GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

who is running Brembo 17z calipers on their MK7?

WhiteTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
i'm planning to do the 17z upgrade on my TDI. from my understanding, the 17z should be a direct bolt-on. i already have the proper brake lines.

as for rotors, seems like a Mercedes 5x112 330mm rotor with hubcentric ring adapter is what's needed. my question is what thickness should the rotor be? I've seen 2 suggestions so far, rotors from either an ML350 or a C230K.

who can confirm what is the correct rotor to use with 17z calipers on an MK7. pics would be great as well.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I am running 17z's on my Golf TDI. They bolt up fine. I bought the kit from Rotorlabs. I don't actually know if the calipers were modified to fit. In any case, on my driver side the caliper is not centered over the rotor, it sits a bit inboard. The fix for this would be to take a couple mill of the mounting ears of the caliper (or knuckle I guess). My shop took a couple mil of the pad and it's been fine but that's not the real solution of course. Rotors came with the kit and I'm not sure of their part number or full specs but I think they are 330x30. The rotorlabs page says they are not using C230 rotors though. But you are correct about the centering rings.

The pedal feels fine to me, more progressive than with stock brakes. I don't have anything to compare it to though. Over on TDI club in this thread user adjat84th is running 18z's. His kit was also from Rotorlabs and he didn't have the centering issue that I had.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
anyone know if the stock caymam 981 calipers work? 4pot that fit the base w/ 315mm rotors.

WhiteTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone else have any luck running 17z calipers on an MK7, but NOT using the RotorLab kit? i already have the calipers, brake lines, and pads. just need to know rotors to use.

ginsy

Ready to race!
Does the TDI have iron or aluminum knuckles? I have been toying with upgrading the brakes on my '19 GSW 6MT 4M and keep seeing info for aluminum knuckles only.