GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What’s the magical trick to take the PCV hose off the turbo inlet pipe? This thing is killing me.
I just pull and twist. It is a pain though

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I just pull and twist. It is a pain though
The problem was, the DV of the Garrett turbo prevented turning really at all. It was brutal

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Paging SimosTools users.

How in the hell do I switch maps? I've seen 3 different ways on youtube and none worked for me. It's past my tuners bedtime where he lives so before I give up on logging tonight I thought I'd ask you fine people.
You can’t if it doesn’t have map switching. otherwise hold cancel for a few seconds if thats what he mapped it to

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Does this fuel line look funny? It was a lot smoother looking when I installed it a few days ago.

IMG_4756.jpeg

edit: I’m an idiot. Off to Oreillys for some Barricade SAE J30R14 type 2

Last edited:

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
for us other idiots out here, what happened?
I added an ethanol sensor and replaced the whole low pressure side of the fuel line that runs across the top of the intake manifold to keep the factory one intact. But not thinking much of it I just grabbed some $3/ft fuel line from Autozone (ArmorMark SAE J30R7) and apparently it was only rated for 50psi. After like 4 days it starts looking all bumpy/bubbly and smells slightly of gas fumes.

So I did a quick search and apparently our low pressure side gets up around 100psi. Immediately ran to Oreillys for 3ft of Gates Barricade Fuel Injection hose (SAE J30R14 Type 2). It’s $10/ft and feels much higher quality and is rated for 225psi working pressure and even compatible with up to 100% ethanol. It’s also a 5 layer hose with super low permeation so gas vapor won’t come through it as much.

We should be good to go now. Could have had a real situation there.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...h-i-d-nitrile-rubber-nbr-fuel-hose/gaty/27340

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I added an ethanol sensor and replaced the whole low pressure side of the fuel line that runs across the top of the intake manifold to keep the factory one intact. But not thinking much of it I just grabbed some $3/ft fuel line from Autozone (ArmorMark SAE J30R7) and apparently it was only rated for 50psi. After like 4 days it starts looking all bumpy/bubbly and smells slightly of gas fumes.

So I did a quick search and apparently our low pressure side gets up around 100psi. Immediately ran to Oreillys for 3ft of Gates Barricade Fuel Injection hose (SAE J30R14 Type 2). It’s $10/ft and feels much higher quality and is rated for 225psi working pressure and even compatible with up to 100% ethanol. It’s also a 5 layer hose with super low permeation so gas vapor won’t come through it as much.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...h-i-d-nitrile-rubber-nbr-fuel-hose/gaty/27340
Thanks! That's definitely something I wouldn't have thought about as well, so it's good to be aware of.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

yeah that could have been really bad lol......installed an ethanol sensor and clamps to connectors weren't tight enough and the psi of fuel that spits out covered my engine bay in a matter of seconds

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion

Yikes! Good catch, that could have ended badly. Thankfully while the line was only rated for 50psi usually the ratings are much lower than the failure point whatever that might be.

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yikes! Good catch, that could have ended badly. Thankfully while the line was only rated for 50psi usually the ratings are much lower than the failure point whatever that might be.
Right - looking back, burst pressure for SAE J30R7 is 250psi, but I am not up for durability testing that.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
What’s the magical trick to take the PCV hose off the turbo inlet pipe? This thing is killing me.
I hate that thing so much, when I put my CTS inlet pipe in I spent probably an hour fighting it, then finally I grabbed a 90 degree pick and that was the trick.