GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Mapping

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Okay, so I know that with tunes the throttle map can be changed, but with the MK7 is this able to be custom tuned for different settings? While autocrossing, I’ve actively notice three differences in throttle response, and I’m wondering why.

I have the EQT Stage 2, and the burbles tune was added while in race mode. (Not a huge fan, just not worth to pay to have it removed)

So if I start the car in a different mode, then switch to race, that’s when the burbles are active. But the throttle is also very reactive to inputs while on the course.

If I start the car while already in race mode, the burbles are not active, yet the throttle response is noticeable different, almost sluggish.

If I run the car in either of the other two modes, it’s almost as if I get throttle hang, and is way more sluggish, which can really throw me off on course.

So is this just something that can be equalized? It would be great to have a similar response while in race mode, and not have to actively switch back and forth to get that very responsive feel.

Or am I really just having some placebo thoughts?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
If it's like my GTI (DSG), even if I start the car in "sport" mode (we don't have "race"), the drivetrain part by default is in "normal" (shifter shows "D" not "S") even though it's otherwise in sport mode.

I suspect this is a function VW built in for emissions reasons. I'm guessing you have a 6MT? That would explain why you're questioning it with no Drive/Sport on the dash.

I don't know shit about burbles, but there are several throttle maps that can be adjusted per mode.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
If it's like my GTI (DSG), even if I start the car in "sport" mode (we don't have "race"), the drivetrain part by default is in "normal" (shifter shows "D" not "S") even though it's otherwise in sport mode.

I suspect this is a function VW built in for emissions reasons. I'm guessing you have a 6MT? That would explain why you're questioning it with no Drive/Sport on the dash.

I don't know shit about burbles, but there are several throttle maps that can be adjusted per mode.

Yeah, 6MT, with the DCC. I have the three settings for the DCC, comfort, normal, race.

The burbles is dumb, just too cheap to pay to have it removed, and I’m only ever on the race setting for autox.

But I do like how that throttle response is in that setting.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yeah, 6MT, with the DCC. I have the three settings for the DCC, comfort, normal, race.

The burbles is dumb, just too cheap to pay to have it removed, and I’m only ever on the race setting for autox.

But I do like how that throttle response is in that setting.

Yeah unfortunately the throttle mapping and the "impulse combustion" is tied to modes. On the R it's probably made more obnoxious due to the exhaust valves potentially. Might be able to close those and unplug them or something to quiet it somewhat? (Assuming that works, again, not a thing on GTIs)

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
APR Throttle Booster. I have one, and while it does not make moar power, it does "feel" more responsive. Most notable when you have it on 2 (normal) vs MaAaXXXX (5).

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mine does this too. Upon restart the car is in Normal mode even though it still says Race/Eco/Comfort is selected. This means the suspension is in Normal, throttle response is Normal, the exhaust valves are closed, and steering is Normal. Not sure why they couldn't have just made the mode stick through key cycle, but you'll have to reselect your mode every restart to get consistency.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
So I'm 90% sure steering and suspension will match the mode following a key cycle at least on my car (if you are in sport they will stil be in sport at startup). But engine (throttle mapping and pops and bangs) and transmission default to normal after each key cycle. So you have to cycle through the modes back to sport or individual to get those into the commanded mode. It's just the way it is.

Throttle mapping is just a set of tables in the ECU. It would be very easy to make both normal and sport mode have the same throttle map. I assume this is a table that EQT could modify via Cobb, it is certainly a table that can be modified if you tune your car DIY (though that would involve making your own tune from scratch).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can modify your driving mode dataset so that all mode settings are retained through ignition cycles, or set it up however you want.

If I had a Golf R I would likely set everything to retain setting except exhaust valves.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
You can modify your driving mode dataset so that all mode settings are retained through ignition cycles, or set it up however you want.

If I had a Golf R I would likely set everything to retain setting except exhaust valves.

Is this through tuning, or through the infotainment setting? I know you can create a "custom" setting, but never really messed with it as it looks super basic.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is this through tuning, or through the infotainment setting? I know you can create a "custom" setting, but never really messed with it as it looks super basic.
Nothing as convenient as that. The driving mode dataset is stored in the Gateway module. That dataset dictates everything related to driving modes. It can be modified, then written to the gateway (using ODIS).

If you're looking to get into the weeds a little... http://www.mqbtools.nl/fpa/

As an example, my customized driving mode dataset decouples all settings. IIRC the Engine Sound setting on the Golf R controls both the exhaust valves and soundaktor. In my dataset these would be two separate settings that can be controlled independently, with no "Engine Sound" group at all.

• Wow
Reactions: krs