GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Navi

Autocross Champion
Got my EQT remote dyno tune today and the tune is much smoother than my local dyno tune. Feels much faster even though the numbers are about what I had before but it was on a different brand of dyno. Plus it was 107 degrees which didn't help and the IAT's were very high. I didn't get the actual IAT temps though.
Datalog?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

No. I couldn't even get a boost or timing chart from the dyno place. He showed them to me on a laptop and said that he couldn't print them. Not much I could say. I didn't think telling him it was bull would have been any help. This dyno place also tunes on Cobb so I don't think he was too excited to be helpful when I was buying a tune from a competitor. He probably doesn't sell that much because it's a one man operation so he'll rent dyno time to generate income.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The TC scheme is not faulty and works very well. We set it to slot 3 by default because we found that generally provides the best actual acceleration and 0-60mph times. The fact that selections revert to the default setting after key off is a limitation of the platform... it is not something we have any control over.

From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like your factory TCS is fully deactivated. For GTI's you have to use OBD11 or VCDS to code it so that it can be fully disabled... otherwise you cannot turn the factory system off. The Cobb TC actuates smoothly without any sudden cuts.

Thanks
-- Ed

I already did the adaption via OBD11 and I was set to ESC off, not dynamic. I'm willing to play around and figure out what it is. It doesn't do it with the Cobb OTS stg 1, so I assumed it was the TC, but from your description, that probably isn't it. My STR Miata had FF shifting and would get confused and do weird stuff sometimes on the 1-2 shift. Is it possible that's it? I'll also swap from my Falken FK510's to the RE71R's to see if that makes a difference. It only does it in 1st gear at WOT and it's always between 5000 and 6000 rpm.

Navi

Autocross Champion
No. I couldn't even get a boost or timing chart from the dyno place. He showed them to me on a laptop and said that he couldn't print them. Not much I could say. I didn't think telling him it was bull would have been any help. This dyno place also tunes on Cobb so I don't think he was too excited to be helpful when I was buying a tune from a competitor. He probably doesn't sell that much because it's a one man operation so he'll rent dyno time to generate income.
datalog driving. 3rd gear pull.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
did you take a pic of the screen?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I take a flash drive with me to dynos and save the run files on it so I can take it home and play around with it on the software.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
did you take a pic of the screen?

Honestly didn't even think about it. I was bored to death after sitting there for 3 1/2 hours and just wanted to leave at that point. He didn't have guest wifi and I had a bad cell connection. I read every maginzine he had which were all 5 years old.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
datalog driving. 3rd gear pull.

When the weather cools down in 4 months. It gets so heat soaked making deliveries it isn't worth doing right now. My IATs at stoplights are running 180 degrees.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A more thorough review of the EQT remote dyno tune. After a full day of driving making deliveries anyone on the fence as to whether or not to get an EQT tune vs another tuner I say just get the EQT tune. Ed says that he adjusts more parameters than other tuners and I agree that he must. I've already said that after my tune the car felt so much smoother and faster. But it's the little things in daily driving that make the tune really stand out. I have the DSG and there's a few hills that I drive up everyday and in Drive mode with my previous tune going up those hills the car would always auto downshift to maintain the same speed with the same throttle input. With the EQT tune it doesn't downshift it just goes up the hill maintaining the speed. The throttle resposne is instantaneous. Just in casual driving in Drive mode when it shifts gears it's so responsive I don't have to apply as much throttle. My previous tune required more throttle input and just wasn't as responsive. Also since it has got hot in Phoenix I was getting an EPC light with heavy throttle beyond 5000 RPM. I asked the dyno place to do a baseline run on my existing tune and because it was 107 degrees he couldn't complete the run because the EPC light would come on putting it into limp mode. The place that did the tune that I went to this appointment with suggested that it was probably the TPC20 that was just installed. It was their tune and it's fine now. One last thing. I scheduled the remote dyno tune with EQT a month ago. I arrived at the local dyno place 30 minutes early and mentioned that I hadn't heard from EQT since I scheduled it and sure enough Ed contacted that shop at the time it was scheduled for. I honestly felt I was wasting my time because the EPC light coming on had just started a few days prior to this when the temperature in Phoenix started hitting 110 degrees. It was too late to cancel the appointment so I went there anyway expecting to be told I need to solve the EPC light first not considering that it could be my current tune since it had been fine to that point. That was a long paragraph. Now get an EQT tune.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A more thorough review of the EQT remote dyno tune. After a full day of driving making deliveries anyone on the fence as to whether or not to get an EQT tune vs another tuner I say just get the EQT tune. Ed says that he adjusts more parameters than other tuners and I agree that he must. I've already said that after my tune the car felt so much smoother and faster. But it's the little things in daily driving that make the tune really stand out. I have the DSG and there's a few hills that I drive up everyday and in Drive mode with my previous tune going up those hills the car would always auto downshift to maintain the same speed with the same throttle input. With the EQT tune it doesn't downshift it just goes up the hill maintaining the speed. The throttle resposne is instantaneous. Just in casual driving in Drive mode when it shifts gears it's so responsive I don't have to apply as much throttle. My previous tune required more throttle input and just wasn't as responsive. Also since it has got hot in Phoenix I was getting an EPC light with heavy throttle beyond 5000 RPM. I asked the dyno place to do a baseline run on my existing tune and because it was 107 degrees he couldn't complete the run because the EPC light would come on putting it into limp mode. The place that did the tune that I went to this appointment with suggested that it was probably the TPC20 that was just installed. It was their tune and it's fine now. One last thing. I scheduled the remote dyno tune with EQT a month ago. I arrived at the local dyno place 30 minutes early and mentioned that I hadn't heard from EQT since I scheduled it and sure enough Ed contacted that shop at the time it was scheduled for. I honestly felt I was wasting my time because the EPC light coming on had just started a few days prior to this when the temperature in Phoenix started hitting 110 degrees. It was too late to cancel the appointment so I went there anyway expecting to be told I need to solve the EPC light first not considering that it could be my current tune since it had been fine to that point. That was a long paragraph. Now get an EQT tune.

How long did it take and how many revisions\logs were sent back and forth?

Navi

Autocross Champion
When the weather cools down in 4 months. It gets so heat soaked making deliveries it isn't worth doing right now. My IATs at stoplights are running 180 degrees.

4 months? 😬

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How long did it take and how many revisions\logs were sent back and forth?

It took 3 1/2 hours and there was 8 revisions. I was surprised that Ed could do a revision that fast. Oh and he fixed that WG bleeding off boost in the 2-3000 RPM range problem so it makes it feel like the TPC20 is boosting sooner than it was.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Yeah it's Phoenix. The daily high temperature will be above 100 until some time in September or October unfortunately. 112 today.
But it's a dry heat. LOL