GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Striking Oil: Mishimoto’s VW GTI MK7 Oil Catch Can Development

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep, an inline system is all I'd ever consider. The problem as VAG said, is it's pretty good at its job. My car I just pulled off the turbo pipe as well and had a little bit, but I sort of expected it not to be perfect, but it wasn't excessive either. Which brings us to the point in if they're needed. I'm all for one of the price is right.

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
Not to hijack the thread, but when I lent my 2015 GTI for intake development, I told Patrick you guys should develop an axle back exhaust system. A muffler delete like a Nameless setup or something. I feel they would sell very well.

Willywonka

Ready to race!
I appreciate the input! We want for you to be able to retain use of the engine cover, which makes the routing important, plus the space in which we plan to anchor the can is optimal due to how much room is available. What are your thoughts on how you'd rather it look? Anyone else, feel free to chime in!

You could make the can a little higher and have straight fitting out the back. Or have the fittings out the side with 90's. Make sure the hoses dress in every well. Straight back to the firewall and somehow attach to the firewall. Keep it from over the turbo and downpipe. I like to see that turbo and stuff. Nice connection to the factory system. I love how Ecs made very nice adaptor for their catch can.

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
In-line. All the replacement pcv systems have excessive buildup due to replacing a well designed system.

We generally see little to no accumulation in in-line setups, and large amounts of accumulation in replacement setups. (because now the gases aren't being recycled back into the engine as with the stock system).

Yep, an inline system is all I'd ever consider. The problem as VAG said, is it's pretty good at its job. My car I just pulled off the turbo pipe as well and had a little bit, but I sort of expected it not to be perfect, but it wasn't excessive either. Which brings us to the point in if they're needed. I'm all for one of the price is right.

You could make the can a little higher and have straight fitting out the back. Or have the fittings out the side with 90's. Make sure the hoses dress in every well. Straight back to the firewall and somehow attach to the firewall. Keep it from over the turbo and downpipe. I like to see that turbo and stuff. Nice connection to the factory system. I love how Ecs made very nice adaptor for their catch can.

Thanks for your input guys, it will all be taken into consideration. With that in mind, we should be going over test results and solidifying our design plans in the next update. More to come!

I stand by "Catch cans for todays engines are made for profit" saying. Back in the day catch cans did work, today I am not so sure if they provide any benefit. Yes this is my opinion. I might be 100% wrong.

I appreciate your thoughts! They are certainly more of a preventative measure than anything - a maintenance option. We have definitely caught a decent amount of oil blowby in our other direct fit applications. Check out some of our images below:

2015 Ford Mustang GT (about 1000 miles of testing)

2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo (about 500 miles of testing)

2015 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 3.5L (about 1500 miles of testing)

Now I know that these are very different applications and it wouldn't be fair to use these as a base for our expected results from our MK7 application, I just wanted to show you that these catch can kits do serve a function, especially in today's modern direct injected motors. Time will tell what our kit can do for this GTI, we are still doing road testing, so we should have an update sometime after the New Years holiday. Hope this helps!

Not to hijack the thread, but when I lent my 2015 GTI for intake development, I told Patrick you guys should develop an axle back exhaust system. A muffler delete like a Nameless setup or something. I feel they would sell very well.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion. An exhaust would definitely be an interesting product for us to make for this car, and although we did a bit of research, we have not made any concrete plans to put the R&D for that into motion yet. But if there is enough interest, it's something we can look more into!

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
There has been a few threads about an axle back for the mk7 on here. Remus makes one but it's outrageous in price. I feel a well price (less than $300) American made axleback would generate more interest than a catch can setup.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
What sort of baffling system are you guys using?

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
There has been a few threads about an axle back for the mk7 on here. Remus makes one but it's outrageous in price. I feel a well price (less than $300) American made axleback would generate more interest than a catch can setup.

Dully noted! That's good to know, so I will re-forward this suggestion to upper management!

What sort of baffling system are you guys using?

Great question! For this catch can, we use a perforated metal plate that fits inside the can attached to the top half. This prevents the sloshing of oil back into your intake. It also features an air diverter and a 50 micron bronze filter. The below image is the top portion of the can flipped upside down, this should give you a clear picture of what the interior of the can looks like.

Not all of our catch cans look like this as we have different sizes and interior designs. Check them out on our catch can product page!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Well I have to say it's better than VWRs empty catch can lol. +1 for that! I like the brass filter as well since it's easily cleanable versus steel wool which you can easily replace, but it's disposable

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Well I have to say it's better than VWRs empty catch can lol. +1 for that! I like the brass filter as well since it's easily cleanable versus steel wool which you can easily replace, but it's disposable

Apologies for the holiday delay - +1 for the kind words! :D

I hope everyone safely brought in the New Year and had an awesome holiday.

rcnacura

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the spulen catch can and it actually was dumping oil back into my engine at an alarming rate, I have no reason why or if it was just a product defect. But it looks like you will be using just the hole in the pcv going into the catch can, correct, and not a full on baffle plate? Also how large of a can will you use? I had to empty my previous out every two weeks or so with a h amount of city driving, so a larger can would be great (however mine might of just been defective).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I had the spulen catch can and it actually was dumping oil back into my engine at an alarming rate, I have no reason why or if it was just a product defect. But it looks like you will be using just the hole in the pcv going into the catch can, correct, and not a full on baffle plate? Also how large of a can will you use? I had to empty my previous out every two weeks or so with a h amount of city driving, so a larger can would be great (however mine might of just been defective).

Everything from spulen is made in the sewers of China.

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!

All of our catch cans come with internal baffling to prevent that exact issue, so you won't have to concern yourself with your engine sucking back up what the can is supposed to catch. For this project (and for a majority of our direct-fit catch can applications), we will use our 2 fl oz capacity, billet 6061 aluminum, two port catch can.

We are still putting miles on the car, so we will be able to gauge a rough estimate of how much content we collect and how often the can should be serviced. There are some applications, trucks usually, that put out the amount of blowby that would require the cans to be emptied that often, but for this particular application, it's doubtful these cans will require that much attention!

Mishimoto1

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

During the progress of our R&D for this project, we reached a difficult impasse. While we have been testing, and testing our setup, it has been challenging to gather the required content that would justify our continuing with the project. We have tried several configurations, including rigging up both an in-line and adapted line setup, but we just aren't getting the desired results. After over a 1000 miles of testing, our can was basically bone dry, with only the smell of oil and fuel vapor present. The last thing we want to do is create a product for you that doesn't provide any benefit. The MK7 has a very efficient system on its own, and we tip our hats off to Volkswagen for their design.

Every product we put on the market goes through extensive market research. If we find a proposed project is a viable option and can do well in the market for both us and the end user, we will absolutely go for it with as much innovation as possible. If, during the R&D process, we hit a roadblock that impedes our ability to bring great quality or superior functionality to our customers at a reasonable cost, we won’t hesitate to pull the plug. We’d rather take our time to evaluate what went wrong and where, instead of cutting corners that will end with a questionable product floating in the market. That is not what we are about at Mishimoto.

With that being said, it's time for us to put this project on hold until we can find a viable solution. I'd personally like to thank everyone who provided input and suggestions. We took what you guys said to heart and we definitely put a lot of effort into making this work, but for now, we need to stop the project. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks again everyone!

-Diamaan

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
This is honestly the best thing we could hope for. It's great to hear the stock system is adequate and verified by a manufacturer actually trying to design an improved version.

Thanks for the honesty versus selling snake oil!

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
This is honestly the best thing we could hope for. It's great to hear the stock system is adequate and verified by a manufacturer actually trying to design an improved version.

Thanks for the honesty versus selling snake oil!

+2 on this! I really appreciate the honestly!