GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM+ 2-DOOR MKVII

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Got it in for another corrosion claim last week. He worked some magic last time for me so fingers crossed he can pull through again this year.
They also had a beautiful King's Red 40th edition on the lot that got me tempted and I'm not even a red car guy. Really hard to let go of a two-door though.
Damn, also realizing King's Red looks way better in person. Pictures don't really do it justice, could be the exposure in these.

View attachment 278623

View attachment 278624

View attachment 278625
Fun fact, the red on the 40th ed. is actually Tornado Red, same as the Mk7. The regular Mk8 is King's Red (darker):

22461-B5-C-F31-C-4-F28-B837-E108666487-FE.jpg

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Summers re-torqued. Shot of the front brake upgrade to PP with re-badged calipers. Couple updates on planned projects;
  • Corrosion claim submitted.
  • Fog lights from salvage arrived. Still need to source new switch and harness.
  • Harness for Helix woofer/amp in the mail. Been planning interior trim removal, dealership still waiting to hear back on getting a coding dongle in for me for purchase.
  • OEM Euro tails in the basket, will probably pull the trigger mid-May.
  • Might swap out the steering wheel this weekend. Had the thing for almost a year now and have been putting it off, not looking forward to swapping trim. Very faint rattle behind the buttons, might be warn-out plastic so been debating on buying a new set of buttons for the swap.

Summer.jpg

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not getting any luck on being able to purchase the Helix programming dongle.. both local dealerships can't get them ordered, and any other I reach out to won't sell it to me.. Going to poke around at other dealerships to see if I get lucky, or at least get lucky in getting them to program it for a beer.

If people knew what it took to 'program' these things they would throw a fit at the 160$ service cost.. such a scam.

1682705723177.png

Ay, shoutout to Humberview VW;
1682707725397.png

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Did a Spring deep-clean to take some photos for the corrosion claim. This is mostly it; front fenders coming down to the rocker.
Dealership came through and covered both front fenders and both rockers covered fully under warranty. Self reminder for May 29th drop-off.

Also, replaced my knob. Boot leather was cracking, sides were falling off, plastic was bubbling, leather was all worn in.
Feels nice and stiff, it used to feel like it was going to fall apart and go limp in my hand. Now it feels good to hold onto. 🥴

20230501_170631.jpg

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Dealership came through and covered both front fenders and both rockers covered fully under warranty. Self reminder for May 29th drop-off.

Also, replaced my knob. Boot leather was cracking, sides were falling off, plastic was bubbling, leather was all worn in.
Feels nice and stiff, it used to feel like it was going to fall apart and go limp in my hand. Now it feels good to hold onto. 🥴

View attachment 279951
Which knob are we talking about?

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got back from vacation, went up North to stay at the Cabin. Stopped at my partner's old highschool to take some clean-ish pictures before it got covered in bugs for 1,800km. Body work looks great from the warranty shop, small fitment issue at the bumper/fender so will get that adjusted in time. Threw on some new clear plate covers and brought the steering wheel I never have time to install.

PXL_20230715_140538383~2.jpg
PXL_20230715_140548642.jpg

PXL_20230715_140837051.jpg

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So I forced myself to install the new wheel that's been sitting in a box for a year. OEM TCR wheel that I bought second hand. Guy purchased it from ECS (verified the purchase) but he didn't like the thickness so sold it to me for a fraction of what he paid.

Did a whole bunch of research to build up the confidence to do the trim/button swap. Bit the bullet and ordered an extra brushed alu. trim in case I busted any of the plastic barbs. I used ShopDap's video for teardown, and the barb holes are definitely not the same location from their Alltrack MK7 project.. see difference from the sheet I printed vs. actual. Overall really clean OEM+ look, only busted one barb even after taking my time with it, so glad I paid for the extra trim.

PXL_20230716_164850536.jpg
PXL_20230716_164857510.jpg
PXL_20230716_172256470.jpg
PXL_20230716_172833177.jpg
PXL_20230716_174013209.jpg

1689870676929.png

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Very sharp looking. What's the thickness compared to the stock wheel? Looks fairly comparable from the photos. Definitely an upgrade either way.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What's the thickness compared to the stock wheel?
I would say the exact same. If anything, the perforated leather makes it feel slightly bigger but not much of a difference. I grabbed some thicker wheels just to see if I'd prefer something bigger but I've always been a fan of the OEM thickness which this is perfect for.