GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
love this. more companies need to do real data testing with their products before making claims and selling them. I'm not a huge fan of APR but one thing they do right is test and use their products. Ed is one of the few guys I trust to do a good test.

super interesting though the core volume is massive, looks like ~1,100 inch^3 if my public shool math is correct? vs APR at ~880, making the IE version 2 like 28% more core volume than the APR. Not sure it matters as the APR has been shown to control IATs very well even on hybrid turbos, and the larger core may create more pressure drop, but is interesting.

You're "shool math" looks good but your spelling could use a boost. 😂

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Even the Do88 logs 30* over with MPI hybrid.

Hybrids run high drive pressure thanks to tight A/R which results in high EGT. All this adds up to higher IAT.

I’ve been looking at a lot of 500+whp logs lately and the WG opening has almost a direct flip in the IAT going back to climbing

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

Hybrids run high drive pressure thanks to tight A/R which results in high EGT. All this adds up to higher IAT.

I’ve been looking at a lot of 500+whp logs lately and the WG opening has almost a direct flip in the IAT going back to climbing

The part in bold, can you explain how TIP and EGT are causing a high IAT.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

sorry I don't understand what you're saying, what do you interpret this to mean?

and do you consider the D088 intercooler to be superior at lowering IATs ?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
sorry I don't understand what you're saying, what do you interpret this to mean?

and do you consider the D088 intercooler to be superior at lowering IATs ?

I’m saying even one of the largest and the best flowing direct replacement is having trouble with high horsepower hybrids

https://mygolfmk7.com/2020/03/do88-intercooler-flow-test/

http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-r-intercooler-comparison/

What I’m saying is I don’t believe IE going bigger is going to make a significant difference.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Dropped to 5f over ambient ending roughly 20f higher than ambient by the end of a hard pull.

Where basically all of the top performers would’ve stayed 5* over till redline in the same conditions if Diggs was making sub 350-400ish hp.

Bottom line is NONE of the current options produce good results with MPI Hybrids.

Good being defined as not gaining IAT after the initial drop.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Maybe BT guys should get the Mishimoto that’s spammed all over the threads..