GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I encountered an anti-masker at the self checkout of a local grocery store. He was obnoxiously blabbering about "sheeple" and "wake up and take off the mask". Make your own decisions and all, but why the need to broadcast to everyone in the vicinity?

I knew they existed, but wow :ROFLMAO:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I encountered an anti-masker at the self checkout of a local grocery store. He was obnoxiously blabbering about "sheeple" and "wake up and take off the mask". Make your own decisions and all, but why the need to broadcast to everyone in the vicinity?

I knew they existed, but wow :ROFLMAO:

...what’s the point of making a statement if nobody cares about you?
1595265271032.jpeg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It was a blood bath at the hospital I work at last week. They laid off 23 people, we only have 2000 employees, and they were all administration staff. Our CIO, COO, Director of Marketing, etc....crazy. They're making the employees one level down step up into the roles without pay increase or leave. It's getting ugly.

We also had to open 2 units for covid and stand up a makeshift ICU. Florida is F'ed. The deaths are going to accelerate once the ICU and hospital beds are gone. Hold on to your hats, we're just getting started.

My wife's hospital is close to the same shape, but it's DoD funded, so no lay offs there.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It was a blood bath at the hospital I work at last week. They laid off 23 people, we only have 2000 employees, and they were all administration staff. Our CIO, COO, Director of Marketing, etc....crazy. They're making the employees one level down step up into the roles without pay increase or leave. It's getting ugly.

The exact opposite is happening to me. My boss is being demoted to my position and I'm being demoted one position. Both of our pay will reflect this demotion....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
We got a WARN this week for 23,885 of 100,000+ employees

If anyones thinking about flying somewhere please do. The airline industry has been effected worse by this than 9-11 and there’s currently no light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately for me, being a union aircraft mechanic, all cuts will be seniority based so it makes zero difference how useful you are or aren’t as an employee. The 67-78 year old dudes who just don’t like their wives will stay while guys in their 20-30s like me will go to the street. I’ve got 9 years with the company btw, which is a lot considering I’m 29 years old.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
We got a WARN this week for 23,885 of 100,000+ employees

If anyones thinking about flying somewhere please do. The airline industry has been effected worse by this than 9-11 and there’s currently no light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately for me, being a union aircraft mechanic, all cuts will be seniority based so it makes zero difference how useful you are or aren’t as an employee. The 67-78 year old dudes who just don’t like their wives will stay while guys in their 20-30s like me will go to the street. I’ve got 9 years with the company btw, which is a lot considering I’m 29 years old.
I worked for a government run airline for years, I feel your pain. Unions (or works councils) screw up all sorts of logical solutions. I think you also have to be mad at the other US carriers like American that chose to not enforce social distancing and sold center seats. I'm sorry, but dumb moves like that keep me from flying at all. I'd rather drive if I had to get somewhere right now if the airlines can't act like they care about their pax.

Reminds me of the advent of lay back seating on international flights. I was on one of the first and had to spend twelve hours negotiating my lean angle compared to the large, snoring European woman six inches to my left. Thankfully, by the return flight, they'd managed to stick up partitions when both seats were fully reclined. Way too intimate.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I can't say laying off hospital employees makes sense in the middle of a pandemic. Usually seems like unnecessary layoffs result in a pay raise for the CEOs. Hopefully it's not because of greed...but it normally is.

I'm not sure what our boat dealership is going to look like long term. Right now we're actually in a pretty good position, but as stock has dwindled into nothing I wonder if it'll hurt us long term. We typically have 45-50 boats in stock, but with nobody traveling, cruise ships cancelled, and theme parks closed, the only thing you can really do to get away from it all is go boating. Our stock that we'd normally be selling for the rest of the year is completely gone. 2021 models started arriving 2-3 weeks ago and we already only have about 5 2020s left. All of the 2021s coming in are sold until Oct-Nov.

A lot of my job revolves around the inventory, so with no inventory I've pretty much just been coming to work and spending my day on the internet. It's boring af, but I guess I can't complain. We all figured business would be dead and we'd be desperate to make some sales, instead the opposite happened.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, my kid's outgrown his 16" bike, but good like finding a 20" kid's bike during a pandemic. Everyone is out riding bikes, enough that I'm seeing more and more people riding with masks on, even in 100 degree heat.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, my kid's outgrown his 16" bike, but good like finding a 20" kid's bike during a pandemic. Everyone is out riding bikes, enough that I'm seeing more and more people riding with masks on, even in 100 degree heat.

My kid was in the same situation. I scored a 20" girls bike at Dicks Sporting Goods randomly shopping at night. I was shocked when I got the pickup confirmation that it would be ready the next day.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't say laying off hospital employees makes sense in the middle of a pandemic. Usually seems like unnecessary layoffs result in a pay raise for the CEOs. Hopefully it's not because of greed...but it normally is.

I'm not sure what our boat dealership is going to look like long term. Right now we're actually in a pretty good position, but as stock has dwindled into nothing I wonder if it'll hurt us long term. We typically have 45-50 boats in stock, but with nobody traveling, cruise ships cancelled, and theme parks closed, the only thing you can really do to get away from it all is go boating. Our stock that we'd normally be selling for the rest of the year is completely gone. 2021 models started arriving 2-3 weeks ago and we already only have about 5 2020s left. All of the 2021s coming in are sold until Oct-Nov.

A lot of my job revolves around the inventory, so with no inventory I've pretty much just been coming to work and spending my day on the internet. It's boring af, but I guess I can't complain. We all figured business would be dead and we'd be desperate to make some sales, instead the opposite happened.

Hospital employees are getting laid off because elective surgeries are postponed in some hospitals to make room for Covid patients. No income from elective surgeries.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
My kid was in the same situation. I scored a 20" girls bike at Dicks Sporting Goods randomly shopping at night. I was shocked when I got the pickup confirmation that it would be ready the next day.
Nice, kids do stupid things on bikes so why have a ballbuster bar on dudes bikes. I still remember the day I thought it was a good trick idea to try and jump standing on the pedals kicking them back a rotation. 😭