GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
We are going to need more info to be able to help you. What is your vehicle? What clockspring are you using? Can we see the connectors you are referring to? Link to the kit you bought might help as well.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Like @mannymoda said, confirm here what year/model car you're on, what clockspring you have currently and what new one is, as well as a link to the kit you're using, so that people here can provide more accurate assistance.

In the absence of that, though...
My guess looking from the photos is that the "harness" you bought is really just two wires - the heavier ones that carry power for heating.

In which case, you'll need a 14-pin connector to fit into the clockspring, then transfer the wires that go into your existing connector to that one (somewhere here there's a "this wire in old 16-pin connector goes to this position in 14-pin connector" diagram), then the two big power wires go where the big pins are.

smotz

I have a 2017 Tiguan and bought a new steering wheel with heating option.
Bought a clockspring 5Q0953569B
And bought this cable but there are 2 harnessen do I also use the Harness with the 2 wires?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ev7sSH3

IMG-20220820-WA0001.jpg

Attachments

• 20221007_114129.jpg
    20221007_114129.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20221116-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0023.jpeg
    940 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-20221116-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0008.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG-20221116-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0010.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG-20221116-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0012.jpeg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG-20221116-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0004.jpeg
    960.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-20221114-WA0026.jpeg
    IMG-20221114-WA0026.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
I have a 2017 Tiguan and bought a new steering wheel with heating option.
Bought a clockspring 5Q0953569B
And bought this cable but there are 2 harnessen do I also use the Harness with the 2 wires?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ev7sSH3

View attachment 265749
That adapter harness should be all you need. Plug the original car connector into it and the other end into your new clockspring. The two loose wires are the +12V that goes to the fuse box and the ground cable. I cannot imagine what the additional harness is for.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I'm thinking you don't need that additional harness. There are some VAG vehicles that have the heated steering wheel button on the center console... On our golf these are the buttons around the shifter but some cars have a panel of buttons somewhere else in the center console area. Of course we don't have our heated steering wheel button down there.

My guess is these two wires would go from that button to the BCM. Not applicable for our Golf and the Tiguan is very similar so likely not applicable for you either.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Yeah, I'm thinking you don't need that additional harness. There are some VAG vehicles that have the heated steering wheel button on the center console... On our golf these are the buttons around the shifter but some cars have a panel of buttons somewhere else in the center console area. Of course we don't have our heated steering wheel button down there.

My guess is these two wires would go from that button to the BCM. Not applicable for our Golf and the Tiguan is very similar so likely not applicable for you either.
Should only need two wires, power and a ground. Nothing to the bcm. The climate control panel with the heated steering wheel option does its work by can

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Should only need two wires, power and a ground. Nothing to the bcm. The climate control panel with the heated steering wheel option does its work by can
I know, haha. I was talking about cars with a heated steering wheel button in the center console (not our Golfs, or Tiguans to my knowledge).
In progress edit: found a picture for the Passat B8 console buttons, with steering wheel heat.

The aliexpress link posted by @smotz is listed for Tiguan II, Passat B8 and Touran II.
So those additional wires included, on the Passat, would go to the BCM.
1668629895148.png

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ahhhhhh.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ummm ahhhhh.......

Of course. 🙄

smotz

I know, haha. I was talking about cars with a heated steering wheel button in the center console (not our Golfs, or Tiguans to my knowledge).
In progress edit: found a picture for the Passat B8 console buttons, with steering wheel heat.

The aliexpress link posted by @smotz is listed for Tiguan II, Passat B8 and Touran II.
So those additional wires included, on the Passat, would go to the BCM.
View attachment 265762
So i dont need to install the extra wires to the BCM?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So i dont need to install the extra wires to the BCM?
You only need the BCM wiring if you have a button like my picture. I don't know what you have in the tiguan.

If you have the button on the air condition panel then no need for wiring to the BCM.