GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WRX ..... tree

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
:eek: Holy crap, that car is about half the size as it was originally

That little bridge just screams RAMP!!! I hate seeing stories like these... they always remind me of people i've lost in car carshes, racing or not.

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
What a waste. 23 years cut so short. I sincerely hope the family has been able to cope with the loss. :'(

scuderiavw brings up an important point I'd like to echo; those of us that post our disdain for street antics don't do it just to be dicks.

There is temptation and there is self-control. I, and others like me, try to break stupid shit down to what it is; stupid. The choice not to resist temptation can obviously result in tragedy. The arrogance of some drivers convinces them it won't happen to them. Having a little humility behind the wheel is healthy. Acknowledging that you're not invincible can keep you safe.

Is it clever to say the same thing could happen on a track? No, not really. On track, every safety precaution is being taken. The surfaces have been contructed for speed and are groomed and monitored for safe driving conditions. Off track, the boundaries have been extended and prepared to give cars off track a happy landing. There are people (voluteers!) manning the flag stations to provide advance warning of unsafe conditions. The cars have been carefully constructed, reinforced, and scrutinized for safety (far above any showroom model or vehicle title transfer inspection). The drivers have been trained, tested, and licensed to follow a speed protocol for safe traffic at racing speeds. Every one of them. Look at my sig for what education most drivers hit the public roads with.

I've pointed this out before; even the spectators at a racing exhibition have signed on to the fact that motorsports are risky. None of these protections exist when a foolish driver decides on his/her own that they can handle it or it's safe to ignore the limits. This Subaru driver sadly illustrates exactly what can happen when those decisions go wrong.

I'd say nothing if I didn't care. If I wanted to be a dick, there are far easier topics to poop on.

Instead, I'd rather see more GTI drivers rising above the petty me-first nonsense of the street racing and road raging norm. I'd like to be part of a community of courteous drivers, enthusiastic about their cars, and proud to share stories of how they shaved seconds off their best times and car lengths off 'better' cars ahead. Is that too much to hope for? Is that too much to challenge the community to achieve?

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
so, whats the point of all this power if u are gona endanger urself every time u use it. might as well have a GTI with a 1 litre electric engine.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
maybe.. but its cool to a extent. you can go fast if the roads are empty as he thought.. but obvisly he didnt think that the road would be slanted so that he`d fly into a tree..

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
oh and after seeing this.. man im gonna take it slower.. but if i could, id get the GTI in a instinct.