GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Monitor HMI "Missing" from New 2021 GTI

jim1395

Car(s)
2021 GTI
Has anyone been informed of when the performance monitor update will be available for 2021 MIB III systems?

DaveMI

Car(s)
2021 GTI
Has anyone been informed of when the performance monitor update will be available for 2021 MIB III systems?
I got this from VW customer service in mid-April:

“Hope you are doing well. I wanted to reach out to give you an update on the GTI performance monitors. The update for your GTI is not available just yet but will be very soon. Volkswagen targets to have it available by the end of May.
Once I know for sure you are able to update your GTI I will reach out again. I hope it will be very soon.”

Cross your fingers !

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Well, the "end of May" has passed by without availability of the HMI Performance Monitor on our '21s. :-(

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Bet they are just biding time until they are outside any statute of limitations for false advertising. i advise all with a 2021 to start a class action. I was pissed owning mine for 6 months with no updates. Traded it in for other reasons on a 2019 Golf R.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Does the Mk8 have a performance monitor? Curious why MIB3 in the 21's is causing such issue with this.
I believe it does. I know the humble mechanic posted he was trying to max out the g-force meter the other day. So, not sure why to be honest. Probably all focus is on the Mk8 now and they are letting the Mk7 down.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I believe it does. I know the humble mechanic posted he was trying to max out the g-force meter the other day. So, not sure why to be honest. Probably all focus is on the Mk8 now and they are letting the Mk7 down.
Well, one model year of the Mk7. I assume 2021 owners could retrofit an MIB2.5? You'd lose wireless Carplay/Android, but seems like it's pretty glitchy anyway.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Well, one model year of the Mk7. I assume 2021 owners could retrofit an MIB2.5? You'd lose wireless Carplay/Android, but seems like it's pretty glitchy anyway.
Not positive. For those with no fender maybe. The fender amp in the mib3 does not use most though. Some speculate can-fd like the mk8

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I normally look through entire threads but not today... Performance Monitor is a SWAP (software as a product)/FEC (feature enablement code) feature. It would not get "enabled" with an MIB software update. The SWAP code has to be generated for your VIN. In the US there is not, to my knowledge, any official support for purchase/activation of SWAP codes even at the dealer level. What you would need is support for purchasing feature activation documents, like what is available in other not-NAR regions. App Connect activation document 5G0054830A for example. You can buy this through a US dealer, but they can't activate it for you so it's a waste.

I don't know if an Activation Document for Performance Monitor exists. But if it does, and you bought it, and you did not live in the US... VW would connect your car to the mothership, go into whatever screen they need to go into, and enter the pin included with the document. The mothership would then generate a SWAP code (tied to your VIN) and activate it. Boom, you have performance monitor.

It is possible to generate and then enter SWAP codes (for supported features) using the tool at mibsolution.one and OBDEleven if you have a patched MIB (or patch your MIB) that supports the Performance Monitor feature code, which is 00060400 for MIB II. It may be the same across all MIB's, but don't quote me on that. Couple videos and thread link about this...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...g-fec-swap-code-to-mib-with-obdeleven.386903/

Anyway, assuming you do not have a patched unit, do not want to patch your unit, and/or are not comfortable with the steps outlined in the links... I would suspect that if you are in North America VW is never going to enable/activate performance monitor, unfortunately. It is possible there are some versions of MIB software that don't have Performance Monitor as an available feature. And then the other software in your car's modules may or may not provide all the data for the performance monitor anyway. So you could use the links above to enable it and find your car doesn't send data for Performance Monitor gauge.

Might help to think of it like MIB to MIB 2 retrofit. From the factory your car has certain SWAP features tied to your VIN. If you were to get your MIB replaced at the dealer they would restore the SWAP/FEC codes that belong to your VIN. That would re-enable voice control, for example. Some of those codes are the same between MIB and MIB 2. So if you were to do the MIB 2 retrofit you could go to the dealer and they could re-enable all of the features that your car already had. But there is no way for them to enable app connect, or enable navigation if you didn't have it.

In fact a VW dealer here in the states can't even enable app connect with the activation document that is specifically for enabling app connect. But in Europe you could have bought a car with MIB 2 and without app connect. And then at a later date bought the app connect activation document and had the dealer enable it.

So if the dealer tells you that a software update will bring performance monitor... that isn't true. If that person at the dealer is really into this kind of thing (like we are) what they should say is they are hoping that VW goes back to generate and assign the performance monitor SWAP code to every VIN whose sticker claims it as an included feature.

I have to assume that if VW assigned the swap code they would also have some option in the guided function that would modify the required adaptations for performance monitor to show. These are all in 5F infotainment I believe but they obviously can't expect (nor do they want) customers messing with these.

It's worth noting that having the adaptations properly set has no impact if you don't have the SWAP enabled. You still won't see the performance monitor. (This is similar to enabling the Off Road driving profile in your gateway. If you don't have the FEC It won't show. You spoiled Golf R drivers have a FEC for Race mode, while others just get Sport). Anyway, from what I've seen the cars without performance monitor do not have those adaptations set. So VW would need to take care of it.

I don't think that any of us think VW is going to do all that.

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Well, it's October 2022 and still no Performance Monitor HMI. I checked my MIB software and I have Version 0813, which I think is current. From what I read, the MK-8 has its share of software bugs, so with VW Engineers concentrating on those, us 2021 owners may permanently out of luck.