GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr just announced on Facebook....

gtiw7

Ready to race!
We've hit as high as 330 HP with our software so far. Quite a large gain over stock and was the highest output the TUV testing has seen.

Arin!! welcome on board! nice to see you paying attention to Golfmk7.com :D holly crap 330hp :eek: that's 50% more hp over stock!! looks like the wait will be worth it.
although thats running 100 octane but are you sure there's still room for more hp with bolt-ons?! lol

kenny.c

Ready to race!
We've hit as high as 330 HP with our software so far. Quite a large gain over stock and was the highest output the TUV testing has seen.

WOW...330bhp....impressive....it will be interesting to hear how close to max injector flow rate that is at......even with direct and port injectors.....

Ken

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
There is still a little more room with the stock turbo, but we're already going larger. Here's a jetta:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Very shortly. We were recently in germany dialing in power for ROW market fuels (95, 98, 99, 100, 102 RON) and it went very well. We've spent sometime putting miles on the cars and our Germany operation is doing some accelerated life testing on the autobahn.

I had the pleasure myself of driving our Golf R with our software wide open for most of our trip between Ochsenhausen, to Berlin and over to Oschersleben and back.

We hit hither than this, but it got a little scary so we backed off and kept it around 260 most of the way. We punished the R on that trip. : )

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Arin, at last! Very happy to see you here! I have a question (well, tons of questions..!)
Does your stage 1 for the GTI have the ability to swap between stock, 93 and 100 octane fuel like the one for the mk6? This is the main decision-feature for me because I don't want to have "conflicts" with the pathetic vw garage if a problem occurs (you know, "your car is tuned, warranty is affected, you wouldn't have a problem if our car was untouched by a tuner" etc.)
And another one. Does this 330hp we were told will be available in the program you will release? I mean, your final program will have that figure or you just made it as aggressive as you could to see if the engine (turbo, high pressure fuel pump, injectors -direct and indirect- etc.) can cope with the stress? Will your intake increase the power (with your "bolt-on" algorithm as in the mk6)? Any torque figures? If the gen-3 on Jettas and Beatles produce ~42kgm what's the current figure you achieved in the GTI as it has valve-lift, dual cam-phasing, bigger turbo, etc? ~45kgm???

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Arin, at last! Very happy to see you here! I have a question (well, tons of questions..!)
Does your stage 1 for the GTI have the ability to swap between stock, 93 and 100 octane fuel like the one for the mk6? This is the main decision-feature for me because I don't want to have "conflicts" with the pathetic vw garage if a problem occurs (you know, "your car is tuned, warranty is affected, you wouldn't have a problem if our car was untouched by a tuner" etc.)

They now have new advances, so currently, if software is on the ECU (even if you have program switching) it can be found. The exception would be removing the software at an APR dealer.

And another one. Does this 330hp we were told will be available in the program you will release? I mean, your final program will have that figure or you just made it as aggressive as you could to see if the engine (turbo, high pressure fuel pump, injectors -direct and indirect- etc.) can cope with the stress?

Well, we're testing all of that now. We've had software for quite some time and have been bumping up the power as we go along. Now we're to the point where we're running it pretty wide open and hard, testing it on the autobahn at wide open throttle for lengthy periods of time and getting some track time too. We'll have our car in the desert pretty soon at a whole weekend track event.

Our car is loaded up with sensors and probes to measure EGT's, back pressure and whatever else the engineers feel is necessary to ensure it can take it. We even have extra analog sensors to ensure the information coming out of our high speed data logger is actually correct. We have access to every item within the ECU at high sample rates with many variables logging at once. Here is a photo of the probes, wires, and fire retardant wrap around other sensor leads (the ones sticking out of the top if the exhaust gas pressure sensor):

This data is very important. Ultimately it will help us to dictate where we end up with power. I have a motto for the calibrators, and it's Aggressive but not Risky. No one here wants them to take risks by overspinning or burning up turbos, or numbing knock sensors to get out a few more degrees of ignition advance. We also don't want to be too conservative such that you don't enjoy the software, but we do tend to take less "risks" up front without data to back our decisions to go further.

We'll arrive at a figure, backed up with data, and then we'll release it. After more lengthy long term testing, we'll likely bump up the power over the years and issue free updates. This will also come with more software development too. Sometimes we find way to make more power without being risky and often has nothing to do with being aggressive either. It typically comes with a greater knowledge of the system with more time working on it. This typically happens when we dig deeper into the code while developing our stage 3 kits, which are already up and running and will be on display at for a one of our special clients this weekend.

Will your intake increase the power (with your "bolt-on" algorithm as in the mk6)?

Yup! It's already showing a good gain. I'm not ready to share the results yet though. I'm holding off for now till I have our final calibration as the numbers will change with our requested output. Request more from the turbo (higher airflow requirements), and the gains between stock and our intake will increase.

Any torque figures? If the gen-3 on Jettas and Beatles produce ~42kgm what's the current figure you achieved in the GTI as it has valve-lift, dual cam-phasing, bigger turbo, etc? ~45kgm???

Let me say this, 300 Ft-lbs at the wheels was BEYOND easy and we're blowing those tuning boxes out of the water, big time! : )

Last edited:

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
Impressive testing you guys do there. Makes me feel confident about your products.

Noob question from someone who never had his car tuned: :D

Is it possible to make the software so that it has two maps on it, one which is for ultimate MPG and the other for performance and add an extra option on the car MFD to select between the two settings? Yeah i know it sounds lame, but that is coming from a guy who keeps a close eye on his gas bills and occasionally likes some adrenaline.

Do you have any partial testing results for 2.0TDI? And of course when will you have Carbonio intake available for TDIs? That kit looks uber cool.:cool:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Impressive testing you guys do there. Makes me feel confident about your products.

Noob question from someone who never had his car tuned: :D

Is it possible to make the software so that it has two maps on it, one which is for ultimate MPG and the other for performance and add an extra option on the car MFD to select between the two settings? Yeah i know it sounds lame, but that is coming from a guy who keeps a close eye on his gas bills and occasionally likes some adrenaline.

Yes, but we would switch it either through the cruise control stalk or our iPhone app and upcoming Android app.

Essentially, we can tune the engine for really great cruising MPGs if there's headroom left from the factory while still having all the power when you hit the gas to the floor. However, if you want some sort of detuned eco mode, we could limit power too. That said, IIRC these cars already come equipped with an eco mode that does just that. In the S3 we were tuning in germany, we tried out eco mode and it was totally unenjoyable, miserable, crap. :D It would decouple the clutches and shut off injection mid driving cycle. It was horrible!

Do you have any partial testing results for 2.0TDI? And of course when will you have Carbonio intake available for TDIs? That kit looks uber cool.:cool:

The new intake isn't a carbonio. It's one we've made 100% by our engineering teams. IIRC it will fit the TDI layout but I'd like to test to confirm first.

I don't have the TDI numbers yet.

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, but we would switch it either through the cruise control stalk or our iPhone app and upcoming Android app.

Will this render my cruise control buttons unusable? But the iPhone app sounds like a better option:D

The new intake isn't a carbonio. It's one we've made 100% by our engineering teams. IIRC it will fit the TDI layout but I'd like to test to confirm first.

Can you post a picture of the new intake? :)

Oh. and i forgot to ask about the turbo.What kind of turbo is in a GTD compared to the 2.0TDI? Is the extra HP and torque from a better map or a bigger turbo? Both cars have the same EA288 engine. :confused:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Will this render my cruise control buttons unusable? But the iPhone app sounds like a better option:D

No, it only allows switching while the engine is off with the cruise.

Can you post a picture of the new intake? :)

Oh. and i forgot to ask about the turbo.What kind of turbo is in a GTD compared to the 2.0TDI? Is the extra HP and torque from a better map or a bigger turbo? Both cars have the same EA288 engine. :confused:

I don't know all of that info yet.