GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
How much less efficient is the twincooler than IE for example? If they are comparable, I would prefer the Twintercooler for the epic looks of the FMIC w/colored hoses

Perry01

Ready to race!
How much less efficient is the twincooler than IE for example? If they are comparable, I would prefer the Twintercooler for the epic looks of the FMIC w/colored hoses

Less pressure drop with the IE plus that epic looking twincooler makes your air conditioner less efficient as well.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
So far i take it the general consensus leans towards stock located FMICs, yes?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Luckily for me I live in the PNW, so not even sure an IC upgrade is necessary

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Luckily for me I live in the PNW, so not even sure an IC upgrade is necessary

Even in cooler weather the stock ICs will heatsoak if tuned! But if you're not doing back to back pulls more than 2-3 times then you're probably fine. Still, aftermarket ICs are always great because they have less pressure drop then the OEM... which means your turbo is t having to work as hard to produce the same result.

Pretty much, but it depends on your goals. I say for stage 2 and less, the front mount ones are fine. For IS38 and beyond, my personal recommendation is the stock mount due to the higher capacity they can handle.

Also if you like your AC as much as I do in Texas summers, you'll probably agree with me in that I don't want anything blocking the AC!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
It seems all the data that has been posted is stopping at ~5800rpm. Any reason for this? From experience, you'll see a significant rise in IAT past 6000rpm through to redline (~6800rpm). Stock intercooler consistently exceeds 50*C IAT at 6500+rpm, which is in the territory of where the ECU starts to apply corrections to reduce power due to high intake air temperatures.

Would you guys enjoy seeing a data-driven technical article on this subject? If so, what specifically would you guys bee looking to see? (Aside from the obvious comparison...)

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Stock IC definitely sucks once tuned. No doubt there is probably a 50° difference between a good aftermarket IC and stock when you hit stage 2 levels. I only stopped at that speed since I ran out of room and these were some of my early logging attempts.

The info I'd love to get from manufacturers are:
What "stage" is the car tested at?
What are ambient conditions (temp and humidity)?
Intake setup
Actual boost levels
Pressure drop
Was this done on dyno or real world roads? If on dyno, fan location, size, etc.
Intercooler fin design, density, number of bars

I think that's pretty much everything I can think of right now

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Went with IE because I got it for almost the price of a Uni FMIC's MSRP. No brainer. Then did all the pipe/plumbing associated with the IC and intake. #packagedeal

Perry01

Ready to race!
Red line is a bit of an ambiguous term. Is it where the red hash marks begin on the tach? Or where the solid red line begins? Or is it when the DSG upshifts under WOT? Or maybe when fuel is cut off?

Anyway, I've heard so many good things about the fitment and performance of the IE intercooler, I decided to place an order too.

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
Red line will be where the ecu cuts fuel or spark. The first line is the start of a warning zone. Stock, the car probably feels like it's running out of steam as its getting to that point in the rpm range because it looks like the torque drops off.