GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

VeloDub1

Passed Driver's Ed
TT pads are the rear upper spring #8j0-512-149 available at Dealer or cheaper from ECS tuning.
I did do myself and was about my 6th spring install aswell, you shouldn't have issue based on skill. The rear is easy but the front is just time consuming and can be frustrating until you figure out the technique to getting the bottom of the strut out of the knuckle. There are a few diy Instructions in the VWR spring threads. I used the 2x4 method for the front, to clear the dcc module I had to knotch a 2x4. I think im going to make a DCC strut DIY thread with more pics but here is some tips:
Tips:
For DCC:
- Use a notched 2x4 and frt pinch bolt installed at sway link hole, use a rubber tie down for support, LF:2x4 will be on rt side of strut and notched around DCC module, RF: 2x4 will be on left side of strut and not against DCC Module
- You have 3 level sensors(all but rt rear), for the front: Remove the entire sensor and arm (its close to 2x4 and you would risk breaking and need the room), Rear: just unclip arm from ball stud
All:
- Strut spreader trick: Install spreader at top of knuckle 1st, shake and push on top of brake rotor, knuckle should drop an inch, now install spreader at bottom middle of knuckle, shake and push on rotor again until it drops another 1/2 to 1". Now use 2x4 method to pull additional 1/2" out. If you dont get it to drop this 1st 1" to 1 1/2" before 2x4 method you may just raise the entire arm and get frustrated like I did until I figured out where to shake to releive tension to get the knuckle to drop.

Nice, thanks for the pics and the instructions ;-) very creative with the 2x4's

KF55

Hi folks - I've been following this/the other threads and I'm really interested in the DG springs. Even with reading all the great info here, I'm still a bit confused between the variations of DG springs vs. the different versions of our cars.

So...I have a '16 GTI 4-door Autobahn 6MT (PP/LP) - can someone help confirm for me that the "E" version is correct for my car? If it helps, the weight ratings for my car are 2249 lbs. Front / 2094 lbs. Rear, or 1020 kg. Front / 950 kg. Rear.

Thanks in advance.

To my understanding you're fine with them. ;)

Page 1 says:

5G4 071 677 E
HA axle load, max. [Kg]: 950 (ONLY FOR MARKET NAR)
VA axle load, max. [Kg]: 1050
Capacity / Performance: ≥ 90 KW (MORE HAND-HA)
DCC OK

Page 2 suggests it'll probably look like this:

From http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11235&page=4 :

marcg611

Ready to race!
Hi folks - I've been following this/the other threads and I'm really interested in the DG springs. Even with reading all the great info here, I'm still a bit confused between the variations of DG springs vs. the different versions of our cars.

So...I have a '16 GTI 4-door Autobahn 6MT (PP/LP) - can someone help confirm for me that the "E" version is correct for my car? If it helps, the weight ratings for my car are 2249 lbs. Front / 2094 lbs. Rear, or 1020 kg. Front / 950 kg. Rear.

Thanks in advance.
Your fine with the "NA spec" "E" springs as with PP your getting close to 4dr Dsg(no PP) weight. If you want to insure it sits level or have hitch or subs or some other rear weight, definitely install TT isolator pads.

figgy1

Ready to race!
So after months of trying to get a proper drop on my 1.6 TDi I finally managed it using VWR springs last week. I had a nightmare with a VW dealership and DG springs as you may have seen from my previous posts. Instead I went with VWR springs and have now achieved the perfect drop at last. This is not a dig on anybody fitting DG springs to their cars but a reminder to make sure you are getting the correct springs in the first place when purchasing.
In my case the VW Dealership made the mistake.2 top pics have DG springs and last pic has the VWR springs fitted. Way lower both back and front now. Ride quality isnt as nice as DG springs but on saying that it is still nice!

Attachments

• F483DABB-8A9F-4265-A8A1-EAC76C6B6A81.JPG
    F483DABB-8A9F-4265-A8A1-EAC76C6B6A81.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 4,405

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
b95 - your setup looks quite good, probably becuase you're dsg so the front is dropping a bit more. Any regrets at all? I really think this is a better option for me than VWR springs as it cleans up some of the slop without being too low for winter and other crap.

How many finger gap in the front? can you do a close up of the front fender gap? Or actually... do a front bumper to ground measurement.

Thanks!

I would suggest to measure fender to wheel center, which is
the most precise, since tires have no influence that way. It
should measure about 350 mm. Stock is about 365 to 370 mm.

B95zP

Ready to race!
b95 - your setup looks quite good, probably becuase you're dsg so the front is dropping a bit more. Any regrets at all? I really think this is a better option for me than VWR springs as it cleans up some of the slop without being too low for winter and other crap.

How many finger gap in the front? can you do a close up of the front fender gap? Or actually... do a front bumper to ground measurement.

Thanks!

Highly technical gap measuring minifig device.

As for regrets, none atm, but things change over time. However I did a lot of front end work at the same time; lower control ams, deadset kit, and a front sway. So I cannot really speak to how much the springs alone impacted the ride. I debated BC coilovers and VWR springs, but settled on DG as it was more affordable(so I could do the other mods) and mild compared to VWR(so the ride would not be overly hard on the kidneys when combined with said other mods).

Last edited:
5G4 071 677 E

GTI w/ Performance package - manual - 4-d - one week after install - 345 mm fender to wheel center.