GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Is it safe to drive for the few days? Obviously not logging at 100mph+, but just normal day to day errands? I was worried driving back to from the office my windshield was going to spontaneously shatter like tempered glass (which really doesn't make any logical sense), but watched this video and the dude drove with crack across his entire windshield for 8 months. Really, the biggest thing I need it for is this Saturday. It's my sister in laws baby shower, and I was tasked with picking something up (I think a cake?) and dropping it off at the venue along with my daughter. Just don't know if I should be driving the car or leaving it parked. Everything else, I can just take my wife's car.
I'm firmly in the camp of "If you've got access to another vehicle to use, use that."

It's not the "fun" answer, but if something catastrophic were to happen, it's the "safe" option. Particularly if you're going to have a child in the car.

Holy crap I'm old.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm firmly in the camp of "If you've got access to another vehicle to use, use that."

It's not the "fun" answer, but if something catastrophic were to happen, it's the "safe" option.

Holy crap I'm old.

I agree, and will for the majority of the time. I just mean I won't have access to another vehicle on Saturday when I was tasked with picking stuff up.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So. This's all getting taken care of, will be fixed Monday. Here's what I've gathered from browsing around the forums.

Safelite is hit or miss. Some are fine, some are not.

Dealers don't replace the glass themselves, they sub-contract it out to local companies anyway.

Started searching around for an independent shop in RI, not some place that's a national chain like Safelite. Found this place, which from what I can see is the highest reviewed shop around.

View attachment 231825

They asked quite a few more questions than Safelite did. "Do you have a sunroof? Do you have rain sensing wipers? Do you have lane departure? Etc., etc.", so I kind of feel more confident they'll get the right glass in.

$300 cash price.

So, now that is getting taken care of, next question?

Is it safe to drive for the few days? Obviously not logging at 100mph+, but just normal day to day errands? I was worried driving back to from the office my windshield was going to spontaneously shatter like tempered glass (which really doesn't make any logical sense), but watched this video and the dude drove with crack across his entire windshield for 8 months. Really, the biggest thing I need it for is this Saturday. It's my sister in laws baby shower, and I was tasked with picking something up (I think a cake?) and dropping it off at the venue along with my daughter. Just don't know if I should be driving the car or leaving it parked. Everything else, I can just take my wife's car.
Might not be safe since the crack is spreading and getting close to the edge

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So. This's all getting taken care of, will be fixed Monday. Here's what I've gathered from browsing around the forums.

Dealers don't replace the glass themselves, they sub-contract it out to local companies anyway.

Started searching around for an independent shop in RI, not some place that's a national chain like Safelite. Found this place, which from what I can see is the highest reviewed shop around.

View attachment 231825

They asked quite a few more questions than Safelite did. "Do you have a sunroof? Do you have rain sensing wipers? Do you have lane departure? Etc., etc.", so I kind of feel more confident they'll get the right glass in.

$300 cash price.

I've driven many cars with cracks that spread - never had an issue.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

View attachment 231825

$300 cash price.

Do you have any idea what brand of glass they are using? $300 sounds incredibly inexpensive.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sometimes makes sense to work in stages at time haha. If you went stock to hybrid, you’d get bored of that, whereas if you did stage 1, stage 2 and e30 stage 2 maybe, you got to try 3 different stages of fun before getting bored and going hybrid. :)
That's exactly what I did but it's a lot more expensive than way.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Do you have any idea what brand of glass they are using? $300 sounds incredibly inexpensive.

So is a gallon of fuel, or a quart of oil.

I paid $250 for my no frills truck, and a little over $300 for my wife’s S5 PPG windshield.

A windshield has multiple layers, unlike a side window. I personally feel you’re overthinking a crack. Maybe if you had a hole through it from a sledge hammer, but a crack regardless of length isn’t going to just shatter and blow out your windshield Hollywood style.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That's exactly what I did but it's a lot more expensive than way.
I guess depends cause you’d need the downpipe, intercooler, and acessport for stage 1/2 anyways which would be used for hybrid as well, and unless your buying 500$ “e tunes” for each one shouldn’t be that much more at all, like 200$.
Vortex right off the bat getting bored with that, your only option is built motor haha.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I guess depends cause you’d need the downpipe, intercooler, and acessport for stage 1/2 anyways which would be used for hybrid as well, and unless your buying 500$ “e tunes” for each one shouldn’t be that much more at all, like 200$.
Vortex right off the bat getting bored with that, your only option is built motor haha.
And paying labor for all the upgraded turbos and dyno tune. More like $2000 for turbo, install and tune.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

View attachment 231825

$300 cash price.

My issue with safelite was they brought the wrong glass 3 times. First with no rain sensor, then with rain sensor and camera, then no rain sensor. They could not find the part number for the glass with just the rain sensor.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Sold it yesterday. @wasbaggedonce - aim higher. Is there a cooler car you want but is a bit further out of reach? Everyone’s got their own situations, but my gf and I are splitting her car until April and I’m paying off debts with the money from the sale + money saved in the coming months. Then I get my tax return/bonus and get a Touareg.

might also just get a cheap beater in April and drive that for one year and sell it for about what I paid then get the car with a bigger down payment and more cash leftover in my account. Something like that.
I actually really like the Taos. Couple SEs near me that I might go check out..