GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Air Intake block plate: 5Q0129849

Happened to be on ECS and came across this air inlet block off plate for $24-26, I cannot remember the exact price. But thought it was a simple easy OEM mod. It prevents the hot engine bay air, entering the inlet track and jacking up IAT’s even more. Installed in 15-mins, Super easy.

The back of the plate (engine side)
0C2B04F9-B416-48CE-9C77-75EB5564B506.jpeg

The Front View
285B2370-6A1A-4FFD-8135-6617AE581A2E.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What did you go with in the rear?

PowerBrake PB09’s in the Rear
PowerBrake PB13’s in the Front (which I have been running from the beginning)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Air Intake block plate: 5Q0129849

Happened to be on ECS and came across this air inlet block off plate for $24-26, I cannot remember the exact price. But thought it was a simple easy OEM mod. It prevents the hot engine bay air, entering the inlet track and jacking up IAT’s even more. Installed in 15-mins, Super easy.

The back of the plate (engine side)
View attachment 190770

The Front View
View attachment 190771

I'd love to see some real input for this mod, like if block that inflow of air into the engine compartment has any downside and if it actually does help lower IAT's. Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I won’t have any before data? I can place my OBD11 Tablet in the seat pocket and try my hand at some data logging. IATs and Coolant temps to test my AMS IC and CSF Radiator mods. May check the VAQ pump parameters while I’m collecting data.

With the back closed off, you will get some ram air effect at speed. Don’t see any downside to blocking the back. The air behind the radiators is going to be pretty warm after passing through 3 heat exchangers.

Expecting 50F in the morning, warming up to 70F in the afternoon. Engine Temps should be fine

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At speed though, wouldn't this be a source of cooler air into the engine bay, helping keep under hood temps down some? I really don't know, it just seems that they did it for a reason. Just a thought.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yes it would help under hood temps at speed By not having the block off plate. It’s a good point. It’s a VW part used in Europe. Why there and not in the USA?

In traffic having the back blocked would help. On track it may be less effective because you’re at speed. I believe that having an outlet for the built up under hood air is more important. Basically an exit for all the stalled air coming in through the radiator.

I could simply remove it to do back to back tests.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yes it would help under hood temps at speed By not having the block off plate. It’s a good point. It’s a VW part used in Europe. Why there and not in the USA?

In traffic having the back blocked would help. On track it may be less effective because you’re at speed. I believe that having an outlet for the built up under hood air is more important. Basically an exit for all the stalled air coming in through the radiator.

I could simply remove it to do back to back tests.
Louvres help dramatically :).

Is that part for diesels? It would make sense if it was...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
At speed though, wouldn't this be a source of cooler air into the engine bay, helping keep under hood temps down some? I really don't know, it just seems that they did it for a reason. Just a thought.

Got everything put back together. Don’t see how the air even makes it to the oil cooler. To much in the way. It’s water to oil so relies on the coolant to remove heat. It may help keep the alternator cool.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
PowerGrid Endlinks

During my track pad change and brake bleed I checked the front endlinks for contact with the inner fender. No signs of contact at -3.4 degrees.
This may also be partly due to the CSS Swivels.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Heading to a cool, dry and sunny VIR. Wooohoo!!!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Heading to a cool, dry and sunny VIR. Wooohoo!!!

Definitely fwd and awd kinda days!

Looks like you had a good amount of push at times. Was that you going too fast in? In this kind of weather my rear end is crazy loose and I spend almost every corner sideways, especially when trail braking harder.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
No. The car was super loose. I was loosing the rear.