GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil around filler cap

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
It's not that hard to fill the car with oil, without some kind of extension... That's a no from me, dawg.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The problem isn't the o ring but the main seal.

I changed mine out today with the red seal and green o ring. The original cap has a black seal and no o ring. No leakage previously (maybe slightly?) but precautionary change to prevent future possible leaks.

Got the kit for ea888 gen3 from AliExpress:

US $7.21 15%OFF | New Oil Filter Cap O-Ring Rubber Sealing Gasket EA888 EA211 EA111 EA113 For VW Passat B5 B6 B7 B8 Golf 4 5 6 7 Jetta Polo Caddy
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM4qsGE
Thanks for the link to this kit - had some slight oil seepage around the cap on our high miler 1.8Tsi...I tried an outer oring from somewhere else which didn't seem to do much....but this revised inner seal looks like it may be the ticket...original black seal seems like it has hardened up over time. Installed - needed to give the cap a good press on, will see how it does!

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Did an oil change and no leaks so far!

Actually I have an update on this. I purchased another product off of AliExpress that extends the filler neck and makes filling the oil easier. Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803333069258.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef18028cpWDZ

Just got done install this right now. This extender screws on where the cap normally screws on. It uses the older style rubber gasket that was replaced by the orange gasket (of the orange gasket and green o-ring kit referenced here: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/oil-around-filler-cap.347218/post-7859834). I took the orange gasket and the green o-ring off of the original cap and replaced the black gasket on the neck as well as adding the green o-ring to the extender neck and then screwed the neck with the orange gasket and green o-ring upgrades onto the original port and put the new oil cap on the extender.

I'll once again report back after a few hundred miles to let you guys know how the new setup is holding up. Since the orange gasket is doing fine so far, I see no reason why it would leak on the new setup. Hopefully oil changes will be easier in the future not having to mess with the stupid opening to the oil cap where funnels and other things don't fit easily and it being in a awkward position to pour in oil directly.

UPDATE: Green o-ring also works on the extender neck. I've added it into the text above.
This resolved my issue as well

speaceage

Got the same issue with quite a bit of oil coming out of the oil cap. The cap feels loose and missing a ring or something..

Anyway, someone experienced in the Auto parts industry suggested I most likely have a clogged up "breather", which eventually causes excessive leak through the oil cap. ($300 without labor)
He kindly warned me that adding more seal to the oil cap without fixing the breather would most certainly cause "all kinds of other problems" overtime.

The oil cap may be an issue to start with but a breather fail would worsen the oil cap symptoms... which could explain why new cap/ring seals work for some, but not in the long term for those who need a new breather ?...

Good luck to all

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I dont even have the leak but I bought the extended filler neck and extra seal tonight from aliexpress for the hell of it tonight

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Shorter one.
BUT it kinda touches the engine cover. Barely. Maybe 10mm will clear 🤷‍♂️ Will post pic later.

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9921.JPG
    IMG_9921.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 110

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So the breather helps with oil cap seepage.

Is it something that's needed or able to use with a catch can system

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
So the breather helps with oil cap seepage.

Is it something that's needed or able to use with a catch can system
That type of one way breather needs the engine vacuum to still be there like with stock PCV. It should help when you get high boost blow by that the PVC is not able to deal with.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The problem isn't the o ring but the main seal.

I changed mine out today with the red seal and green o ring. The original cap has a black seal and no o ring. No leakage previously (maybe slightly?) but precautionary change to prevent future possible leaks.

Got the kit for ea888 gen3 from AliExpress:

US $7.21 15%OFF | New Oil Filter Cap O-Ring Rubber Sealing Gasket EA888 EA211 EA111 EA113 For VW Passat B5 B6 B7 B8 Golf 4 5 6 7 Jetta Polo Caddy
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM4qsGE

View attachment 256790
View attachment 256791
I ordered just the O rings before, but I should have ordered this. I'm still leaking a bit. I got a bit of an alert when I smelled burned rubber. Apparently some dripped down on the belt and allowed it to slip. It seems either the seal isn't good on the factory one or the spring is weak. It looks like the red seal is taller to make it fit tighter. I'm hoping this is the answer. It all started after the last dealer oil change and also before my stage 1 tune. I just didn't realize how bad it had gotten until last week.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
FYI the oil caps seal on that inner ring (square cut o-ring), nothing else. Any additional o-rings just cover up the symptom (positive crankcase pressure pushing oil out).

1704523351306.png

I believe the design is intended for the oil cap to be a "last resort" to vent excess positive pressure in the crankcase if something really goes south (would be in the multiple pounds of force - you'll see if you try to squeeze the top and bottom together what I mean).

===========================================
HOWEVER - I'd be willing to bet a LOT of people when doing oil changes lay their cap upside down. There is actually a BMW service bulletin regarding this very issue because this is common on them as well:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10149283-9999.pdf

When you set one of our oil caps upside-down, any oil on the o-ring can run down the outside edge of the o-ring... where it will be on the OUTSIDE when reinstalled... and because oil has a tendency to "wick" or seep when hot... it spreads and it becomes visible over time.
===========================================

I built a an oil cap specifically for being able to test crankcase pressures a while back, where you can see how it looks when taken apart:

And I've since fitted a couple of vacuum sensors to my car (one for the crankcase directly, and one for the PCV via the MK8 valve PCV sensor - which measures the WOT vacuum source)... because it turns out it IS possible to get our crankcase to go positive, but only very slightly on stock hardware. It turns out turbo inlet pipes seem to drop the available vacuum source by about 85%.. to be tested very soon.

It doesn't happen MUCH, but stop and go traffic is what seems to do it the most. Here for example is a log on stock boost levels (though at this RPM/load, the tune is not even remotely a factor), just taking off from a stop where the crankcase goes slightly positive to just shy of 0.1psi for about 0.8 sec:

1704522760613.png

More info on the crankcase pressure testing stuff is going on here... It is all related to the issues I'm solving with the MK8 PCV + Venturi. The OEM stuff allows the crankcase to operate VERY close to ambient pressure, or above ambient in some very short/specific situations (like the one above). 0.1psi isn't a TON... but it's enough to make a slow sweating of oil.

I'm curious - how many people with leaking oil caps (or other leaks for that matter) have aftermarket turbo inlet pipes? I'll be testing my theory in the next week, but I'm 100% confident they're going to make the above situation 10x worse.

/ tinfoil hat

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I still have the stock turbo inlet. I'm not sure what caused it to start, though it started after the last dealer done oil change. I also ordered a new cap in addition to the new seals. The Racingline VWR cap says it guarantees to fix the weeping issue so I'm guessing the cap has a higher clamping force from the spring fit. I decided to order that and I'll use the new seals on that cap. I never had any oil issues before that oil change and it started before I tuned the car. I have done a couple of oil changes myself and I don't recall leaving the cap upside down. I don't know what the dealer did with it. I removed, cleaned the seal and reinstalled it, but I haven't driven the car since then. Either way I want a new cap and seals on the car and I'll report back after that.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm curious - how many people with leaking oil caps (or other leaks for that matter) have aftermarket turbo inlet pipes? I'll be testing my theory in the next week, but I'm 100% confident they're going to make the above situation 10x worse.

/ tinfoil hat
If my memory is recalling accurately, I've had very slight seepage since I got the car (Sept 2016 with about 8k on it), so both with and without my MST TIP and silicone hose installed (installed Feb 2020 at about 43k). I feel like the seepage has been pretty consistent across both scenarios (present day at about 73k miles).