GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is why we can't have (sort-of) nice things 2.0

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
My girlfriend bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback two weeks ago. She drives extensively for her job and needed something cheap that got good mileage to make the expense checks that much sweeter and it fit the bill, she was pretty happy about it.

I got home from work around 1 AM, poured myself a drink and stepped outside for a smoke. I watched a late model F150 veer off the road, smash into her car, almost flipping over. It sounded like a gun went off. His airbags had deployed. He pulled over and I ran up, snapping pictures and getting his plate in case he decided to run.

I heard him say he was sorry, he fell asleep. "I have full insurance, can you take my info and I'll go." Nope, this is going to require a police report. He was nice though, very apologetic. I called the police and and they showed up a couple of minutes later. I heard him tell them he looked down at his phone for a second.

She was parked in the space behind her in this picture.

Not too bad...

Never mind, it's fucked.

Prick.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I had a couple freak moments when I was younger driving tired where I fell asleep momentarily and woke up in another lane. Taught me a lesson but it does happen, unfortunately.
Driving tired is worse than drunk or high.
With all due respect though, it is an expendable material piece and can be replaced. Luckily no one was injured.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Upside: It wasn't your GTI ! Having said that, it's always a pita dealing with insurance companies, but at least your GF doesn't have to pay. Guessing off-street parking isn't an option there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the driver wanted to take off he had something to hide. Was he field tested for DUI? Was his vehicle searched? Was he given a ticket for careless driving? I hope the guy really had valid property damage insurance. Don't forget she should get a rental car at his expense until they settle the claim, and make sure she gets full retail for the car even if she paid less than that. I'm glad she wasn't in or near her car at the time.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
We have one off street spot which is where I parked the GTI. If she had taken it this would be a different thread entirely, asking y'all for bail money after I murdered the guy.

I let the police handle the other guy, I don't believe he was field tested as he told the police he was looking at his phone. "Fell asleep" was an initial excuse but not the real reason.

The car will be assessed tomorrow and we'll find out if it's totaled or not. Rental is taken care of.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Would have gladly donated to your bail fund. Word to us all: Plead Insanity if such a horrible event occurred. You never know, the Judge might be a GTI guy!

EXEA189

Ready to race!
We have one off street spot which is where I parked the GTI. If she had taken it this would be a different thread entirely, asking y'all for bail money after I murdered the guy.

I let the police handle the other guy, I don't believe he was field tested as he told the police he was looking at his phone. "Fell asleep" was an initial excuse but not the real reason.

The car will be assessed tomorrow and we'll find out if it's totaled or not. Rental is taken care of.

Do you have Distracted Driving Laws in RI? (I bet they do in Massachusetts! LOL)
Seriously though, Colorado criminalized distracted driving in, I think, 2009. Electronic devices are commonly seized as evidence. If he said he had fallen asleep, his mobile device would have been checked for evidence of distracting activity while driving.