GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAPerformance downpipe loose again..

A2MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Gunna have to get my hands on a new one. Just tightened mine up tonight and yeah.. it was a bitch to say the least.

No problem man. I knew there was no way I was/was going to be the only one experiencing this. Felt needed since all of the discussion regarding this stuff isn't accessible anymore.

Figured it out. Thanks again.

Sounds... good right? :rolleyes:

Just ordered this one up.. looks perfect and it's on prime so I should get it Saturday. Thanks for the link!

AMAZING!
:D

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
I have no say in the sealant vs no sealant but I will suggest if you can: use an impact or find a friend with one. The amount of torque even shitty autozone clamps can take is awe-inspiring and they will conform perfectly to however you align the pipes with the proper amount of force.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I tightened as much as I possibly could by hand but I’ll take your word for it and have someone take an impact to it next chance I get.. here’s a look at the old (with the shredded heatwrap still hanging on for dear life) vs the new.. much more snug...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Is the rattle gone now?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Is the rattle gone now?

Yes, but under load I can tell there’s still a very slight leak, so I’m going to have to get ahold of an impact for some extra torque.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Wtf? My cheap ass ebay special has not leaked for 16000 miles. Lol...

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Probably all that burnt on sealent mess

I’ve never had one leak either

IDK? My stock vclamp worked and I think the gasket was stuck on the turbo side. After adding dual bolt stainless clamp on bottom it was good. Tightened up all bolts maybe after 1000 miles. Have not touched them since.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I was at a local autoparts store and they have those thin ss band clamps but they're unrolled, similar to this for $15: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-693250-1/overview/ Are they flimsy? Because it looked flimsy in store not rolled up.

I intended on ordering this through Amazon, $5 more than the one I saw in store. Seems a little more heavy duty. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043E3BRS

They all ship flat, flimsy is a misconception because it’s thin. You’d be spending $5 extra just for the longer wait because they’ll be identical

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Yeah mine came flat and it fits on perfectly. It’s not flimsy. Had the bolts torqued with an impact today and no more leak. Nice n tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT

So I picked up this clamp before installing my MAP dp this morning. Tried to fit the stock clamp but my AWE 2.5" reducer is slightly bigger than the MAP end. The MAP dp can be moved in/out rather easy. Was going to swap out for the above clamp but not seeing how it will fit. Box has the part number for 2.5" (E25ST). I also asked the Advanced Auto employee. Diggs24 or anyone know if this will fit or do I need get something else? No audible exhaust leaks yet so prob get by with stock clamp for now. Thanks in advance!

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
That looks too big.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looks like it ended up in the wrong box.

But side note, you’re still using a 2.5” reducer on both your 3” downpipe & 3” CBE...that’s a lot of money to still have a 2.5” section choking it down

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
That looks too big.

Looks like it ended up in the wrong box.

But side note, you’re still using a 2.5” reducer on both your 3” downpipe & 3” CBE...that’s a lot of money to still have a 2.5” section choking it down

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Shouldn't be a problem to exchange/return.

Gti jake - I got a free install with purchase of the AWE, so the 2.5" reducer is what they installed on the car. I didn't get anything else from the shop. Also the MAP dp comes with the end reduced to 2.5". I didn't realize that is an issue. I remembered reading it wasn't a problem while researching the dp.

I have a vibrant 17950 which I picked up after reading your exhaust thread. Can a muffler shop make me a 3" pipe and cut out the 2.5" sections?