GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
image.jpg
Going in.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2,074
  • 9C121033-778B-47C2-AAA1-3FAB9BEB1C24.jpeg
    9C121033-778B-47C2-AAA1-3FAB9BEB1C24.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 422

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

so the MK8 version fits better???

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
so the MK8 version fits better???
I’d say so. They honestly both fit well. The mk8 version hooks onto the area where the control arms meet very nicely, but is slightly shorter in the front, and is raised so it definitely doesnt have air going above it. Overall maybe a slight difference as the panel is smoother.
The older one hooks in where the notch is missing on the mk8 one, so they probably perform similarly, personally like the newer one more. The mk5 one is out of stock everywhere and the mk8 is cheaper, so its a win for everyone. I did like that the older one seems to cover the area where the gas tank strap is a little more but I’m sure the new one has plenty of new research behind it.

The rear control arm bucket aero was nice as well. So far all these installs are a 1/10 on difficulty, thanks for your research Dave.(y)

Railman

Car(s)
Golf GTI
I’d say so. They honestly both fit well. The mk8 version hooks onto the area where the control arms meet very nicely, but is slightly shorter in the front, and is raised so it definitely doesnt have air going above it. Overall maybe a slight difference as the panel is smoother.
The older one hooks in where the notch is missing on the mk8 one, so they probably perform similarly, personally like the newer one more. The mk5 one is out of stock everywhere and the mk8 is cheaper, so its a win for everyone. I did like that the older one seems to cover the area where the gas tank strap is a little more but I’m sure the new one has plenty of new research behind it.

The rear control arm bucket aero was nice as well. So far all these installs are a 1/10 on difficulty, thanks for your research Dave.(y)
Thanks for posting this up, the 1K0501713D is obsolete and has been superceded by 713C. Which I believe may have been for the Beetle.

If the Mk8 version fits just as well and cheaper I may cancel my order for the 713C as its about £50 in the UK.

I assume we still require the other bracket to fit to the subframe?

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for posting this up, the 1K0501713D is obsolete and has been superceded by 713C. Which I believe may have been for the Beetle.

If the Mk8 version fits just as well and cheaper I may cancel my order for the 713C as its about £50 in the UK.

yeah. Same screwing points

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Yet looks like same fitment..let us know how it fits on a UK car..it should be the same...& the part number & cost....I'll then update the info as then two confirmed fits...one on NAR spec the other on UK/Euro spec...

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
You have the thin aero tray for the engine bay already fitted, so the Tiguan & the front exhaust tunnel trays can be done...nothing at the back except the plastic covers specific to the torsion beam rear suspension...

but these is a specific torsion beam version of the rear exhaust tunnel cover to cover the exhaust pipe to the right of picture before the fuel tank..

I installed it the front exhaust tunnel cover :cool: easy and lovely mod!

Next up: the rear exhaust cover..
I also found some unused mounting point near the rear exhaust, not sure if it's of any use... but I'll do some research :cool:

thanks again for such an epic topic!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I installed it the front exhaust tunnel cover :cool: easy and lovely mod!

Next up: the rear exhaust cover..
I also found some unused mounting point near the rear exhaust, not sure if it's of any use... but I'll do some research :cool:

thanks again for such an epic topic!

Thats for the torsion beam version of the multilink rear exhaust cover.....front part connects to the tray just at the very top of the picture..under rear seat

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Thats for the torsion beam version of the multilink rear exhaust cover.....front part connects to the tray just at the very top of the picture..under rear seat

Ahh, now I see. Thanks!

while googling, I also found the part number for the G8 front exhaust tunnel cover, although I'm not sure if it would fit, looking at the pics, but the mouning points line up:
5Q0825230K
overlay.png

OSLONA-BLACHA-PODWOZIA-VW-GOLF-5Q0825230K-Producent-czesci-Volkswagen-OE.jpeg

and some more info, maybe of use to clarify installations:

http://www.seatia.com/secon-964.html

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ahh, now I see. Thanks!

while googling, I also found the part number for the G8 front exhaust tunnel cover, although I'm not sure if it would fit, looking at the pics, but the mouning points line up:
5Q0825230K
View attachment 188597

View attachment 188598

and some more info, maybe of use to clarify installations:

http://www.seatia.com/secon-964.html

I saw the MK8 Golf underside awhile ago on a utube video.....& that metal cover I don't recommend as it will fit, but you have to cut your existing side panels..& we already have a MK7 cover...

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I saw the MK8 Golf underside awhile ago on a utube video.....& that metal cover I don't recommend as it will fit, but you have to cut your existing side panels..& we already have a MK7 cover...
I totally agree. I think it's very very noisy to have a metal plate there. But... I thought, it doesn't hurt to share the part number here ;-)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I totally agree. I think it's very very noisy to have a metal plate there. But... I thought, it doesn't hurt to share the part number here ;-)

I try not to mention other stuff which is not 100% suitable..people get very confused very easily....;)..

EDIT...maybe I ought to start a thread of "stuff NOT to fit to your MK7"...???...

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I try not to mention other stuff which is not 100% suitable..people get very confused very easily....;)..

EDIT...maybe I ought to start a thread of "stuff NOT to fit to your MK7"...???...

Idea: what if I make a Google doc, with a spreadsheet with part numbers and some logical structure that makes it easy to find the info :cool: :cool:

And a big column that says "compatible yes or no or ???"

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Idea: what if I make a Google doc, with a spreadsheet with part numbers and some logical structure that makes it easy to find the info :cool: :cool:

And a big column that says "compatible yes or no or ???"

knock yourself out as they say!.....:cool:(y).......I've still got a few write ups to do....when I get the time...I've done about 24 already!