GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NAR Golf 1.8 TSI MK7 to 7.5 Tail Light Issue

bladerunner0427

Howdy,
Just installed some replica 7.5 tail lights on my NAR 2016 Golf 1.8 TSI. I purchased them from Aliexpress. The seller/brand is AKD (Aokeding?). Per their description, the tails should be plug n play if you selected the right kit. I purchased Kit B for MK7 with halogen tails.

My issue is the dynamic tails don't work and the inner lights don't turn on. From my search, someone from Candad had a similar issue. I think the solution was to use a harness purchased from a member Jbale.

Before I jump to any conclusions, just wanted some opinions on what else it could be. I have the OBD11, but have not tried coding. I reached out to the seller...waiting for a reply.

Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/obyOeYyNe6M

Link to the product:
PUS $360 25%OFF | AKD Car Styling for VW Golf 7 Tail Lights 2013-2017 Golf7 Mk7 LED Tail Lamp LED DRL Dynami Signal Brake Reverse auto Accessories
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bnZBPf76

Thank you for reading.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
They are working as lights without harness/coding would. As it says in the ad it wanted you to buy kit B which comes with the wiring harness.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
"No need coding. No need changing original wires" lol...

I think that was referencing if you had "kit A" version - Original factory Mk7 LED tails.

Since you have the halogen tails as all NAR Mk7 are equipped, you are missing some wiring from the BCM under your dash to the tails for the amber signal and other functions. Solution is to a) run those additional wires by ripping up carpeting and trim along the entire length of your car or b) get an adapter harness.

Since you got "kit B" that came with "wires" - what kind of wire are they? And did you install them? Are they wires that you need to run to the BCM in scenario 'a)' above or is it a variation of the adapter harnesses available on the markets?

If it is an adapter harness, then you just need to plug it in and do coding to get full function. Otherwise, it will really depend on what you got for "wires" with kit B.

If you were to go out and get an adapter harness yourself, shops like BEC, DAP, ECS will sell the adapter harness and provide basic coding instructions. Just make sure you buy the right one.

Forum user JBale that you mentioned does not make them anymore the last I heard. You can PM him to see if he will make one for you. Another option (and better option imo) is getting it through user ZERO815. He definitely makes them currently and provides amazing support for coding to make sure you get your tails working the way you want.

Otherwise, if you have a whole bunch of hours to kill and want to make your wiring like factory, then you can run wires to the BCM from the tails. I think user LIjetta on Vortex has a write up from when he did it.

Good luck!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
For NAR cars I haven't seen true a plug and play solution on AliExpress yet. There is a slight chance that some lights work plug and play on European MK7 cars that came with LED tails from the factory without coding. But after I saw your video I highly doubt that that's case with your lights. As soon as you turn on the running lights the outer amber section turns on permanently. On other AliExpress lights with blue connectors I noticed that Pin3 and Pin4 at the outer light were connected. That would explain what I see on your lights too.

bladerunner0427

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm gonna be out of town on business. I'll take a picture of the ends of the two cables. They're identical. They had very small connectors with only 2 wires each (one black and one yellow IIRC). I connected inner tails with one cable and the outer tails with the other cable.

I'll post again on the weekend.

bladerunner0427

They are working as lights without harness/coding would. As it says in the ad it wanted you to buy kit B which comes with the wiring harness.
I'm glad they're working with the necessary lights because I didn't want to undo the work of running the 2 cables in the trunk body.

bladerunner0427

Here a 2 photos of the new connectors. Each tail light piece has a female plug with 2 wires. The tail lights came with 2 cables with male connectors which I assume we're meant to connect them together...inner to inner and outer to outer.

Gonna download WeChat so I can communicate with the vendor. Hopefully, I don't need a new harness and it's just coding.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Two wires between inner and outer is a good start. Which pins in outer and inner lights do they connect?

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

bladerunner0427

Two wires between inner and outer is a good start. Which pins in outer and inner lights do they connect?

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
I'm not sure.

After thinking about it some more, maybe the cables we're meant to connect inner and outer pair together??? Maybe that's where I messed up. The box came with no instructions. I messaged the vendor. Waiting for a reply.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Somehow you need to share the turn signal on each side between the inner and outer pair. They should be connected and not outer to outer and inner to inner.

Anyway find out where the yellow and the black wires are connected to on inner and outer lights. Most likely it’s not only coding.

bladerunner0427

Somehow you need to share the turn signal on each side between the inner and outer pair. They should be connected and not outer to outer and inner to inner.

Anyway find out where the yellow and the black wires are connected to on inner and outer lights. Most likely it’s not only coding.
I was afraid of that...I know what I'm doing this weekend...

bladerunner0427

Ok...so on Sunday I re-wired the tail lights so that the left inner and outer pair are connected by the cable supplied with the lights and same done to the right side. When I turn on the headlights, the inner dynamic lights turn on now with the outer. But the turn signals just stay lit and don't perform as expected. See attached video. On the seller's AliExpress webstore, a customer mentioned that coding was needed. I hope it's just coding. The seller is not help.

Thanks for reading.

https://youtu.be/pKnrc2g1KEw

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Ok...so on Sunday I re-wired the tail lights so that the left inner and outer pair are connected by the cable supplied with the lights and same done to the right side. When I turn on the headlights, the inner dynamic lights turn on now with the outer. But the turn signals just stay lit and don't perform as expected. See attached video. On the seller's AliExpress webstore, a customer mentioned that coding was needed. I hope it's just coding. The seller is not help.

Thanks for reading.

https://youtu.be/pKnrc2g1KEw

Pin3 and Pin4 on the outer lights are connected within the lights. Code Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 27 to "not active" and the amber section doesn't turn on if you switch your lights on.

To get the sweeping you need to change some wiring and coding.

Did you find out where to the yellow and black wires connect?

openlog

Hi guys, first post here! Long-time lurker ;) My apologies for resurrecting this thread.

Any luck with figuring this out? I bought the same tail lights but mine only has one wire additional wire connecting each tail light, rather than two like OP has. My tail light behavior is the same at OP's, with some minor differences (due to a kencha/urban mod previously done).

ZERO815, your suggestion of changing Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 27 to "not active" worked in disabling the turn signal lights being constantly lit. Isn't this the channel for side marker lights on NAR vehicles? Why is this controlling the dynamic turn signals?

Is there a way to convert RC6 to be able to control the dynamics? There is two of these lights, but since it's only one channel, does that mean they can't do left/right turn signals?

So much for confirming that they are "plug-and-play" and require "no coding" with the supplier :/

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Is there a way to convert RC6 to be able to control the dynamics? There is two of these lights, but since it's only one channel, does that mean they can't do left/right turn signal.
That would be magic... It doesn't work w/o re-pinning and coding or adapter harness and coding!
If you remove and isolate the wire of outer-left pin4 you can use RC6 as the right turn signal. Where do you get the left turn signal from? One option is to move inner-left pin4 to pin3 and code Leuchte28 as turn signal left. Now share inner-right pin4 signal with inner-left pin4 and you'll have two reverse lights again.