GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr just announced on Facebook....

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed

Ohhh..now that is one hell of a beauty!This picture is going to give me sweet dreams tonight.Please tell me that it will fit a TDI. :D

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
I was reading on your DSG software and i donn't understand the following statement:

" In the event torque is limited by the factory clutches, upgraded units may be installed and torque may be increased without TCU intervention."

Is it some sort of mechanical limitation by the clutch design itself?

And while you drive the GTI DSG in "D" mode do you also get that annoying clutch slippage in 3rd gear when depressing the accelerator let's say 30% after an engine break? (it's like you accelerate lightly from a standstill, the DSG goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, you then release the accelerator, let it lose some speed a little and depress again and that is when the annoying clutch slippage occurs in "D" mode). It is so frustrating that it make me think i drive a tin can. And if you still keep the foot on the pedal the TCU is like : "ohh.. i think this guy really wants to go faster...more clutch then". So annoying and so fuel inefficient.

It does not happen all the time, but mostly if you drive the car in the very low revs.TDIs are very comfortable in the 1.2k 1.3k and i'm thinking that the TCU feels otherwise.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I was reading on your DSG software and i donn't understand the following statement:

" In the event torque is limited by the factory clutches, upgraded units may be installed and torque may be increased without TCU intervention."

Is it some sort of mechanical limitation by the clutch design itself?

Yeah, if they start to slip! If you need to throw in bigger ones on some really big turbo application, you can do so. You can then tune to your hearts content, and not worry about the DSG transmission computer getting in the way. We don't charge you extra to raise this limit.

And while you drive the GTI DSG in "D" mode do you also get that annoying clutch slippage in 3rd gear when depressing the accelerator let's say 30% after an engine break? (it's like you accelerate lightly from a standstill, the DSG goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, you then release the accelerator, let it lose some speed a little and depress again and that is when the annoying clutch slippage occurs in "D" mode). It is so frustrating that it make me think i drive a tin can. And if you still keep the foot on the pedal the TCU is like : "ohh.. i think this guy really wants to go faster...more clutch then". So annoying and so fuel inefficient.

Not that I know of. Are you sure it's not downshifting to another gear?

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
Not that I know of. Are you sure it's not downshifting to another gear?

It's always in heavy traffic and i didn't check the MFD;i'm very careful to what happens outside my car during rush hour (safety first :D)

I'll test again this weekend in a big parking lot. Even if it is a down shift it doesn't feel right. The car has enough torque at very low revs that can more than handle the low accelerations that i demand. Maybe my right foot doesn't send the message clearly that i want fully engaged clutch in a high gear at low revs.. Probably i depress the accelerator too much, passed a certain threshold value and and the TCU unit prepares it's self to deliver more power. Probably the engine sees that the turbo is spinning to slow and wants to spool it up to prepare the car in an anticipation of more power.

EDIT: I tested it today in low traffic. You were right Arin.The delay is downshifting and matching engine speed with transmission speed.If you floor it the delay is much smaller.

Last edited:

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Soooooo... Nobody wanna talk about the stage 1 figures?

Image from APRs facebook. If that's stage 1, I'd love to know what stage 2 does.
They said that this was without and supporting mods ie stock intake,exhaust,turbo etc.
Although if you had changed any of those, surely you'd want a slightly different map to maximise those improvements wouldn't you?

Last edited:

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
Soooooo... Nobody wanna talk about the stage 1 figures?

Stock GTI was underrated by VW when advertised. No idea why. So the actual Stage 1 delta is much less and more in line with all the other previous tunes.We'll have to wait for APR to publish the Stock figures before we can make any further assumptions. Although that torque is impressive.

Comments taken from the picture you just posted:

Philippe Gedeon How many horse power before and after stage1? I´m asking, because here in Brazil, stock GTI has 220hp (VW info) but on dynometer we see that in fact the original mk7gti has 260hp. So, I was wondering how much APR got on the original measurement comparing before and after the instalation of stage 1.

APR Europe I'm still doing my stock dyno runs. We've seen that they are under rated as well.

GTI is FWD, so all that power is going to work against you if you want to launch the car. It will only do you good on overtakes and Autobahn wide open throttle.

The R on the other hand is AWD and it will shoot like a rocket.

Last edited:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Arin,
almost 327hp at the crank while only 256 is delivered to the wheels seems weird?! (more than 21% lost) isn't that a lot of drivetrain loss for a FWD car?

syphanx

Passed Driver's Ed
Comments taken from the picture you just posted:

GTI is FWD, so all that power is going to work against you if you want to launch the car.

Will using launch control in the mk7 help this? I'm assuming that the ECU works in conjunction with the car's drivetrain to deliver the most effective power? I'm guessing that the APR software still does this?