GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Anyone have some thin flat pedals they'd recommend using for trail riding?
What type of riding do you plan on doing with them? I use straitline amp flat pedals with my DH bike. They aren't the thinnest but they are one of the strongest out there.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
We had a bit of a hectic day on the mountain bikes today.

This type of terrain

We had a group and got a good ride going. We started from the south side, road up the mountain down the north side into town for a stop at the coffee shop and the headed back up the mountain back the way we came. The one guy Kelly is hauling up, hits a rock and goes over the handlebars face first into a huge granite slab knocking a couple teeth loose and chipping another, face pouring blood like a faucet turned on. He took a couple minutes, visibly angry, and waited for the bleeding to stop. He was alright so we kept going. After a short while he stopped to take a breather which is weird, he races XC, he's fast a hell and doesn't get tired. Then another breather and another. By the third it was just my wife and I waiting with him (he kept telling people to go ahead) and he was kinda just staring into space at the mountain. His fas was obviously bloody but this time I noticed a trickle of blood coming down from in his helmet and I'm like shit.

I started asking him questions and I said man what did you hit, was it your stem? (knowing full well he slammed his face into a mountain). He had no idea. He didn't know what happened, didn't know where he was was, didn't know where he parked, how he got to where we were stopped, he couldn't fathom how the rest of the group got ahead of us and he kept repeating the same things over and over again. I'm like ok we're done, come on we're turning around and walking our bikes back down to the closest way out (about 4 miles away) and we'll have them pick us up where we can ditch out onto a dirt road. It took a little convincing at first to get him to follow me. He kept saying he was alright and wanted to try to ride, luckily he wasn't argumentative about it, I would just say no we're gonna walk and he was like oh, ok. Then a couple minutes later he'd ask again. I made sure I stayed in front of him and walked my bike the entire way down so he wouldn't/couldn't get on and try to ride. Let me tell you, hiking is one thing, trying to hike with your bike in mountain bike shoes that don't flex and have a metal cleat on the sole down rocky stuff. He just kept repeating the same things over and over. I had my phone and my wife's phone watching them both waiting to get some signal so we could get a hold of the group and let them know what was going on. I was able to get a voicemail, he got it and spread the word once he hit an area with some signal. We got him down the backside of the mountain and the one guy was waiting with a car to take him to Urgent Care and another picked us up and drove us back to the other side of the mountain where we parked.

Shit happens, especially on a bike, but it was a bit of a scary moment. I just hope when it's my turn to be in his position someone is there and willing to do the same. They did a CT scan and luckily there was nothing serious, he got a pretty good concussion, put some teeth through his lip, took some skin off his nose (amazingly without breaking it) and he has to go to the dentist tomorrow to see how sever the dental damage is.

DaButcher

Ready to race!
Jeez glad everyone is ok. It's stories like this that make me want to buu full face Helmet and pads even when I'm just riding xc. Also makes me realize how stupid it is when I ride by myself. Stay safe everyone. Riding bikes is only fun until you can no longer ride them

GolfR1031

Ready to race!
Was on vacation and while my GF was in the shower I decided to browse the Craigslist for that area. Found this guy selling a Brand New In Box Garmin Edge 500 for 150 bux. Called him up and picked it up after dinner that night :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 239

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Tons of choices out there but some can get pricey. If I ran "flats" I would inquire with the mountain biking masses on Pinkbike, VitalMTB, or MTBR.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/round-up-best-new-flat-pedals

What type of riding do you plan on doing with them? I use straitline amp flat pedals with my DH bike. They aren't the thinnest but they are one of the strongest out there.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is mostly XC/Trail riding. I ended up trying out Xpedo Sprys. They're Magnesium, 11ish mm and 260g for the pair. Got them for fairly cheap, considering. So far they hold up nicely and grip really well.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's done and it's f'n gorgeous!

The frame with shock and rear axle came in under 6 lb, total the whole bike came out to be 27lbs 3oz completely ready to roll with pedals, sealant, everything.

Frame - Devinci Atlas XL carbon
Shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3
Fork - Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm
Crank - RaceFace Turbine Cinch cranks w/ direct mount 28t narrow/wide chain ring
Bottom Bracket - Race Face Cinch BB92
Shifter - SRAM X01 11sp trigger - black
Rear Derailleur - SRAM X01 11sp - black
Cassette - SRAM X01 XG-1195 10-42 11sp
Chain - SRAM PC XX1 11sp 118L w/PowerLock
Wheelset - WTB Frequency i25 rims / DT Swiss 240 disc hubs / DT Swiss Super Comp spokes / DT Swiss ProLock alloy nipples / 15mm-142x12 / Gorilla Tape / Stan's No Tubes Valves
Pedals - Shimano XT PD-M780 cageless SPD
Front Brake - Shimano XT BR-M785B hydraulic disc
Front Brake - Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor
Front Rotor - Shimano XT Ice-Tech RT-86 180mm
Rear Brake - Shimano XT BR-M785B hydraulic disc
Rear Rotor - Shimano XT Ice-Tech RT-86 160mm
Grips - Ergon GS1 - Black - Large
Saddle - WTB Pure V Pro
Seat Post - Thomson Elite (test post is installed now to fit it for straight or setback)
Bars - Thomson MTB Carbon Trail bars (750mm wide, 12mm rise, 6° backsweep and 4° upsweep)
Stem - Thomson Elite X4 black stem (80mm 10°)
Front tire - 29 x 2.3 WTB Vigalante TCS Light/Fast
Rear Tire - 29 x 2.25 WTB Trail Boss TCS Tough/Fast
Sealant - Orange Seal

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
It's done and it's f'n gorgeous!

The frame with shock and rear axle came in under 6 lb, total the whole bike came out to be 27lbs 3oz completely ready to roll with pedals, sealant, everything.

Frame - Devinci Atlas XL carbon
Shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3
Fork - Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm
Crank - RaceFace Turbine Cinch cranks w/ direct mount 28t narrow/wide chain ring
Bottom Bracket - Race Face Cinch BB92
Shifter - SRAM X01 11sp trigger - black
Rear Derailleur - SRAM X01 11sp - black
Cassette - SRAM X01 XG-1195 10-42 11sp
Chain - SRAM PC XX1 11sp 118L w/PowerLock
Wheelset - WTB Frequency i25 rims / DT Swiss 240 disc hubs / DT Swiss Super Comp spokes / DT Swiss ProLock alloy nipples / 15mm-142x12 / Gorilla Tape / Stan's No Tubes Valves
Pedals - Shimano XT PD-M780 cageless SPD
Front Brake - Shimano XT BR-M785B hydraulic disc
Front Brake - Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor
Front Rotor - Shimano XT Ice-Tech RT-86 180mm
Rear Brake - Shimano XT BR-M785B hydraulic disc
Rear Rotor - Shimano XT Ice-Tech RT-86 160mm
Grips - Ergon GS1 - Black - Large
Saddle - WTB Pure V Pro
Seat Post - Thomson Elite (test post is installed now to fit it for straight or setback)
Bars - Thomson MTB Carbon Trail bars (750mm wide, 12mm rise, 6° backsweep and 4° upsweep)
Stem - Thomson Elite X4 black stem (80mm 10°)
Front tire - 29 x 2.3 WTB Vigalante TCS Light/Fast
Rear Tire - 29 x 2.25 WTB Trail Boss TCS Tough/Fast
Sealant - Orange Seal

Beautiful bike, sir. :thumbup: Did you pull your parts off your hard tail or just buy the same stuff again?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Everything is brand new, the only parts that are the exact same as the hardtail are the the grips and tires.

The hardtail has a 100mm Fox evolution CTD trail adjust fork, 1x10 XO drivetrain but with a mid level crank, Magura MTS (MT5) brakes, longer Thomson stem, skinnier Thomson post, cheaper version of the SPD pedals.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I had my first "crash" on my new bike yesterday while getting a ride in before catching my fight :( I got taken out by a deer. Nobody was out, I had the normally pretty crowded trail to myself. I rounded a fast corner and there was a bunch of deer on the trail, they all got spooked and scattered. One ran straight across the trail and clipped the leading edge of my front tire jerking the wheel to the side. It steered me right off the trail and went down. Luckily it was in a grass section not a rock section, i has hard on the brakes prior to contact so it wasn't a high speed crash, no damage to me or the new bike. Mule Deer is a fitting name for the breed because that one was a jackass!

Wednesday morning means trails to myself

One of these fuckers took me out