GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on 2021 GLI Autobahn vs 2022 GTI - Input appreciated

fmpro

I’ve had every model year MK7 and two 7.5 GTIs and both an S and (now) my Autobahn MK7 GLI. Take my age into account (67 next week). I love both. The GTI has a bit more of go-cart feel due to its shorter wheelbase. That longer wheelbase is a plus for me. The GTI can haul a surprisingly large amount of ’stuff’. Drivetrains and mpg are near identical. Can’t speak to the MK8 GTI of course.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. If handling is your highest rated feature I’d say wait. Otherwise take the sure thing. Best of luck.
Thank you sir, much appreciated!

fmpro

OP,

do you have a family? the GLI is more practical for 4 people. The GTI is better for a couple. I prefer HB's and no family so for me it was a no brainer. I would also not like the lack of buttons and I have a distrust of VW doing a complicated computer user interface

Mud
Six kids, ages 13 to 23. Only one of my "adult" kids is truly adulting at the moment, so yeah, I could use a back seat for sure. My biggest problem is how tall my sons are. The shortest clocks in at 6'2" and the tallest is 6'5". I'm pretty much screwed no matter what car I buy, lol. That said, this car is for me and not to sound like a jerk, but I'm not terribly concerned with my adult sons backseat comfort. Discomfort may actually work to my advantage as it might encourage my two eldest to move out of my basement 🤣 .

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
Thank God I'm 50 and DGAF what other people think about me. Literally has no impact on my decision making process but thanks anyway.
Lmao I'm 27 and already think that way. I wear bright coloured pants too. I welcome the no shame GTI gang.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
at 6'3" I adjust drivers to me I can sit behind myself. I wouldn't want to spend hours back there but not terrible (GTI)

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Ha. Not my intent but a logical outcome. The only I’d add is that if your family is 4 or fewer IMO the GTI is perfectly suited.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Always skip the first model year. I would go with that GLI or a CPO GTI. FWIW, in the middle of the pandemic I had my paperwork signed and ready to go on a 2019 GTI...ended up leaving the dealer parking lot with a GLI. I just liked it more. I feel like it is a very underappreciated car for the price.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
Six kids, ages 13 to 23. Only one of my "adult" kids is truly adulting at the moment, so yeah, I could use a back seat for sure. My biggest problem is how tall my sons are. The shortest clocks in at 6'2" and the tallest is 6'5". I'm pretty much screwed no matter what car I buy, lol. That said, this car is for me and not to sound like a jerk, but I'm not terribly concerned with my adult sons backseat comfort. Discomfort may actually work to my advantage as it might encourage my two eldest to move out of my basement 🤣 .
Check the Arteon…huge legroom in the rear.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
What's up folks! I'm going to need a new car fairly soon although I could manage to wait until the 2022 GTIs hit the dealerships if need be. That said, the local dealer has a 21 GLI Autobahn, DSG, Black Package plus a few other options....due to arrive at their dealership in a few weeks (no markups). I know the 2022 GTI is going to be top dog performance wise, but from my understanding the GTI S starts in the low 30s. The loaded Autobahn GLI is pretty tempting at 34k. Has anyone actually driven one by chance? Is it as much fun to drive as the 21 GTI? Torn on this one and would appreciate some input. I can hold the car for $500 but it's non-refundable, hence my dilemma.

Thanks!
Wow, not going to reveal what I paid for my GLI Autobahn two years ago. The upside; it’s a great car, way under marketed by VW and there is a Mk7 GTI parked beside it in my garage.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Wow, not going to reveal what I paid for my GLI Autobahn two years ago. The upside; it’s a great car, way under marketed by VW and there is a Mk7 GTI parked beside it in my garage.
The deals we got are not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Those were once in a lifetime. You are very lucky to find a GLI/GTI at sticker right now. They were selling the last bare bone GTI S models for over 30K...

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I have a2019 GTI and a2020 GLI Autobahn. The GLI interior is quite inferior in quality when compared to the GTI. No question. The seat is a sedan seat with no real bolstering…much nice seating and interior in the GTI. The Fender sound system in the GTI is nothing to write home about UNTiL you hear the awful GLI sound system which I think they changed in 2021.

I drive the GTI and my wife the GLI…

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Whatever you get you are going to pay too much for! I saw a used 2021 GTI S DSG, same model as mine except it was white with 13,000 miles on it for sale and the were asking almost $33000 for it! I paid 28,000 and change for mine back in March new and it has 7000 miles on it now.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
$500 non-refundable reservation seems predatory.

I honestly would not count on the 2022 GTI being easy to acquire. If you actually need a car, I would buy the available one.

Otherwise, the mk.8 is going to be cooler in almost every way. Clown face and fog lights obviously not cooler.

Last edited:

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
We were offered a crazy amount for our 2020 GLI Autobahn and almost took it till we found how few new cars were on the lot and that all were going for 3,000 to 5,000 or more above MSRP. I am not going to be “that person” who teen discovers three years from now, when the market has corrected, that their car is worth less than they thought…or am I missing something in this equation? Greg