick!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

discerningis4

So I ordered and received the Viton oring discussed here.

But after installing it onto the cap, Im thinking its durometer is a bit much for the engine cover/cap assembly. See, Ive already had to replace that engine cover before because of the plastic tabs snapping off. Im weary the spring force plus the tight fit of this Viton 75A durometer oring is going to overwhelm those tabs, and ill find myself replacing that cover again (and trust me, its a pain to replace).

Highly recommend you all consider a silicone high temp alternative with a Shore 50A durometer value, in the same size.

Hope this helps.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Teflon tape around the threaded part of the oil filler cap. It works 50¢ fix

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Teflon tape around the threaded part of the oil filler cap. It works 50¢ fix

The cheapest option is rarely the best IMO, the reason these start to weep is that the original seal on the cap becomes compressed, the real answer is a new cap, in this case aftermarket may be the best option (not tested however) as they may use a different seal that doesn’t harden so easy, in the mean time a silicone O-ring appears best quick fix as it’s the most compliant and doesn’t harden making the cap hard to remove.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
The cheapest option is rarely the best IMO, the reason these start to weep is that the original seal on the cap becomes compressed, the real answer is a new cap, in this case aftermarket may be the best option (not tested however) as they may use a different seal that doesn’t harden so easy, in the mean time a silicone O-ring appears best quick fix as it’s the most compliant and doesn’t harden making the cap hard to remove.
Disagree. As you can see in the picture this was the "revised" yellow oem cap. Still leaks brand new even with viton o-ring.

Why spend $80 for aftermarket and perhaps still have it leak. Ecs tuning oil cap $80

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Disagree. As you can see in the picture this was the "revised" yellow oem cap. Still leaks brand new even with viton o-ring.

Why spend $80 for aftermarket and perhaps still have it leak. Ecs tuning oil cap $80

I didn’t notice it was the revised cap! I thought each yellow spot was clean oil, I agree, I wasn’t suggesting an expensive aftermarket cap was the answer, instead I meant a copy part not made by VW such as this,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323724372361