GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbocharger question

Adam071406

Passed Driver's Ed
Vehicle: 2017 Golf R Manual
Mods: Stage 3 Clutch, Wavetrack diff, Upgraded brakes, APR Stage 2+ tune, APR downpipe, IE intercooler, APR charge pipes, MST inlet & intake pipe, modded oem intake, turbo muffler delete

Is there a IS38+ turbo or IS38 hybrid turbo that would work better than having my IS38 rebuilt or buying a new OEM IS38? Looking for marginal small increase in turbo spooling and efficiency if possible. Are there aftermarket turbos available that will work with my tune that has a larger inlet diameter as well? Also, would swapping out the OEM exhaust for 3” from the turbo back to the tail pipes help with efficiency? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Is there reputable remote tuners or tuning available for the MK7? Is flex-fuel a thing for the 2017 MK7R?
Yes, flex-fuel is widely available now. DIY via switch patch ("open source"), one of the commercial tuners supporting that patch, Cobb, IE, or other less-accessible tuners (Galano, UM, TVS).

Adam071406

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, flex-fuel is widely available now. DIY via switch patch ("open source"), one of the commercial tuners supporting that patch, Cobb, IE, or other less-accessible tuners (Galano, UM, TVS).

I’m unfamiliar with Cobb or other tuners, but IE emailed me recently that they do not support flex-fuel tuning for the MK7R currently, only the MK8 is supported.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I’m unfamiliar with Cobb or other tuners, but IE emailed me recently that they do not support flex-fuel tuning for the MK7R currently, only the MK8 is supported.
I mean, I wouldn't suggest using IE, but they advertise flex support for the Mk7 R, even the Mk7.5, so that is odd.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Stratified has flex fuel which I'm running on my GT2260S...their test bed was an R, so you can check them out.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Very pleased with my standard vortex. Full spool by 3500.