GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Montoya to NASCAR

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting tired of closing threads. We expect everyone here to be mature members and have a certain level of self-policing. Please treat other members with respect and if you find that you can't hold your tongue on a matter (even though you know you should), please move on to the next thread.

Thanks!

JasonC

Passed Driver's Ed
I am thinking Montoya moved to Nascar, because he would rather be excited during his time behind the wheel. Sure F1 may have 14 corners, but after the first 3-4 corners you do not have groups of 4-10 cars battling into a corner at high sppeds. The feild spreads out more. With Nascar, they go 2-3 wide into corners at 200+mph, there is drafting and strategy in there as well.

That is why I am thinking Montoya went to NASCAR.

JJ I am not trying to stir up any more arguing, I am trying to stay on topic and give my reason to why Montoya is moving to NASCAR.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Jason JMP left F1 because he did not have a seat in a good team... He even offered to drive for Mclaren, his current team, for free... So his choices would have been drive with a second rate F1 team, retire or move to a different series... It was not his initial wish to leave F1 he was forced out.

not too sure why he is an excellent driver but is prone to a few too many risky moves which when he pulls them off they are stunning but when he fails he takes a few other cars out...

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
wow we have seen JPMs last F1 race, he's out early

De la Rosa to replace Montoya
11 July 2006

McLaren have announced current race driver Juan Pablo Montoya will not drive for the rest of the 2006 season and test driver Pedro de la Rosa will race alongside Kimi Raikkonen for this weekend’s French Grand Prix.

Montoya confirmed at the weekend that he planned to leave Formula One racing for NASCAR next year. He will now spend time in Miami with his wife Connie, who is expecting their second child in September and prepare for his NASCAR debut.

Chip Ganassi, the boss of Montoya’s new NASCAR team, has already revealed that he expects Montoya will start racing in NASCAR this year and it is understood the Colombian will begin making preparations, almost immediately, for his debut.

"I know that it will be a tough transition but I'm really excited about the opportunity to move into the NASCAR championship,” said Montoya in the McLaren statement. “I have enjoyed most of my time in Formula One and I'm grateful for this opportunity to settle my personal life and concentrate on my future career."

Montoya joined McLaren in 2005 and finished fourth in the drivers’ championship during his first year. So far this season he has climbed to sixth place in the drivers’ standing after winning 26 points for the team.

“Juan Pablo is an exciting driver and immensely likeable character who will undoubtedly make a successful transition to the NASCAR scene," commented McLaren team principal, Ron Dennis. "We have agreed that with so many things happening in Juan Pablo's life right now, he should take some time out of the car and prepare professionally and personally for the future."

De La Rosa has been a McLaren test driver since 2003. The Spaniard has only competed in a race for Mclaren once - in the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2005 - but managed to finish in fifth place to score four points for the team.

"I'm of course extremely thrilled to have this opportunity to race the MP4-21 - a car in which I'm really comfortable," said Pedro de la Rosa. "I know the MP4-21 better than anyone else and I'm confident that I can achieve important World Championship points for the team."

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I personally find it rediculous that others don't think that Nascar is as difficult as any other form of racing (be it F1 or whatever). I prefer to watch Formula racing more but also respect the skill it takes to win a Nascar race where the competition is so equal. Actually, I prefer to watch the Rally series over both of them and think that a rally car driver is just as skilled as an F1 driver or any of them. There's no downgrading by going to Nascar. It's simply a new challenge for these people to accomplish.

And to be quite honest with you. I've heard many a people say that the most difficult race in the world is the 1/4 mile. And there's good arguement to that as well. F1 deserves no more respect than any other great racing series. They're just different styles with different ways of getting the win.

P.S. I'm not trying to start any debates. I'm just saying that racing is racing and they all deserve respect.:thumbsup:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Vivid said:
wow we have seen JPMs last F1 race, he's out early

did my links not work?...or are u just too good to hit em?

my first post held this info...which is why i made this post...lol

funnycar

Autocross Champion
Watching an F1 car is mesmerizing. The lateral g forces, hangin corners with mere inches to spare, gotta rank up there near sex. Watching an F1 event as a race is a MF bore.

There are news articles on the net with real, authentic actual quotes on JMP's decision to race nastycars. :rolleyes: I can see his decision from both sides of the fence.

As far as nascar being boring,,, you damn right! The wife won tickets to the Richmond race and we left at lap 204 of a 400 lap race. When the drunks start snoozing, it's boring. :biggrin:

funnycar

Autocross Champion
kirk180 said:
Actually, I prefer to watch the Rally series over both of them and think that a rally car driver is just as skilled as an F1 driver or any of them.

Hey, what channel is the WRC televised? Haven't seen the first race this year. My opinion is those guys are the best drivers in racing period. And my favorite racing is NHRA nitro classes.

TIA

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
kirk180 said:
I personally find it rediculous that others don't think that Nascar is as difficult as any other form of racing (be it F1 or whatever). I prefer to watch Formula racing more but also respect the skill it takes to win a Nascar race where the competition is so equal. Actually, I prefer to watch the Rally series over both of them and think that a rally car driver is just as skilled as an F1 driver or any of them. There's no downgrading by going to Nascar. It's simply a new challenge for these people to accomplish.

And to be quite honest with you. I've heard many a people say that the most difficult race in the world is the 1/4 mile. And there's good arguement to that as well. F1 deserves no more respect than any other great racing series. They're just different styles with different ways of getting the win.

P.S. I'm not trying to start any debates. I'm just saying that racing is racing and they all deserve respect.:thumbsup:

lol thanx Kirk....but ive already tired that....if u read like my last 2 or 3 posts i said the same thing

every race car driver deserves respect for what they do in their choosen class

racing NASCAR or F1 or Rally or even AMLS...it takes the same qualities...consentration,will to win,focus and talent along with some other attributes that i cant think of...so racing one over the other makes no difference

i mean shit people...most of the people started out racing go-karts or even SCCA type racing...then most moved on to Midgets or Outlaws or another type of "entry level" racing...and from there they all moved on to different types of racing...be it F1 or NASCAR or ALMS

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:
did my links not work?...or are u just too good to hit em?

my first post held this info...which is why i made this post...lol

I just have you in my ignore list. :biggrin:

I thought your link was to say that JMP was moving to NASCAR which I read about yesterday before your post today...

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Now WRC drivers are insane... although F1 is the pinnacle of the sport with the combination of technology and driving, it would be very hard to say WRC drivers are not just as skilled.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
funnycar said:
Hey, what channel is the WRC televised? Haven't seen the first race this year. My opinion is those guys are the best drivers in racing period. And my favorite racing is NHRA nitro classes.

TIA
Speed channel use to have all the races on it. You can try to find out more at www.wrc.com It's a gret website with lots of info to be found. Usually it's a summary type show due to the obvious inability so show them all running the course. Whenever I've caught it on tv, it's tended to be on later at night.

Freek I know you said my same type statement already. I'm just trying to back it up.:thumbsup:

funnycar

Autocross Champion
kirk180 said:
Because I too got a little flustered at the down playing of a Nascar driver.

They have to be quite talented, the cars are heavy, evil handling, & have narrow tires. Unless your name is Bodine & then you just drive like trying to pick up a lit doobie rolling around the floor board. :biggrin: