GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread**

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
I don't think it's a conspiracy, but to think the NBA, most especially Stern, does not push for a LeBron vs. Kobe finals is simply naive thinking. They would want this match up in order to sell world wide. Money talks, and they want another dream match like last year's Boston vs. LA. You couldn't sell LA vs. Orlando, but they sure as hell could get a lot of money out of a LeBron vs. Kobe finals.

absolutely. and i think it's bad for basketball.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Should have said uncontrollable instead I guess?

Back on topic: Pushing for, hoping for, wanting, are all different than conspiracy. Sure if you're the commissioner you're going to want an event that's good for the game and captures a widespread audience. That's with any sport I'd assume. However, there have been many a time in the past (near and far) when a team has made it to the finals that wasn't going to sell as many tickets as an LA or Boston match up. Yet time and time again these teams make it to the Finals. Yet if a championship caliber team like the Cavs comes back it's fixed?...Come on.

Doesn't matter I suppose. Chances are that after tonight it'll be all said and done and the Magic will advance. Cleveland's the town of sports heartache. No one expects a win anymore, let alone a championship.

Besides, I don't think the NBA would have that hard of a time selling the Bryant vs Howard ticket either. I'm on the side of the ones that think once Howard learns the game for a few more years, he should be the most dominant player on the court.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Ok, I'm not saying every game is a god dang conspiracy. I'm just saying that it's ignorance to think that there aren't any especially now. I brought up the James Jordan story as an example to show that it can still happen now... regardless of improvements of the game today. I know the Cavs are capable of coming back, and I know you were probably in defense mode of the Cavs when replying to my post, but what team do you know has come back being down 3-1 especially in a conference finals match? The only team I can think of is probably the Suns. Money talks as Remus stated and that leads to conspiracies/bullshit behind closed doors.

As far as where I heard about the Cavs sweeping Orlando and what not, I listen to three different sports radio shows to and from work/school nearly everyday. You may be twice my age, but knowing the game from just watching/reading/listening is different than knowing the game playing. If it wasn't for certain personal/family setbacks, I would be playing European ball.

I'm not a Cavs or Lebron hater Kirk, I think you jumped into defense mode way too quickly. I apologize if you got offended when I said that there conspiracies, and especially if the Cavs win the series. But I was just simply making a point... maybe I should've been more specific. I'm just simply saying that you have to be open about this stuff when and not deny the possibilities. And on top of that, it's super rare that a team comes back when they are down 3-1 especially in the conference finals. We all know the elites get extra whistles yada yada, and that Kobe vs. Lebron would be the "fantasy match-up." And of course the Cavs would be a better match-up for us. I'm just saying that certain aspects of the game since even the Jordan days have been fishy... not just this year, and we have no choice but to live with it.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
ESPN.com recently listed in an article a handful of teams that have come back from a 3-1 deficit in recent years. I think it was listed that the Cavs have something like an 18, or maybe it was 23% chance. As far as being defensive? You have a good point there. Probably was a bit defensive. Saying that it's bullshit if the Cavs win and something's fishy is naturally going to make a fan of the team a bit defensive. Anything can and sometimes does happen in the NBA postseason.

As I stated before, just a few years back Detroit was ranked number one. We were down 0-2 to them in the first two games...only to come back and sweep the next 4 games, winning in 6 as the underdog on the road. I think coming back from being down two games when being the underdog is a little more difficult than coming back from a 3-1 deficit when being the top ranked team. :shrugs:

On a personal note: That's cool that you were going to possibly play in the Euro league. I always thought you for a real short guy for some reason, that did things other than ball. Guess I was wrong. In any event, I don't just watch ball. I'm 6'4", I played in elementary, middle, and high school. And I still play the occasional pick up game at the gym. Never was good enough to play in college or anything like that. But I do have the trophies and an understanding of the game from a players perspective as well. That and about $1.50 should get me a cup of coffee. =) lol...Seriously though, basketball's one of the first things that tends to come out of a male patients mouth when they see me walk in their room at the hospital.

Last edited:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
ESPN.com recently listed in an article a handful of teams that have come back from a 3-1 deficit in recent years. I think it was listed that the Cavs have something like an 18, or maybe it was 23% chance. As far as being defensive? You have a good point there. Probably was a bit defensive. Saying that it's bullshit if the Cavs win and something's fishy is naturally going to make a fan of the team a bit defensive. Anything can and sometimes does happen in the NBA postseason.

As I stated before, just a few years back Detroit was ranked number one. We were down 0-2 to them in the first two games...only to come back and sweep the next 4 games, winning in 6 as the underdog on the road. I think coming back from being down two games when being the underdog is a little more difficult than coming back from a 3-1 deficit when being the top ranked team. :shrugs:

On a personal note: That's cool that you were going to possibly play in the Euro league. I always thought you for a real short guy for some reason, that did things other than ball. Guess I was wrong. In any event, I don't just watch ball. I'm 6'4", I played in elementary, middle, and high school. And I still play the occasional pick up game at the gym. Never was good enough to play in college or anything like that. But I do have the trophies and an understanding of the game from a players perspective as well. That and about $1.50 should get me a cup of coffee. =) lol...Seriously though, basketball's one of the first things that tends to come out of a male patients mouth when they see me walk in their room at the hospital.

But yeah, other than the points that I was trying to make... there's no doubt that anything can happen in the post season, and even in the regular season. Being down 3-1 is probably the worse because you're at the verge of being eliminated... not only that, they factor in all the other pressures with different stakes on the line.

LOL! That's cool dude no problem :thumbup:, no hard feelings here no worries. Yeah, especially on forums like this it's hard to tell what type of person they are... maybe any forum in general. Could be talking to a tranny and wouldn't even know it :bellyroll:. I wish I would 6'4" like you... I would be a Chinese Lebron... no j/k. I need like 1.75" more to dunk... grrr. I'm about 6' exactly, and played combo guard my whole life. My younger brother who is turning 20 is 6'2 1/2" and I get jealous of his height all the time... think it's because I hit the weights too early/too many squats as well that caused me to stop growing lol.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
Been gone a week in Cabo San Lucas... I Still watched every game on the big screen at the hotel and all I can say is the Lakers have stepped up their game. The whole team is playing well especially the game when we did not miss a free throw all night. Although I was very surprised that Cleveland got knocked out without much of a fight and they could have easily got swept by Orlando. All we need to do is plant both 7 footers in the paint to defend Howard in the finals and we should be money :happyanim:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Nice, welcome back :thumbup:. Yeah, I think we need to play a lot of high zone on them, and one of the key factors is to make our damn shots.

1 more day... :biggrin:

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
Thanks Jax... I wish I was still on vacation, Cabo is off the fucking hook...

I just dont see who is guarding Turk on the three point line, Lamar? I hope he is not hitting mad shots because that would be out only problem. I would foul Howard every time he drives the lane because he is worse than shaq at the line :lol:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Thanks Jax... I wish I was still on vacation, Cabo is off the fucking hook...

I just dont see who is guarding Turk on the three point line, Lamar? I hope he is not hitting mad shots because that would be out only problem. I would foul Howard every time he drives the lane because he is worse than shaq at the line :lol:

Lucky... glad you had a good time :smile:. I want to goto Cabo lol. Hopefully you didn't get the Swine Flu, j/k :bellyroll:.

Yeah... I'm a little worried about the match-ups. Phil better not put Gasol on Rashard Lewis or we are in deep shit. I think Odom will seriously be tested this series... and I hope his back gets better asap.

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Lucky... glad you had a good time :smile:. I want to goto Cabo lol. Hopefully you didn't get the Swine Flu, j/k :bellyroll:.

Yeah... I'm a little worried about the match-ups. Phil better not put Gasol on Rashard Lewis or we are in deep shit. I think Odom will seriously be tested this series... and I hope his back gets better asap.

there are some tough matchups both ways. if he doesn't put gasol on rashard lewis, that leaves gasol on superman. i think gasol on lewis is a better matchup for the lakers than gasol on howard.

bynum is a lot stronger than gasol, to guard howard, but fouls a lot more than gasol. that could be a big issue too.

on the other side, i think howard guarding bynam isn't tough, but howard trying to guard gasol faced up to the basket will get him in foul trouble as gasol puts the ball on the floor.

the lakers may be best off putting odom at the 4 to match up with lewis (they're very similar players) and at least on the offensive end, have gasol as the only true big in the game. if they do that though they could get MURDERED on the boards.

the entire series could hinge on howard staying out of or getting into foul trouble..

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Yep, true. That's why I said Odom will be tested, and implied that we need to play him against Rashard. Either way, hopefully Phil will rotate Bynum and Gasol and figure out a strategy by game's end, hopefully sooner :bellyroll:.

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Yep, true. That's why I said Odom will be tested, and implied that we need to play him against Rashard. Either way, hopefully Phil will rotate Bynum and Gasol and figure out a strategy by game's end, hopefully sooner :bellyroll:.

you can be sure that LA will go inside for the first few minutes of every game to try to get a couple quick ones on howard. or at least... i would if i coached against the magic

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
you can be sure that LA will go inside for the first few minutes of every game to try to get a couple quick ones on howard. or at least... i would if i coached against the magic

Yeah, for sure. I don't know about the long run though... that's why I hope we can make our shots. But we can't let them make us play their style of basketball like they have to all the other teams. It's going to be interesting... I'm a bit worried though I'll have to admit. :bellyroll: