GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sell me a MacBook

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
You can't say whether or not you like windows or mac better unless you've had both

I have had both, hated mac for the longest time. Was long long long time pc user

Now, well..

I love my macs and would never ever go back to a pc.

as far as applecare goes, GET IT. I bought my first macbook pro 3 years ago. And it broke down on me 2 1/2 years later, not common but Apple decided to replace it with a brand new 15" current model unibody macbook pro. So am i happy? Yes. Windows sucks, and i will never buy another POS windows based computer again.

You can't beat the os, the cutting edge technology and the service you get with it.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
ive had my macbook pro for like a week or so now and i never buy warranty's on computers because i can easily fix them unless i crack the screen.

sucks though cuz i bought the mac at work (bestbuy) and the cheapest plan was like $250 on a computer that only cost me $400 lol..

i have friends at apple that told me they could have gotten me a little off the apple care plan but id have to buy it from apple. but like i said, for buying a brand new macbook pro for $400 im not gonna complain

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
So it is the year 2000 all over again at the nhbubba household.

Just sparked up my Dell Inspiron 5000e. Rockin' a blazing fast 800MHz Pentium3 processor, 384 MB of RAM, and Windows 2000. The screen kinda works, but you have to press in a strategic place on the edge of the screen to get it to stay on. I am actually rather surprised it booted at all!

For some reason I can't get the PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet adapter to link up.

As if to remind me how long it has been since I used this thing, it has a massive Ford logo as the desktop wallpaper. This is dating back to when my pickup was my only vehicle.

Laugh, but the thing has a 15" screen that runs at 1600x1200 natvie. The screen looks damned good too. And the keyboard is fantastic! I wish they still made Inspirons them like this.

Wonder if I can get XP onto it? Wonder if VAG-COM will run on it?

Anyone dare me to run the Win7 compatibility checker on it?

utekineir

Banned
i'm almost positive you can get xp on it, problem with it as a vag com box would be the battery is probably shot and you'll have to keep it plugged in in the car, then again you fancy jetta wagons have a 110v outlet don't you?

wireless network is pretty handy to have while using vag com though so you can search the internet to find out what the hell you're doing

media wise, i've found that itunes works, when i used to use windows and had ipods, and prefered media player i constantly had issues with format compatability, and each program (itunes and media player) retagging songs and changing the library under the nose of the other one. going to one program, one format for music, and one format for videos solved all that, songbird was an os x specific open source media player being developed with a ton of support a couple years ago, not sure what state its at now.

unfortunately its itunes, the upside to itunes is the seamless integration with other items, itunes feeds the apple tv on my projector with hundreds of movies (handbrake encoded) my music library, and whatever other crap it can do, plus it sends music over to the airport express hooked up to an old stereo near the pool table, and it shares its library to my laptop when i take it out to the garage.

Also my phone can be used to control any one of the 3, also either the laptop or desktop can be set to play itunes over the pool table speakers with little more than a click.

Itunes itself, meh, it does the job, but the integration built into it is the real gem.

also, tax programs run on os x fine, but i have no experience with financial software, i just use tax cut, neat recipts (awesome receipt scanner/software combo), and excel. and thats doing the books on 5 apartment buildings in terms of rents, repairs, supplies, bills, etc etc. the neat recipts program could use a little better folder structuring, but i don't think it was intended for my sort of use specifically.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Something to keep in mind beyond just the hardware specs is both the build quality in terms of fit and finish and the steps taken to ensure a very quiet machine. Something of high importance to me.

utekineir

Banned
...the first company to make mac reps was called Psystar and is located in FL, USA look it up didn't end up to well for them :thumbup:

you just had to go and be all serious to my attention grab didn't you.
90s white box apple clones, hackintosh, psystar, i out geek you mr. faux asian
take off the serious pants sir

GTIxpinay

dirty pirate hooker
ive had my macbook pro for like a week or so now and i never buy warranty's on computers because i can easily fix them unless i crack the screen.

sucks though cuz i bought the mac at work (bestbuy) and the cheapest plan was like $250 on a computer that only cost me $400 lol..

i have friends at apple that told me they could have gotten me a little off the apple care plan but id have to buy it from apple. but like i said, for buying a brand new macbook pro for $400 im not gonna complain

education discount is the best deal for the applecare it goes from 249-->183. definitely worth getting, cause parts arent cheap

GTIxpinay

dirty pirate hooker
dont bother with quicken...there is something called ibank which i have heard a lot of good things about and it can import data from ms money. if you google it you can actually get a 30 day free trial or something like that. Apple care is definitely worth it apple parts are expensive and its a piece of electronics you never know whats going to happen.

i've heard good things about ibank too, but it also looks like its worth waiting for the new quicken in february

i have no personal experience with financial software, this is just what i hear from several people and my business guy that i work with

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
education discount is the best deal for the applecare it goes from 249-->183. definitely worth getting, cause parts arent cheap

yea but i need to buy the computer from apple right?? i cant just buy applecare right now??

GroggySeven

Passed Driver's Ed
As a lifelong PC user and recent (1yr ago) mac purchaser, I can say I <3 my mac. I'm one of the 2 in my class that use a mac in a sea of failing Dells :)

And yes, I do have two PCs still, a Dell and a Sony, but they get used very rarely. Usually just to watch videotaped lectures so I am free to just take notes on my mac.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
For some reason I thought you could buy Apple Care after the fact. But what do I know....

i'm almost positive you can get xp on it, problem with it as a vag com box would be the battery is probably shot and you'll have to keep it plugged in in the car, then again you fancy jetta wagons have a 110v outlet don't you?
So I was more-or-less just yacking about my antique laptop and how wild it is.

Believe it or not, the damned thing is actually rather snappy for light-duty jobs. Win2k really was a fine OS. It is a shame you can't connect anything to it anymore.

The battery is in fact toast. I was gonna do a longevity test to see how long it would last on battery power. I unplugged the cord and it instantly went dead! The battery indicator is not showing it as keeping ANY charge.

The JSW does have a 110V converter. Unfortunately it is a 2-prong w/o ground. I'll need to locate an adapter. ... Although this will work in the garage for the short-term as I have power out there.

NICs seem to work now too. I had forgotten that I had some pretty heavy duty firewalls installed on this thing. Needed to setup a policy for the network as it has never seen this one.

Something to keep in mind beyond just the hardware specs is both the build quality in terms of fit and finish and the steps taken to ensure a very quiet machine. Something of high importance to me.
I agree. This is a big part of the appeal of the Apple products. I have always felt that Apple charges a premium for its stuff. It used to be that I felt that premium was at least 2x. But since the switch to Intel, they're prices have come down. .. That and their entry level stuff has risen in power and quality. At this point the price difference is more like 15-20%.

And then you get a license for their OS as well.

...the first company to make mac reps was called Psystar and is located in FL, USA look it up didn't end up to well for them :thumbup:
Bah! I had a roommate in college that had a Power Computing machine.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
It can be purchased at any time up to a year from the original purchase date. I usually wait until a month or two before the year is up before I buy it. There are numerous trust worthy ebay sellers that you can use to save 30-50% on applecare. I have used a few over the years with success. I've even added it to macs I bought used on ebay, as long as they are within that year and not stolen you are good, you can even check eligibility on apple's site with the serial number.

yea but i need to buy the computer from apple right?? i cant just buy applecare right now??