GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
What's with this company always releasing "V2" of their products so soon after "V1"? Are they knowingly putting out trash only to capitalize on a re-buy? And if not, once word gets out about the lack of transparency and poor R&D on "V1", who even wants to deal with them going further? Not trying to hijack your post but IE seems to be getting the ire of a lot of people lately, including me.
products are always subjected to change is how I look at it... Just cause they release a v1 doesn't make it the perfect product. If you noticed threw out the yrs aftermarket companies do make revisions to their products/parts. oem companies do the exact same and trust me they do way more r&d then aftermarket companies so no it's not poor R&D. Theres always room for improvement. Once items have been one the market for sometime you're going to have feedback from people. so of course some companies will come out with v2 to have out a better product.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
products are always subjected to change is how I look at it... Just cause they release a v1 doesn't make it the perfect product. If you noticed threw out the yrs aftermarket companies do make revisions to their products/parts. oem companies do the exact same and trust me they do way more r&d then aftermarket companies so no it's not poor R&D. Theres always room for improvement. Once items have been one the market for sometime you're going to have feedback from people. so of course some companies will come out with v2 to have out a better product.

Theres been tons of unpublished revisions to Gti from 2015-2020, most of it is pretty insignificant, but changes none the less

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Theres been tons of unpublished revisions to Gti from 2015-2020, most of it is pretty insignificant, but changes none the less
Oh I am sure I wouldn't doubt it

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
They've had a lot more than just V1 and V2 intakes. Several revisions of the V1 closed CF intake prior to V2 coming out, Shaggz had an early V1 and they sent him several bags of parts along the way since it never fit correctly and he kept after them for a solution
I know, I had the original closed carbon fiber intake and from the getgo it came with the wrong installation pieces. Customer service asked me the same questions over and over again when I sent specific pictures of my inquiries. Got rid of it because of fitment issues and going a different direction. Have a V1 intake that’s now rusting after 11 months. Not very happy with their line of products at the moment. Now they’re conning their new open element intake with a carbon fiber shroud. I assume V3 is around the corner to make up for it’s shortcomings, I assume the carbon will turn yellow in 6 months instead this time.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Marketing, hehe

They made a lot of claims of bigger this and bigger that we will see how it run when someone buys one.
just from a technical aspect (not performance) it is bigger than before... about 1/2' thicker core and about 3/8" taller and wider

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Looks like one of the IE marketing folks is giving Ed @EQT one to test. Will be interesting to see what Ed thinks of the new one since he wasn’t a fan of the other. Bold marketing move IE

love this. more companies need to do real data testing with their products before making claims and selling them. I'm not a huge fan of APR but one thing they do right is test and use their products. Ed is one of the few guys I trust to do a good test.

super interesting though the core volume is massive, looks like ~1,100 inch^3 if my public shool math is correct? vs APR at ~880, making the IE version 2 like 28% more core volume than the APR. Not sure it matters as the APR has been shown to control IATs very well even on hybrid turbos, and the larger core may create more pressure drop, but is interesting.

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Looks like one of the IE marketing folks is giving Ed @EQT one to test. Will be interesting to see what Ed thinks of the new one since he wasn’t a fan of the other. Bold marketing move IE

I'm in the EQT group. About a week ago Ed posted that an Vortex equipped car performed well with the IE intercooler. Something is fishy with the negativity toward the IE v1 IC.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Ed's all the hype right now too. If he says it's good they'll sell a bunch of them to his customers.

You're messing with my business.
When Ed drives, he's golden.
Kids pour in. They want everything he has.
Every performance part. They pay cash!