GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate actuator trouble

ppawlows

EPC light came on and lost power. Drove the car in limp mode dealer and was told that wastegate actuator is stuck. Dealer offered some kind of “actuator massage” at a cost of $500, but with 50% success rate. If it does not work, I will need new turbo at a cost of $3000, (Canadian dollar).

Anyone know what the actuator massage may consist of?
I have seen on eBay aftermarket actuator for IS38, would it work on my IS20?
Can actuator be replaced without removing the turbo? If so, very difficult?

I am quite pissed at the fact that it may cost me $3000 to replace the turbo on a three year old stock GTI with 110k km because vw does not sell actuator alone.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
You can get an actuator for 2-300 dollars....not sure what they are smoking

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i recently got an is20 that the dealer replaced ( under warranty) because it had a faulty WG.
i am sure that if it was diagnosed as a faulty wg and the wg was available separately then vw would not have replaced the complete turbo assembly.
weird

ppawlows

Exactly, my understanding is that there is no part number for WG alone. It is sold as part of the whole turbo assembly. Would WG from IS12 work? I may have better luck finding one of those for cheap.
Also, can WG be replaced with turbo installed?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Exactly, my understanding is that there is no part number for WG alone. It is sold as part of the whole turbo assembly. Would WG from IS12 work? I may have better luck finding one of those for cheap.
Also, can WG be replaced with turbo installed?

Hoon just gave you the link above ^^

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Umm... as others have said, f*ck that dealer, dude. Jesus. What a f'king scam. Makes my blood boil. Actuator massage?? And why TF aren't they just covering it in the first place?

Find someone around you with VCDS and I'm sure we can get you squared away.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
EPC light came on and lost power. Drove the car in limp mode dealer and was told that wastegate actuator is stuck. Dealer offered some kind of “actuator massage” at a cost of $500, but with 50% success rate. If it does not work, I will need new turbo at a cost of $3000, (Canadian dollar).

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Basically the actuator linkage seizes solid...needs dismantling & greasing with 1300C grease...similar to the common problem on the EA211 engines..& I have first hand experience of..

all info in my how to guide here including vcds work...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28690

& I am certain that you could get a much better "massage" for less than $500...:D

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yes, the actuator can be replaced with the turbo in place. The down pipe must be removed (good time to upgrade).

IS20 and IS38 actuators are different, but they both fit and will work fine once the adaptation is performed.

Your dealer probably will not install a used one, and may be reluctant about aftermarket. The Mahle one I posted is a good unit and should work fine. My recommendation is to find a good Indy shop and get away from the dealer ASAP.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Oh they're giving you a massage alright. Anal massage.

[emoji817]

The Mahle one I posted is a good unit and should work fine. My recommendation is to find a good Indy shop and get away from the dealer ASAP.

I’ve been using this one and it’s just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

ppawlows

Thought I update the thread. I went ahead with dealer’s recommendation to perform a wastegate adjustment, but it failed. So faced with turbo replacement, I reached out to VW Canada and they offered to cover 75% of the cost. In the end I got a new turbo installed for $800. Very impressed with VW Canada taking care of their customers.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Thought I update the thread. I went ahead with dealer’s recommendation to perform a wastegate adjustment, but it failed. So faced with turbo replacement, I reached out to VW Canada and they offered to cover 75% of the cost. In the end I got a new turbo installed for $800. Very impressed with VW Canada taking care of their customers.
$800 plus the $500 massage?
At least you have a backup turbo now [emoji106]