GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
NGK link not working for me either, any ideas?

1591490022683.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The article states that if the tuner recommends a colder plug, then listen to the tuner. I think thats important to point out since EQT recommends a colder plug for even stage 1.

The article says right after that statement you copied that even for a car with full bolt ons you won't see any benefits so don't waste your time or money. It's always best to quote the whole sentence not just part of it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

ScozR

Ready to race!
The article states that if the tuner recommends a colder plug, then listen to the tuner. I think thats important to point out since EQT recommends a colder plug for even stage 1.

The article says right after that statement you copied that even for a car with full bolt ons you won't see any benefits so don't waste your time or money. It's always best to quote the whole sentence not just part of it.

So I guess what we just determined is that that article is a worthless piece of crap since the writer contradicts himself in the very next sentence. At any rate, do what you want with your car.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Gen coupe page.... full bolt on could be the V6 NA motor. In which case yes, NA bolt on car isn't adding much power at all and cylinder temp/EGT increase is minimal.

Full bolt on mk7 totally different.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Gen coupe page.... full bolt on could be the V6 NA motor. In which case yes, NA bolt on car isn't adding much power at all and cylinder temp/EGT increase is minimal.

Full bolt on mk7 totally different.

Please give your reasons for the colder plug. I'm going to experiment and go back to stock heat range next time and compare. It's a confusing subject when so many people disagree about heat range. Diggs is well respected in the forum and he's above 440 HP and swears by the stock heat range Ruthenium plugs. I simply don't know.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've always viewed it as an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" thing. If stock heat range isn't giving you issues, then there's no reason to go to a colder range.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
One of the big reasons you go colder spark plugs is to minimize the chance of getting pre-ignition. Note this is different than knock. But it's a very grey area because there's really no way to detect pre-ignition and there's a lot of variables at play. You're most likely to run into pre ignition issues when running the car really hard, think road course etc. Most people never push theirs cars this hard...very different scenario than having a 5-10 second pull on the on ramp or whatever. I think tuners recommendations are naturally on the conservative side of things, and running a colder plug is safer, across all driving conditions etc.

I'm "only" running 1 step colder plugs on my 700hp corvette, almost doubled the HP, but if I were to take it to the track I'd probably get some colder plugs/race style plugs to be safe.

Bottom line yeah it's a grey area for sure. I'm running RS7/RS3 plugs and don't seem to be fouling up fast or anything. I'm OK with 15k-20k interval on the conservative side too. I can't think of any advantages to going back to stock heat range, I'm not trying to extend the service internal of my plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've always viewed it as an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" thing. If stock heat range isn't giving you issues, then there's no reason to go to a colder range.

Okay. I must have misunderstood your post that I quoted.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
One of the big reasons you go colder spark plugs is to minimize the chance of getting pre-ignition. Note this is different than knock. But it's a very grey area because there's really no way to detect pre-ignition and there's a lot of variables at play. You're most likely to run into pre ignition issues when running the car really hard, think road course etc. Most people never push theirs cars this hard...very different scenario than having a 5-10 second pull on the on ramp or whatever. I think tuners recommendations are naturally on the conservative side of things, and running a colder plug is safer, across all driving conditions etc.

I'm "only" running 1 step colder plugs on my 700hp corvette, almost doubled the HP, but if I were to take it to the track I'd probably get some colder plugs/race style plugs to be safe.

Bottom line yeah it's a grey area for sure. I'm running RS7/RS3 plugs and don't seem to be fouling up fast or anything. I'm OK with 15k-20k interval on the conservative side too. I can't think of any advantages to going back to stock heat range, I'm not trying to extend the service internal of my plugs.

The only reason I was considering going back to the stock heat range is to try the Ruthenium plugs which aren't available 1 step colder and because so many guys are using them and are happy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

What issues would you notice with a stock heat range that would indicate you need to go 1 step colder.